Tasmania at xmas time

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 24, 2019 at 12:49
ThreadID: 139228 Views:5456 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
How busy is Tassie to tour in Jan, I know the southern parts of Oz are busy at this time of year, but is it ridicules. I have toured there before but never at this time of year (Travelling in self-contained 4x4 motor home) I have checked I can get on the ferry on a few dates
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Oct 24, 2019 at 15:07

Thursday, Oct 24, 2019 at 15:07
If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate a second - book it now ! Tassie is the perfect place to visit in January. We have been over for 3 weeks from Christmas Eve into January and almost never booked a site - there's free camps all through the forests. We did all the 4x4 treks and never saw a vehicle in those places but it was a little busy on Bruny Island, and on the NW coast, and of course booked out at Cradle Mtn - all the tourist hubs. But very quiet when you actually get into the heart of 4x4 spots.

Try this link for 11 different 4x4 Treks in Tasmania.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 628285

Follow Up By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 24, 2019 at 17:47

Thursday, Oct 24, 2019 at 17:47
Thanks Michelle
Have travelled many of the 4wd tracks over the years but was concerned about this time of year, but I’ll book it now
FollowupID: 902583

Reply By: mechpete - Thursday, Oct 24, 2019 at 17:14

Thursday, Oct 24, 2019 at 17:14
school holidays in Tassie at xmas is caos if possible wait till school goes back
then its beautiful
mechpete
AnswerID: 628286

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Oct 24, 2019 at 18:42

Thursday, Oct 24, 2019 at 18:42
We've been 3 times in Feb/March. Great weather, no crowds. For my money that's the best time.
Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 628289

Reply By: rumpig - Thursday, Oct 24, 2019 at 18:52

Thursday, Oct 24, 2019 at 18:52
4 or 5 years ago we did 5 weeks in Tassie over December and January....about a week before Xmas we were down the Southern End of Tassie at Southport / Cockle Creek area, we were lucky to find a campsite there, but it turned out all the sites already set up on were empty of people, locals take thier vans there weeks in advance and set them up and then must come back camping after Xmas. We camped Xmas day and days either side of it at Maquarie Heads near Strahan, wasn't super busy but got more popular after Xmas day. New years we spent on the West Coast around Arthur River / Sandy Cape area, wasn't busy there at all...after N.Y. we headed North further and came across some big crowds in a camping areas there. For the most part we had no issues at all finding places to camp in that 5 weeks, rarely did we book somewhere to stay as we didn't know where we'd be, National Parks and free camps weren't ridiculously busy like the East coast mainland gets.
AnswerID: 628290

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Oct 24, 2019 at 23:50

Thursday, Oct 24, 2019 at 23:50
You will find it very busy in the school holiday period to the end of January, and I think will have trouble getting into caravan parks and national park campsites at the high profile destinations.
As others have said, from Feb through to pre-Easter is the best time, but even late autumn after Easter is good with cool but settled weather.
As a proud Tasmanian I can promise you it is a great destination, so give yourself plenty of time - don't make the mistake of thinking it's a little island you can whip around in a week or two.
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 628294

Reply By: phantom - Friday, Oct 25, 2019 at 08:34

Friday, Oct 25, 2019 at 08:34
Go for it
We were there during Christmas for 4 weeks 2 years ago. We booked in for the first 3 nights at Stanley then just winged it going forward with some great free / low cost camps including Hobart showgrounds.
McQuarie heads was very nice with lots of room and we did the boat trip out of Strahan up the Gordon River.
We managed a great site at Cockle Creek for a few days, and a great spot at Friendly Beach on the East coast.
We found that arriving around mid day was the best time to find a site.
We did book in advance for Cradle Mountain.
We also bought a National Park Pass which was great value.
AnswerID: 628295

Sponsored Links