Storage solutions for Children

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 11:57
ThreadID: 13915 Views:2315 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I was wanting to get my children into storage.....for all their junk in the car. At the moment they have their backpacks on the floor of the car. After travelling for a few hours, it appears that they have emptied the backpacks onto the floor and when they get out of the car, half of the stuff tips out onto the road. In the past we have used chair bags behind the front seats and they were better, but we did not have good quality ones.

I have thought about getting some sort of storage bag that would strap onto the cargo barrier behind their seats to carry some junk. Does anyone have any great ideas for getting kids to pack stuff into these bags instead of leaving it all on the floor? Does anyone know a good chair bag to use? Has anyone used to cargo barrier to mount some storage for things like coloring books or maps or whatever?

If nothing is available, is there something called "Kid storage"? (Little ones only!)

Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 12:11

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 12:11
Never used one, but some people use a cargo net, type setup slung over their heads attached at cargo barrier and at each side in rear seat area.
Or, Have some large bags made that hang off the back/top of front seats.
AnswerID: 63904

Reply By: Troopy Travellers - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 12:27

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 12:27
I thought "Grandparents" were the other name for kid storage options. LOL.

Have never known many kids that were tidy and put their things back where they should, half the fun seems to be spreading it around the room or car.

Sea
AnswerID: 63907

Reply By: Jen & Geoff - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 12:32

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 12:32
Hi A&J, We found it hard to find something that would not take up too much space, the best thing we came up with, was to make them a holiday hollow pillow. This was made with a covered foam, doubled over with one end and sides sewn up, then placed in a pillow case. This was used fulltime to store their bits and pieces, to sit on, sun protector, as a desk if needed and to sleep on. Just a thought! J&G
AnswerID: 63908

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 14:52

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 14:52
Greeting Big Kidz,

Trust all well, glorious weather here at moment, don't know why more people don't live out here??? Maybe summer has something to do with it?

Try Summit gear in Katoomba NSW, they sell and make a lot of climbing, camping gear and used to make cargo net type thing, such as you are chasing, Andrew. Went through school with the owner. Sorry haven't got a phone #.

Regards,
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 63933

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 15:00

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 15:00
Hi Bob Y

I guess that this is the joint. I will email them...and tell them Bob Y sent me. He (or is it a she!!!!) might have some stories about you too.

Thanks

Andrew
FollowupID: 325042

Follow Up By: duncs - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 15:47

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 15:47
Big Kidz

Have been travelling with kids for the last 15 yrs and have never even come close to having a tidy back seat area.

I don't know what the answwer is but I can tell you this. If you find one that works you will be very rich very soon.

Grandparents are good but the trouble is they all live so far away.

Good luck
Duncs
FollowupID: 325050

Reply By: Member - Fred - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 16:13

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 16:13
There were some canvas bags for attachment to cargo barrier on a stand at the Adelaide Caravan and Camping show - various sizes with [I think] press studs on tape for attachment
Sorry can't remember name of company but could have been Austral Canvas on Port Road
AnswerID: 63946

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 18:06

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 18:06
Andrew one reason I bought the Trak Shak was because I can close it with the kids still in it.......yes I drilled air holes...it makes for a stress free trip....ok maybe not, but sometimes I like to think about doing it.

I tried tubs under the rear seats, their own back packs, map holders on their doors, bags tied to the back of the front seats, and now seat covers with pockets in them for their stuff.

No luck with any of it, the really weird part is they seem to come back with so much more than they left with, the seat cover pockets will be bulging by the trip home, and thats with most of their stuff that was neatly packed in said pockets is around the seat and floor. So if you do find anything that works, let us all know.
AnswerID: 63963

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 20:18

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 20:18
You would reckon that something would work. Locking in the camper sounds a great idea - but we haven't got one. Drives me nuts to find the floor covered in pencils and papers and books and gameboy games etc. It's shocking - sometimes looking at it you would reckon you were in my study... hahaha
Andrew
FollowupID: 325088

Follow Up By: Paul - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 23:17

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 23:17
Before I upreaded to a Patrol....suffered the similar problems, crap every where, food/drinks squashed into the carpet,

I now have the DX Patrol......Vinyl intrerior.....its great....arrive at the destination, sweep it all on the ground....pick up the obvious rubbish...tell the kids it they don't pick it up and put it away in 5 minutes ....its all in the bin.

Paul
FollowupID: 325293

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 20:12

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 20:12
Andrew & Jen,
I know "Michells sacks" do all these sorts of fancy storage bags, you could get something made specfically for what you want if you really want to. ARB outlets sell these bag sack and things, I think there is also a web site. The quality is good. My opinions and I'm not affiliated.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 63990

Reply By: Member - Cruisin (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 08:07

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 08:07
http://www.michellessacs.com.au/images/orgs.htm

Its a Beauty...Use it for my own stuff as have no kids.....YET !

Cheers Cruisin
AnswerID: 64034

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 14:18

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 14:18
'Yet' sounds promising...

They look great....... looks just want I want so I will have to get some. Next post will be "How do I get the kids to use their storage"

Hahahhaha

Andrew
FollowupID: 325194

Reply By: Member - Cruisin (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 17:15

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 17:15
Enjoy
AnswerID: 64092

Sponsored Links