4x4 maps

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 23, 2019 at 18:36
ThreadID: 139227 Views:7230 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just brought a 2018 prado and just wondering if any one knows of 4x4 maps on a micro sd card?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2019 at 18:43

Wednesday, Oct 23, 2019 at 18:43
Do you mean to load into the Prado's nav system? If so, I doubt any are available unless the original system has been replaced with an after market one that can run Ozi Explorer or some such. In which case there are many digital maps available, some of the best being the EOTopo suite. There are many others, often available on CD or download and you transfer them to a suitable SD card.

My experience is with EOTopo, EO Traveller and buckets of maps on Ozi Explorer. Others will have other options for you.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 628276

Follow Up By: Dave B18 - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2019 at 19:27

Wednesday, Oct 23, 2019 at 19:27
Oziexplorer is definitely the pick having tried all.
https://www.oziexplorer4.com/au/
Being able to design your own screens for Oziexplorer to suit your own needs if you want is great. Easy and software is free for download to make new screens.
8" Lenovo Tablet is great. New model out this week which is ideal for OziExplorer. The new model 8" with 2Gb ram is not yet on the Lenovo website. Wouldn't be far away, and definitely worth waiting for over the current model E8. Basically the new model is much the same as the previous model to the current E8 which was the Tab 4 Alt 8 which I own. Lenovo took a wrong direction with the E8 and realised it fairly quickly and bringing back the better model again. Basically Lenovo went to cheap when they had no competition.
FollowupID: 902575

Reply By: Dave B18 - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2019 at 19:16

Wednesday, Oct 23, 2019 at 19:16
https://oziexplorer4.com/eng/aussie_au.html
Overall found them surprisingly good.
Used them fairly extensively..
AnswerID: 628277

Reply By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2019 at 21:56

Wednesday, Oct 23, 2019 at 21:56
There's quite a bit of discussion about the Prado maps issue on the Pradopoint website LD and although it's been a while since I read threads on the topic, from memory people have used a variety of workarounds to try and get Toyota's navigation system to recognise other maps - with almost zero success.

Seems there are two practical solutions:
(1) Replace the Toyota head unit (not that difficult to DIY) with a new-tech Android head unit. Prices vary, but say ~$600. These will run pretty much everything you want. You won't be limited to Toyota's outdated maps and can source detailed maps from a variety of suppliers (paid and free maps available). You may also want to consider a mapping program to manage your map data and trips. Exploroz has lots of info on that topic.
(2) Run a second, independent, display such as an Ipad/tablet with your maps, mapping program and GPS installed. The tablet can also be used for internet, email etc.

AnswerID: 628279

Sponsored Links