GPS References

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 11:11
ThreadID: 13914 Views:1549 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi y'all,

I'm off to Broken Hill, Tib, Innaminka during the Vic school hols, and am trying to find GPS refs for the trip. Does anyone know of a good resource that does not cost so I can put the refs in the GPS without doing it from the maps (More accurate) and can do it at home. I only have a Magellan 310 and it is perfect for my needs.

Ta

Red
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pluto - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 12:46

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 12:46
Hi Red

Are you looking for some kind of waypoint library? I haven't found one specifically for Australia, but such rescources are around. These libraries don't necessarily give you all of the waypoints you might need. Generally they only carry points of interest and are insufficient for creating a complete trip plan.

You could try using OziExplorer. It's not free and the maps are extra (Although there are some good general maps free for download on the site). It's certainly the best GPS planning tool I've come across. It's available here at EO. I recommend you start with the NATMAP Raster Mapsheets and then build you collection of digital maps from there.

There are also Free GPS interface tools, but I haven't used them much. Have a look at EasyGPS.

Pluto
AnswerID: 63911

Follow Up By: Greg Harewood - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 22:41

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 22:41
Red - If you’re keen on getting into GPS mapping then Pluto’s advise on getting OziExplorer is spot on – have a go with the trial version - its free and is certainly worth a go before laying out the $ for full version-

The Trial Version has almost all the features of the full version but with these limitations
o No communication with the GPS for upload/download
o No saving or loading of Waypoints, Events, Tracks etc
o No saving of map as an image file
o Will close down after 1 hour of running (must be restarted)
o All the files necessary to run OziExplorer
o Help file
o Demonstration data files.

No maps included but you can get by without these...(until you realise how handy they are).
Also has name search function so you can (with appropriate files downloaded) plot waypoints from modified version of the Geoscience Australian data base that Mad Dog pointed out.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 325107

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 13:30

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 13:30
Check out this (Exploroz) site - Trip Planning>Digital Mapping Data>Plot Swap
AnswerID: 63918

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 13:45

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 13:45
This may be of some help

Place Name Search
AnswerID: 63921

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 13:46

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 13:46
Dunno what the hell happened there

http://www.ga.gov.au/map/names/
FollowupID: 325032

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 13:53

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 13:53
This may be of some help

Place Name Search
AnswerID: 63923

Follow Up By: Red Patrol - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 18:49

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 18:49
Mad Dog,

Thankyou for that info. It is just what I need. Thanks to the others who replied, those sites are in the favourites folder for later.

Red
FollowupID: 325068

Follow Up By: Pluto - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 08:34

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 08:34
Red & Mad Dog,

I haven't used GA's Placename search very much, for two reasons.

1. You'll notice it records Lat and Long in degrees & minutes only. This is sufficient to get you close to a location, but in many situations, not close enough.

2. This database comes standard with OziExplorer, where you are able to quickly and easily fine tune the location data for a better trip plan.

GIve OziExplorer a try. It is one of the best GPS support tools around.

Pluto
FollowupID: 325164

Follow Up By: Greg Harewood - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 10:16

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 10:16
Pluto - correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t believe an actual database comes standard with OziExplorer only the name search function itself. You have to download a database or create one yourself. The Australian database in question is not even available directly from OziExplorer site..but others have made it available on personal websites (I think there maybe a few copyright issues that people may be ignoring, but don’t let that worry you).

On very good site is

Australian Name Search Databases

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 325169

Follow Up By: Pluto - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 13:03

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 13:03
The australian Name Search file (that ships with Ozi) is a conversion of the GA database. All be it an older, less detailed version, but still quite suitable for purpose. As you know. I don't recall where I read about this.

Thanks Greg, for the URL. It will be very useful.

Can you tell me. What is NST?
FollowupID: 325185

Follow Up By: Pluto - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 13:13

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 13:13
Greg,

Maybe our versions of Ozi are from different batches. I definately received an Australian Name Search database with mine.

I have tinkered with the namesearch database creator. Nothing serious. IMHO, your WA namesearch database is excellent.
FollowupID: 325187

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 13:46

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 13:46
Thanks Pluto, I already use oziexplorer and all of the above named search data bases plus some I have created myself. I agree it is a far superior way to operate but didn't mention Oziexplorer as for some reason I had it in my mind that the question related to online sources.
Oziexplorer and name search is a huge resource and one doesn't need a gps to take advantage of it. Like you I never bother with the online search, I find my collection of databases far superior.
FollowupID: 325189

Follow Up By: Pluto - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 14:05

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 14:05
That might be another good feature for OE. Along with Plot swap, there could be a name search library.

What do you think David?
FollowupID: 325192

Follow Up By: Greg Harewood - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:51

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:51
Pluto - sorry I was referring to downloaded version of OziExplorer - didn’t think about the CD version. Learn something every day.

NST (name search text) is just a file format used for making the name search databases. It is explained in a link from the link I gave above
Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 325318

Sponsored Links