Bluetooth setup on auxiliary battery setup. Victron

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 29, 2019 at 16:15
ThreadID: 139125 Views:3996 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all I am figuring out what I want to do with setting up an auxiliary battery on my ute.

I am going to run a 20 amp dc charger to charge my battery and I am going to install a Victron battery monitor BMV702 with Bluetooth dongle. (got the 702 cheap so I can justify adding the separate dongle instead of paying the money for the 712)

I am also going to get some solar panels and I want to run a victron solar controller and initially I was looking at the Victron smart solar controller that has Bluetooth inbuilt.

I am starting to think, now that I am going to run the Bluetooth battery monitor that I may not need Bluetooth as well on the solar controller and just buy the Victron bluesolar controller that does not have Bluetooth.

Does this sound right? It looks like I will have to setup the solar controller to the battery through the shunt of the battery monitor and this should allow me to see all my information through the battery monitor anyway. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 29, 2019 at 17:06

Sunday, Sep 29, 2019 at 17:06
There is a Victron Charger with Bluetooth monitoring listed in the Classifieds.

Might do all you want and a lot cheaper.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 627920

Follow Up By: Member - stevenc - Sunday, Sep 29, 2019 at 17:46

Sunday, Sep 29, 2019 at 17:46
Thanks Bill, I already ordered my charger.
FollowupID: 902172

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Sep 29, 2019 at 17:09

Sunday, Sep 29, 2019 at 17:09
Steven
When you say, install a dc battery charger, I presume you mean a DC DC charger, as all battery charging is dc anyway. DC DC being, using main battery as the source supply for the DC DC unit. If the DC DC unit has also has a SOLAR input then you do not require a solar controller at all. You didn't mention capability of the charger. If you use a singular DC DC charger, ie battery to aux then a $100 Renogy 25 amp solar MPPT unit would suffice for the solar controlling to the battery. Way cheaper than a Victron solar charger but nothing wrong with them. The Renogy is a heavy unit and being MPPT harvests the most out of the solar panel. It has a 100v solar input so two panels can be series connected to create charging in lower light conditions. The Renogy has a screen which the most Victrons don't have and only rely on Blueteeth to somewhere. Unless you need Bluetooth for a particular reason it is an additional cost. You will have the battery performance catered for with the Monitor unit and it's Bluetooth. Jut a perspective on it all.
AnswerID: 627921

Follow Up By: Member - stevenc - Sunday, Sep 29, 2019 at 17:55

Sunday, Sep 29, 2019 at 17:55
Yes I did mean DCDC charger, I already have ordered one slowly getting all my bits and pieces together.

Re charger I ended up with the redarc 20 amp and it doesn't have dual input. Re Renology solar controllers have not looked into them and will check them out before I get one.
I think you confirmed my thoughts if I needed the bluetooth on the solar controller as well and it looks like I will not need it due to having the bluetooth setup with the battery monitor.

Re bluetooth I like having the option of being able to quickly check on my phone how things are going especially if it is not going to cost me a whole lot more.
Thanks
FollowupID: 902173

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Monday, Sep 30, 2019 at 20:07

Monday, Sep 30, 2019 at 20:07
that's the way i understood via a shunt ...
there are a few youtube vids on this sort of setup... Victron Todd Dunn
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 627946

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Oct 05, 2019 at 08:26

Saturday, Oct 05, 2019 at 08:26
Well, I have just returned from a bush camping trip and for the third time I have been evaluating the Victron 712 I have on my van.
In short, it is not doing what I what it to do.

I have a 120Ah Lithium Battery (which has its own internal management system).
After a couple of days the Victron tells me the SOC (State Of Charge) is very low and the battery needs urgent charging.
However, the voltage level is at 13.24 and the Van's compressor fridge is still running. I also deploy a 160w solar panel while stationary.
At no time has the battery failed to supply the voltage necessary to run the fridge, 12v water pump and lighting and I am confident that the battery's internal management system is protecting the battery from low discharge.

Once the Victron shows 0% charge, it sticks it head in the sand and will not function "properly", until it has received an overnight charge from a 240v charger, where it will again show 100% charge and an "infinite" level of Amp hours.
Also, the monitor fails to display any change in the charge rate from the solar panel.

I have a previous battery monitor which worked 100% of the time and showed everything that was going in and out of the battery, including the charge rate from the solar panel. The only reason I can't use this monitor is because it doesn't support Lithium Battery technology. But there again, in my opinion, neither does the Victron 712.

So basically, I have come to the conclusion that the Victron is not a practical monitoring device, as far as Lithium batteries are concerned, at this point in time.
A waste of $340 in my case.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 628000

Follow Up By: Member - stevenc - Saturday, Oct 05, 2019 at 11:33

Saturday, Oct 05, 2019 at 11:33
Thanks Bill appreciate your feedback from your current experience, what was the previous monitor you were using? I already have my 702 and I am currently getting all my bits ready for my install.
My battery will be a regular AGM, maybe the 712 doesn't play well with Lithium I do not know.
I just mainly want this to see what volts are and to see what current is going in and out of the battery. Hopefully it works for my install I will just have to wait and see how it goes.
Steven
FollowupID: 902275

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Oct 05, 2019 at 12:43

Saturday, Oct 05, 2019 at 12:43
Hi Steven,

The other Battery Monitor I own is a Nasa Marine BM-1 Compact, an excellent monitor and simple to setup.
It never failed me in displaying the voltage, Ah remaining and current State Of Charge. When the battery bank was receiving charge from either 240vAc, or 12v dc-dc charger via the alternator or solar panel, it displayed the appropriate reduced current draw from the battery bank. The 712 does not display anything different.

It may be I have not set up the parameters of the 712 correctly, although I doubt this is the case.
It may be more likely there is some sort of "conflict" between the Victron monitor and the lithium battery's built-in management system.

It surprises me the manufacturers don't keep up with changing technology and provide support for lithium batteries. It is only the lower level of discharge possible with lithium that is different as far as I know.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 902277

Follow Up By: Member - stevenc - Saturday, Oct 05, 2019 at 13:52

Saturday, Oct 05, 2019 at 13:52
Originally that is the one I was looking at, the BM1. Initially I saw CTEK made a monitor and than I found the Nasa one which seems identical, so I am guessing Nasa re badge it for CTEK.

Most of my research when looking for a monitor pointed towards the Victron brand, seems like it is the most common one used so I decided to go with Victron and I got a real good deal on the 702.

Re Lithium, I am sure as it gets more common and less expensive that manufacturers will develop their products to suit the technology.

FollowupID: 902280

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Sunday, Oct 06, 2019 at 21:32

Sunday, Oct 06, 2019 at 21:32
Bill
I have a lithium with built in bms monitored by a victron bmv700, no issues whatsoever, can only guess your setup parameters might be the issue?
FollowupID: 902312

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)