lpg bottle

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 20, 2019 at 19:43
ThreadID: 139215 Views:19674 Replies:12 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
tried to change my gas bottle at shell/coles servo today,for a full one,it was 18 months over the 10 years,thought they had to be checked and stamped every 10 years,asked the attendant about it she just looked at me,she had no idea,will go somewhere else,any advice please
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: malken - Sunday, Oct 20, 2019 at 20:00

Sunday, Oct 20, 2019 at 20:00
Bunnings, they do not check or never have when I have changed over.
AnswerID: 628233

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Oct 20, 2019 at 20:04

Sunday, Oct 20, 2019 at 20:04
Which was the out of date one? The one you left or the one you got?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 628234

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 11:10

Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 11:10
I'm still attempting to work that out as well
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 902528

Follow Up By: Gramps - Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 11:41

Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 11:41
Appears to be the one he got was out of date.

Regards
FollowupID: 902529

Follow Up By: Member - Barry P (VIC) - Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 13:32

Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 13:32
should have explained better,did not take the bottle from shell as it was out of date.have kept the one i was going to swap for theirs,will get it refilled else where
FollowupID: 902531

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Sunday, Oct 20, 2019 at 22:23

Sunday, Oct 20, 2019 at 22:23
They need to check the date when refilling but swap & go type's don't need to , i think most don't check ??
Q did they refuse you ?
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 628235

Follow Up By: Member - Barry P (VIC) - Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 13:35

Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 13:35
i refused to take their bottle,
FollowupID: 902533

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 19:32

Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 19:32
When i was doing some research on youtube
I saw people refilling there own camping gas bottle .... now that seems risky !!
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 902547

Follow Up By: Dion - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2019 at 13:59

Wednesday, Oct 23, 2019 at 13:59
boab, why is filling your own camping gas bottle - risky?

FollowupID: 902573

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Oct 24, 2019 at 17:50

Thursday, Oct 24, 2019 at 17:50
Agree with Dion, we used to fill the small 2 kg gas lantern bottles from a 9 kg bottle all the time when we used gas lanterns. Now with the modern LED camp lights & lithium batteries, we no longer use gas lanterns.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 902584

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 07:27

Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 07:27
I took an LPG 9kg cylinder into Bunnings last week and it had an expiry date of 03/08.
Replaced with a full "Swap'n'Go" bottle for $26 (no checking of date stamp) and noticed the replacement bottle had an original expiry date of 02/08, so the "new" legal bottle was older than the one I took in.
Swap'n'Go is owned and maintained by Elgas and there is no restriction mentioned on their website for expired bottles, apart from the fact that only 9kg and 4.5kg bottles are supported.
It was a no brainer for me.

For many years I bought my own bottles and I preferred to have float style gauges to indicate gas level. The cost of refilling these (9kg) bottles was $19-$22, depending on where I went.
At the end of their expiry date you needed to either have the bottle tested and recertified, (similar cost to new bottle) or disposed of and a new bottle purchased anyway.
I have two situations where I use LPG.
Two 9kg bottles on my van with a changeover lever so that when one bottle is empty you simply change over to the full one and recharge (or swap) the empty at some convenient time.
Two 9kg bottles for my outdoor heater and BBQ at home. If the BBQ bottle exhausts it's gas supply, I take the one out of the heater (used rarely) then refill the empty at some convenient time.
So I didn't "need" a visual gauge to tell me when a bottle needed refilling and the gauges only gave an approximate level only.
So I am now more than happy to use Swap'n'Go bottles, (which you actually own) and with outlets everywhere across the Country. The only "problem" I see is that it would be nigh on impossible to have a Swap'n'Go recharged at a refill outlet as the original expiry date stamped on the bottle is more than likely well out of date. Obviously, Elgas check (test?) empty bottles before refilling so all should be OK there.

I have one other expired bottle (from the BBQ/Heater group) which was a similar age to the other I exchanged for a Swap'n'Go and I will also take that into Bunnings for another Swap'n'Go bottle as another spare.

So, I have been converted folks!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 628237

Follow Up By: Member - Allan L2 - Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 07:42

Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 07:42
Copied from the Elgas web site.

Reference to out of date bottle swap is made on line 7.

SWAP'n'GO Gas Bottles - BBQ Gas Bottle Exchange Replacement
You get gas bottle exchange in your choice of 8.5kg or 3.7kg SWAP'n'GO gas bottles sizes. Gas bottle exchange is perfect for your BBQ, patio heater, camping and caravan fuel needs.
SWAP'n'GO BBQ gas bottle exchange replacement allows you to swap your empty BBQ gas bottle for a full SWAP'n'GO gas bottles exchange replacement
(BBQ gas bottle refill), without having to wait for anyone to refill gas bottle at petrol station.
You can BBQ gas bottle exchange any 9kg* or 4kg* BBQ gas bottle refill, even out-of-date bottles.
You can also BBQ gas bottle exchange any brand or colour for a full BBQ gas bottle replacement.
You are also free to choose SWAP'n'GO gas bottle exchange replacement or LPG gas bottle BBQ gas refill (patio gas bottle) when the BBQ gas bottle is empty.
*Actual fill of a "9kg" BBQ gas bottle exchange BBQ gas refill (patio gas bottle) is 8.5kg SWAP'n'GO gas bottles. Actual fill of a "4kg" BBQ gas bottle exchange BBQ gas refill is 3.7kg

Cheers
FollowupID: 902520

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 09:00

Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 09:00
Swap N Go hydrostat all out of date cylinders before they repaint them grey.
Any of their refilled bottles are therefore in date again. They should have been re-stamped to reflect this but...
AnswerID: 628238

Reply By: GerryG - Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 09:57

Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 09:57
Pretty simple really...........I take note of when my old knocked about bottle is almost out of date, (and gas), take it into the "B place" and as the young staff member reaches in to get a refilled, but plain looking bottle, I go "no not that one. Get the shiny one at the back".
Chances of getting a reasonable new one are good! Guess it wont work so well now I've blown my little secret.........Lol.
AnswerID: 628239

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 12:48

Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 12:48
Bit off topic maybe I have an old (like 45 years) Primus stove with a fitting for the Primus internal valve cylinders. The bottles are hard to buy except the small ones.

I have a few bottles and had one out of code and empty and thought about replacing it with newer type and using an adapter etc ... but turned out to be much cheaper to get it tested.

In 10 years I probably won't be needing it much.

Cheers
AnswerID: 628242

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 15:15

Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 15:15
Interesting to read another iteration of this. Our local Canberra (Phillip) Home Timber and Hardware store will not accept out of date cylinders for 'swap and go' and actually checked the date, the last time I went anyway. They use Supaswap which is part of Supagas. They also refused to supply more than one cylinder unless I had a ute.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 628243

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 20:55

Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 20:55
That is just dumb!! They are trying it on, big time!
They are OBLIGED to accept an out of date cylinder, but also OBLIGED to test and re-stamp it before reissuing.
They need to check the rules, and they will see that it is OK to use an out of date cylinder until it is empty, regardless of the stamped date. It is, however, ILLEGAL to refill an out of date cylinder without a thorough test - which the gas supply company should pay for, as it their product they are protecting.

If any place will not accept an out-of-date cylinder for swap, I'd be heading elsewhere.
FollowupID: 902549

Reply By: Member - Barry P (VIC) - Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 19:23

Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 19:23
lpg bottle.went to another servo today,found a bottle,12 months old,swapped mine over ,it was only 7 years old,checked other bottles there ,some were 15 years old,had a sticker on them ,said they had been checked,out in the bush you would not be able to get these bottles refilled ,if they were 10 years old or more ,speaking from experience
AnswerID: 628249

Reply By: Dave B18 - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2019 at 05:45

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2019 at 05:45
The swap-n-go bottles are all rechecked AND stamped.
They are usually not stamped in the same location. Often stamped on the rim on the base of the LPG cylinder.
Do people honestly think that LPG companies would be stupid or silly enough to put untested LPG bottles back into service.
The conspiracy, BS and ignorance you see posted on forums at times is alarming.
Why not phone the LPG company and ask them rather than getting ill informed to wrong information posted by people that are clueless to the industry operation.
AnswerID: 628259

Follow Up By: ksinclair1 - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2019 at 08:57

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2019 at 08:57
Not in my recent experience from Bunnings. Practically went through the entire stock before finding a stamped in date bottle, and not the first time this has occurred. I explained to the salesman, that unless it is stamped in date, it is nigh impossible to get it refilled in remote areas. Whilst I believe the bottles have been tested and re painted, they are NOT always stamped. This practically forces you to return to an Elgas (swapngo) outlet where they accept out of date cylinders. Purely a business ploy in my opinion.
FollowupID: 902554

Follow Up By: Dave B18 - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2019 at 10:34

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2019 at 10:34
Read my lips, under Australian pressure vessel regulations ALL LPG bottles are stamped. Look for the new stamp date which is not always obvious, but it will be there. Australian companies engaged in the usage of pressure vessels and even more so ones containing flammable gases especially to retail customers are not going to ignore Australian compliance.
There would had to have been changes to the regulations in the last three months about pressure vessels not being stamped, and to my knowledge that has not happened and would never happen.
FollowupID: 902563

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2019 at 14:10

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2019 at 14:10
Well Dave after being given an out of date bottle at Bunnings, I did ring Swap and Go and was told be them they self test and do not restamp the bottles as there is some exemption that allows them to do this.

Supposedly when each bottle when it is returned is fully inspected and tested and given a new coat of paint - but stamping is not done - hence the anecdotes in the thread about bottles not showing a valid stamp. However while I have had issues in the past, all three bottles I currently have have recent test dates but these are the original makers test dates. I always check them now.

Now your assertions may be totally correct, but I am only repeating what Swap and Go told me.
FollowupID: 902567

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2019 at 10:05

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2019 at 10:05
I prefer to keep my own bottles. In our setup our gas useage is minimal. We have two 4 kg bottles and have always been able to find a filling station to refill the empty one before the other one runs out. It's cheaper that way and we don't end up with an unfillable expired bottle.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 628263

Follow Up By: nick g1 - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2019 at 11:40

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2019 at 11:40
Totally agree Frank
I have 2 ×9kg galvanized bottles that l have had for over 30yrs. All in test and perform perfectly.
You get a new valve every time they are tested, every 10yrs, and l know everything is legal.
Better to be your own boss than rely on someone else!
FollowupID: 902564

Reply By: Member - IndroCruiser - Monday, Nov 25, 2019 at 23:46

Monday, Nov 25, 2019 at 23:46
Readers might find the article at this link to be helpful, so as to avoid speculation. It comes from the ELGAS website. ELGAS supply Stop’N’Go. See --Gas Bottle Testing Facts - By ELGAS
This a lengthy article but it is worth reading it all. Note that just as one would expect for consumer pressure vessels of the kind used for BBQ's, caravans, camping, etc, a date-expired Gas Bottle MUST have a new date stamp placed on it SOMEWHERE, indicating the Gas Bottle has been properly inspected and tested by an authorised person, before the bottle is refilled and sent back into circulation. The original date may still be visible.
Non-compliance by self-filling an expired Gas Bottle does not get around the requirement -- this simply exposes the non-compliant person to liabilities should an incident occur.
Where no such renewal stamp can be found on an exchanged Gas Bottle, the Gas Bottle should be refused and the distributor informed of the reason and requested to attach a "Do Not Use" label. One would hope that Shop Assistants are aware of these requirements -- but that is not always the case.
2006 Toyota HDJ100 Landcruiser Sahara 4.2 T/D - AHC/TEMS, BFG A/T 275/65R17, ARB Deluxe Bar, Kaymar Single Wheel Carrier, ARB Intensity lights

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 628800

Sponsored Links