Drysdale River Station to Mt Barnett

Hello out there,

Just wondering if someone could give me the travelling distance between Drysdale Station and Mount Barnett on the Gibb, struggling to work it out.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Louise
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Gramps - Saturday, Oct 12, 2019 at 22:29

Saturday, Oct 12, 2019 at 22:29
If you mean Drysdale River Mission Station (near Pago) and Mount Barnett Roadhouse, it appears to be about 397km.

If you mean Drysdale River Station and Mount Barnett Roadhouse, it appears to be about 166km.

Somewhat confusing :)

Regards
AnswerID: 628141

Reply By: lou_r - Saturday, Oct 12, 2019 at 22:42

Saturday, Oct 12, 2019 at 22:42
Oops I meant Drysdale River Station but google says 167 ks and 7 hour drive. So I'm a little confused myself ??
Thank you
AnswerID: 628142

Follow Up By: Gramps - Saturday, Oct 12, 2019 at 22:55

Saturday, Oct 12, 2019 at 22:55
I haven't been there yet but both the Gibb River Road and Kalumburu Road have a reputation for being less than pleasant driving experiences at times, so maybe the 7hr travel time is not out of the question.

Someone more familiar with that area will undoubtedly comment shortly.

Regards
FollowupID: 902428

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2019 at 07:12

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2019 at 07:12
Drysdale end of the kalumburu Road is not so bad not much difference to the Gibb Road as mentioned can be quite rough at times, Google would be playing it safe with travel times where as the kalumburu end of the kalumburu road is quite rough , slow going, bone rattling & car braking experience.
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 902473

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 13, 2019 at 08:12

Sunday, Oct 13, 2019 at 08:12
Google gives absurd times for travel on outback roads. Just ignore the times. It must use an average speed of 10kmh to avoid litigation over travelling too fast.

Or the coastal areas get Google to do this to put everyone off of going outback or on dirt roads.
AnswerID: 628145

Follow Up By: lou_r - Sunday, Oct 13, 2019 at 09:35

Sunday, Oct 13, 2019 at 09:35
Thank you,
Yeah, it's ridiculous. Hopefully someone can provide better info than the all knowing google ????
FollowupID: 902433

Reply By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 13, 2019 at 11:31

Sunday, Oct 13, 2019 at 11:31
It will be a hard one to answer due to the conditions of the road that changes all the time (week to week let alone year to year) & what you’re travelling in & if you’re towing. This year in May I found the road to be fine & could cruise at a comfortable pace, others flu past me & I caught up to others. At some of the many camps sites travellers felt the road was terrible where I did not think any of it was bad on the entire Gibb (I have seen it really bad), The usual section from Kalumburu to Honey Moon Bay & Pago Mission was bad with corrugation & did have me down to 1st gear with no hope of getting on top of them in sections
Have a good trip & on the Gibb just go with the conditions, & always allow extra time, those who try to plan it to be at every point on time/day are normally the one’s that have problems
No matter what, it will be easier than my 1st trip by road in the sixties as a Kid we drove in an open Dodge 4x4 Power wagon towing a Carapark Caravan & it was like a bulldozer track north of Drysdale station
AnswerID: 628147

Sponsored Links