Simpson Desert trip

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 06:21
ThreadID: 139108 Views:4905 Replies:8 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Hi has anyone current information on travelling conditions we are coming through from Dalhousie to Birdsville late next week. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 07:40

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 07:40
Lynore, the Simpson is always the same. It's sand, it's soft on dunes, and it's gouged on the dune faces so you will bounce up and down whilst trying to obtain traction. Set your tyre pressures at no higher than 18psi and be prepared to drop to 15 if you are finding it difficult.
And there will be vehicles coming at you blindly over the crests so be sure you have a good dune flag and ease over the crests slowly.
Have fun.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627861

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 09:35

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 09:35
Allan

You also forgot to mention that at this time of the year, the sand will now be powder fine and temperatures in the low 40’s, so make sure you bring your MaxTrax and a long handled shovel.

Seriously why people do not do their homework gets the better of me.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 902088

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 09:51

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 09:51
Stephen
Maybe he is doing some homework by asking here?
FollowupID: 902089

Follow Up By: dean ( SA ) - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 10:23

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 10:23
Fair enough question I would have thought.
Pointless asking about current conditions 6 months ago.
I'm sure if you asked at Mt Dare you wouldn't get some smart arse answer, just what they are and have a good trip.
FollowupID: 902090

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 10:26

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 10:26
Malcom

Any trip planning and homework is carried out well before any trip and not a week before doing it.

To enjoy the Simpson, travel is through our winter months and not when it is 40 degrees, at the end of the season when it will be cut to hell for so called experts that do not drop tyre pressures.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 902092

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 10:33

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 10:33
Stephen

All the OP asked for is for the current conditions.
Think you are over reacting mate.
FollowupID: 902093

Follow Up By: SKEB - Friday, Sep 27, 2019 at 20:31

Friday, Sep 27, 2019 at 20:31
For all the good Stephen has contributed he has undone it in one comment. Maybe they have done their homework and are just updating?
Who's knows..but it doesn't hurt to be polite though.
Simon.
FollowupID: 902128

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 07:06

Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 07:06
Simon

For any traveller that has driven the Simpson Desert, will be aware that the only times that things change out there is in times of serious rain, and from seasons changing from mild winter conditions to extreme hot and unsafe conditions for the other 7 to 8 months of the year.

The tracks out there will be cut to buggery from complete idiots that have no idea on sand driving and know what the meaning of reduced tyre pressures mean, sand very soft and will put everything under pressure and for the inexperienced can be a very daunting.

I have seen all type of drivers out in the Simpson Simon, from the well prepared, to the total idiots that should never be out there in the first place, and this goes to groups that charge for people to follow them and are called Cowboys.

To experience the Simpson Desert and enjoy your drive, you want to do it in the cooler months where you can take in its beauty, stop and get out to take your photos and admire the never ending vista of sand dunes that stretch to the horizon.

With temperatures in the 40’s, how can you can seriously say you will enjoy the drive?, or do they think it is going to be nice spring temperatures like in the milder part of Australia?

National Parks close the desert soon for a very good reason.......Duty of Care, as get caught out there in temperatures like that and your so called trip could turn into a life threatening situation.

How polite do you have to be when someone dies in a situation that could have been totally preventable? We are all responsible for our own actions and experienced drivers know that October in the Simpson is not a time to enjoy.

As they say, the truth often hurts and when someone writes the truth and facts, some people get offended.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 902130

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 13:55

Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 13:55
A tad self-righteous don't you think Stephen?

FollowupID: 902136

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 14:29

Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 14:29
Why are you flaming Stephen for expressing the 'bleeding obvious'?

I was the one who first responded with a rather blunt "The Simpson is always the same.." etc.
Lynore asked a rather simplistic "has anyone current information on travelling conditions". Which could mean anything.... track condition, weather, traffic, fuel availability, whatever. One could easily believe that this was a first and solo crossing, but no, we are later informed by Lynore.... "This is our second crossing, 2 vehicles. She should not need to ask!

When Stephen speaks of "homework" he is referring to doing a bit of research, some reading maybe, where one will learn of typical conditions of the intended trek, not just putting up a basic forum question and expecting 'all those nice people' to answer with it all on a plate for you. If you are going for an adventure, as Stephen says, do your homework, don't ask others to do it for you.

As for "current conditions" how do you sensibly answer that? A few corrugations maybe a washout or two, some stony sections and soft sand in parts? It is the Bloody Outback. If you cannot embrace it without having every little inconvenience spelled out for you then you should not be contemplating making the trek. In any case, "current conditions" can change dramatically very quickly out there as you would mostly know. What is the value of today's report? Either the road is open or it is not. You simply need to be prepared..... and do your homework.

I'm with Stephen.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 902137

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 15:01

Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 15:01
And everyone is wondering why there is only 6 people at the EO national gathering.

Seems pretty obvious now.

I"ll heed the advice above and seek my information else where then.

A once great source of information has come down to this, sad really.
FollowupID: 902139

Follow Up By: SKEB - Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 15:18

Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 15:18
Steve I agree, it seems both Stephen and Allan have made some huge assumptions and will stick with it.
As for the comments regarding the desert not changing and not enjoying it when it's so hot, each to their own.
I have been through the Simpson in fire and flood and have seen the tracks both chopped and pristine. All of this in October each trip.
Some if us enjoy the desert away from the crowds and cold.
The desert will be closed but that is some time away and a lot of travellers will still be able to enjoy it in the weeks ahead.
Helpful comments seem to be in the minority on this site now. It is sad.
Simon.
FollowupID: 902141

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 15:47

Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 15:47
Geez, poor old Stephen can't take a trick.
Gives some succinct advice and now he is the reason for the EO National Gathering flop.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 902142

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 15:51

Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 15:51
Steve and Simon

I am only giving sounds advise and we have no idea on the experience that Lynore and her party has. Hot weather in the Simpson and the sand will be very soft, and working on 40 degrees, you would want to be running at a start point of around 14psi.

I have seen people sand bogged, and when asked what tyre pressures they were running, the answer was 40psi......and you wonder why the snake dis so cut up.

As for "Helpful comments seem to be in the minority on this site now" what is not helpful with honest details?

Steve, as for your comment "And everyone is wondering why there is only 6 people at the EO national gathering"

I was not being smart, just giving an honest report what the desert will be like at this time of the year, as here in South Australia, some of our northern towns are forecast to be around 38 mid this week, so based on that alone, it will be low to mid 40's out in the Simpson.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 902143

Follow Up By: SKEB - Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 16:39

Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 16:39
Stephen, your comment..
"Seriously why people do not do their homework gets the better of me."

It was not helpful, it was smart. It also implied or assumed a lot. Something you yourself have been critical of over time.

Maybe a follow up question to Lynore would have been of use instead, this goes for more than one reply.
Simon.
FollowupID: 902147

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 20:03

Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 20:03
Well I've learnt that the desert doesn't change. No need to ask any questions then? People should take note that a reply that doesn't answer the OP's question but definitley questions the OP's competence, can leave a bad taste in quite a few people's mouths, unintended or not. You all seem like nice people, take note and chill, answer the questions and offer helpfull advice. If someone takes a comment the wrong way, apologise and explain what you really meant. The end.
FollowupID: 902154

Reply By: Member - 2208mate - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 10:20

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 10:20
There is always current info here, it's a public group... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1481606045467172/
AnswerID: 627869

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 10:33

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 10:33
Did the QAA Line in early July east west before turning onto the Hay River Track.
What we found was that the track was very badly chopped up on the eastern sides and considerably better on the western sides. The Eyre Creek diversion should no longer be required as it was horribly corrugated and very very dusty.

If you're going to do it do it. Every vehicle will require different driving conditions. I had to drive with much softer tyre pressures than my mate, due to my circumstances, BUT I just crawled up the dunes with very little bounce or sway compared with him.

Take it as it comes and adjust accordingly.

Also the use of Ch 10 was pretty good as there is now a system of marker points along the QAA Line (can't comment on points further west), with numbers on them so you can announce your accent on a dune based on your distance from these markers. worked well.

Enjoy the journey.

Dunc.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 627870

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 11:20

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 11:20
Hi Dunc,

Yes, the use of UHF may be "pretty good" until you cop a dumdum coming at you with no UHF, or he is on the wrong channel, or he either doesn't know how or doesn't care to operate it!

Use of UHF calling is not 100% reliable and are you really going to call every one of the 1100 dunes? To be safe, you need to drive as though there is someone charging up every opposite face with no warning. Letting your speed wash-off at the top until you are at walking pace is not only security against oncomings but also allows for assessment of the track direction change.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 902094

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 14:58

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 14:58
Fully agree Alan, but those that do use the radio and on the correct channel do help.

You will never be able to eliminate the "dumdum" brigade.

cheers

Dunc

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 902104

Reply By: pmk03 - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 10:50

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 10:50
Hi Lynore

Can't speak for the whole trip but we drove out to the park boundary from Birdsville & back a couple of weeks back.

Didn't find it difficult at all. Saying that the dunes were softer that I had seen before on a number of previous visits.
We ran 18psi & had a great day trip.

Eyre Creek bypass was still in place when we were there but is was a nice drive with lots of green & wild flowers

IMO That section was a drive in the park for us.

Cheers

Paul
AnswerID: 627871

Reply By: Member - Lynore R - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 11:22

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 11:22
Thanks for the f/book link. This is our second crossing and we have been planning for a while, 2 vehicles, we would have preferred to go earlier but sometimes you have to take the time that suits all. Thanks for replies.
AnswerID: 627872

Reply By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 17:18

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 17:18
The roads around Dalhousie seemed to be worse than usual to me this year, but I was in a different car so harder to compare.

Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 627877

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Sep 27, 2019 at 11:24

Friday, Sep 27, 2019 at 11:24
Along with 4 other vehicles, we did an E-W trip along QAA, French Line & WAA, into Mt Dare, the last week of Sept, 2019. QAA & FL were the usual, chopped up badly, but remainder of journey was good. Usual corrugations & bull dust going into Dalhousie.

As the others were going onto Chambers Pillar & The Alice, we made our farewells at Mac Clark Reserve, and I travelled along Madigan Track to Colson Track, then south to Rig Road, along it to K1, north on Hay River track to Camp 16, then east on Madigan, & into Adria to see a mate who works there. These last 3 days travel were much warmer, in high 30's & low 40's°, and made the early evenings less than comfortable. Didn't have anyone to whinge too, about the heat either!

Certainly much quieter at that time of the year too, so would need to make sure everything was 100%. The Eyre Ck northern bypass is no longer needed as there is a shorter one, about 10kms, to the south.

Enjoy,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 627892

Reply By: Member - Lynore R - Friday, Sep 27, 2019 at 12:14

Friday, Sep 27, 2019 at 12:14
Thanks very much for info
AnswerID: 627894

Sponsored Links