Article Comment: Anne Beadell Highway

Hello, I intend to do Anne Beadell track at Christmas 2019 from Dec 22 to Dec 28.
Any one knows the last condition of the track? Is it reasonable to schedule 6 days?
All advises are more than welcome.
Many Thx!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Core420 - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 05:53

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 05:53
It's not a good idea to travel that remote track in summer. The temperatures can be up in the 50s, that's in shade! It is also a time when most Australians celebrate Christmas, so if you need recovery you will suffer delays. Six days is also out the question. Its a badly eroded track in places. Plan for 20-40 km/hour. Do more research on this.
AnswerID: 628430

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 07:27

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 07:27
Benoit...

Expect, as usual for the Anne Beadell, heavy corrugations in many sections along with sand.

“Is six days enough? “

The more time the better to immerse yourself in, and to enjoy this iconic track.

In December it will be extremely hot and pushing your vehicle to complete the entire track in that time frame will possibly expose you to potential failures.

Are you an experienced Outback traveller or (potentially) a visitor to Australia?

Your choice of timing is not ideal and unless you are a seasoned Outback traveller, familiar with remote travel and all the preparations required for remote travel, both for vehicle and participants, I’d suggest you choose an alternative.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 628432

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 07:44

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 07:44
Benoit

First and foremost I would be ringing Ilkurka Roadhouse to make sure they are open.....

As you intend travelling well out of the normal tourist season, they may be shut and if that is the case, you will be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

There is so must to see out there, but the weather will be your enemy.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 628433

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 09:32

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 09:32
I agree with the other replies - this is a great track, but you are proposing to go at the wrong time of the year and going so quickly that you won't get the most out of the journey. We did it a couple of years ago and took just under two weeks to enjoy the sights along the way. It is rough, corrugated, narrow and rutted in parts, but easily travelled if you take your time.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 628434

Follow Up By: Benoit D - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:32

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:32
Thank you all for your feedback. Deeply appreciated . It is now very clear for me that I totally underestimated the timing of the year. So changing my plan now, following your warning, and... as recommended... did more research.
I think I would have to abandon the idea of a trip from Alice Spring to Perth... )Except if you have alternative road to propose) and I will focus on a combination of track around Perth.
I have seen that their are quite a few (including Holland track) that can be combined together to do a nice 4WD tour of 12 days.
About us: we are a French Family (with 2 kids 13 and 8). We are passionate about self organised outdoor adventure and 4WD treck and we have done quite a few: We lived in Africa and in Middle East. We have crossed the sahara desert from Cameroun to France in total autonomy via Nigeria, Niger, Algeria, Tunisia (one month). We have done multiple treck in Island, Northern Europe. Middle East and Africa.
But...we have not yet explore Ausralia outback and this is clearly on the top of our list!
Given the above, would you be so kind to recommend us a combination of track in South WA (around Perth) wich will build or a 10 to 12 days loop from Perth.
Many Thanks in advance for your kind suggestion.
Benoit & Julie
FollowupID: 902811

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 16:37

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 16:37
Hi Benoit andJulie,
The area of WA south of Perth is a good idea at that time of year, and there are plenty of tracks to choose from. We particularly like Esperance from where you can go to Cape Le Grand and Cape Arid, and do some beach driving. If you wish you could tackle the track out to Israelite Bay and then go up to join the eastern end of the Nullabor Plain at Balladonia and then come back to Perth via Norseman and the Peak Ranges national park.
There is also a new track south from Perth recently opened by the local 4WD enthusiasts, but I can't remember the name of it. If you search in Trek Notes on this forum you will find lots of useful descriptions of locations, points of interest and degree of difficulty for tracks all over Australia.
Unfortunately you need to tackle the northern areas and the central deserts in our southern hemisphere winter. We have done a bit of travelling in those areas with some Belgian friends who used to come each year, and leave their camper stored in Aus when they went back to Europe.
If you have the time to travel between May and September, two of the best journeys are the Kimberley loop (north-west) along the Gibb River Road starting from Kununurra (or Darwin if you first want to visit Kakadu NP) and then back from Broome along the sealed highway - on this trip places like Mitchell Falls, Cape Leveque and the Bungle Bungles are spectacular.
In the centre, the loop from Maree up the Oodnadatta Track, across the Simpson Desert, and back down the Birdsville Track is an iconic trip for Australian four wheel drivers.
Hope you enjoy whichever route you choose.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 902824

Follow Up By: Member - Core420 - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 22:10

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 22:10
Summer time is not really a good time to be anywhere in central Australia because of the extreme heat. There are two alternative routes to Alice if you must. The safest in terms of numbers of vehicles traveling (and therefore could assist in case of trouble) is across the Nullarbor on the A1. It is all sealed and there are several road houses/motels. The other route is The Great Central Road. All dirt and less travelled, but you still won't be the only one for days ( like you would be on the Anne Beadell). There are also several road houses.
FollowupID: 902830

Reply By: Member - 2208mate - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 10:47

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 10:47
A very satisfying trek and going once is rarely enough!

If you are not an experienced, hot weather and resourceful traveler, it is definitely the wrong time of the year for your voyage.

Here's an interesting read... Body disposal is far more sophisticated these days though and has moved along from using a front end loader to gouge out a local grave.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/one-wrong-turn-and-their-fate-was-sealed/news-story/940ad72f592f59100d98501aca979b2c?sv=b86090699de0a8c38043898df86afa2d
AnswerID: 628435

Reply By: qldcamper - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 11:14

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 11:14
As stated, do a lot more research. It is getting close to the time when we start hearing about rescues and deaths in the deserts and undoubtably there will be 3 or 4 this season too, dont let you and your family become statistics.
AnswerID: 628436

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 11:34

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 11:34
Sadly there has been one tragedy in WA in the last few weeks. Two men, bogged car near not particularly remote Lake Moore north east of Perth.
The men headed off in different directions to find help.
One was found, the other died.
Very sad.

FollowupID: 902810

Reply By: Jackolux - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:12

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:12
Going there in the middle of summer ya nuts .
AnswerID: 628437

Reply By: Candace S. - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:22

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:22
I drove the AB from west to east in August and it was great!

But six days is too little time. And no way would I be out there in the middle of summer!
AnswerID: 628438

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:33

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:33
There is a good classic saying...

“Only mad dogs and Englishman go out in the noon day sun”
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 902812

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 16:27

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 16:27
Yes Stephen, but where do Frenchmen go? lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 902823

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 13:19

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 13:19
Even the Holland Track is a risky trip at that time of year.
It is likely that the only others out there will be some Germans who also often do not understand the serious risks of temperature in the Australian summer.
There is no water and the other serious risk is an uncontrolled wild fire. Not the place to be in mid summer.
These pics were taken in 2006. It is much slower and rougher now.
These pics were taken in September, just after the wet/cool season. If it rains while you are out there you may need to wait several days before it dries out enough to get out.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 628442

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 16:37

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 16:37
European tourist in the Australian bush in summer.
Got bogged, no one came by and she died of thirst.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 902825

Follow Up By: Member - Robert1660 - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 22:23

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 22:23
The terrible irony with respect to Caroline Grossmueller was that to recover her vehicle apparently all the police did was deflate the tyres on the vehicle she had used and then drive it out of the bog.. Again the message is travel in groups in remote areas and have a good understanding of your vehicle and how to recover it. As mentioned in many of the posts summer is not the time to be in Central Australia regardless of your experience!
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 902831

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 23:04

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 23:04
I did it with a group in July this year. It was very badly corrugated and in our group two vehicles broke rear springs and one had the bullbar come loose on one side and it had to be removed. Make sure your vehicle is in good condition and lower your tyre pressures. Do not attempt it alone. Take a SatPhone.

Before we left the RAA agent at Coober Pedy had just done a recovery for $5,000. He advised that it is the worst he had seen the corrugations and if he had to do another recovery he would charge $10,000.

Time of your trip is not the best. The weather will be hot. It will put added stress on your vehicle and yourselves. You will have to carry extra water.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 628452

Reply By: Dusta - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 12:26

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 12:26
Benoit . First you want to do the holland track and you have been told to not do anything east of perth in the height of summer and now you are asking about one of the most remote and inhospitable tracks in WA . I am concerned that you are wanting to do these tracks when you don't live here and have the equipment nor knowledge to attempt a track like this, let alone when temps will push 50 degrees as said earlier .

Also you'd be hard pressed to find a rental company that would allow such a remote track to be done in their car . Have you thought about what would happen if you broke down out there with two kids ? What emergency equipment would you carry or would you be like every other tourist and just expect a free ride from our emergency services because you went somewhere totally unprepared ?
AnswerID: 628472

Follow Up By: Gramps - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 12:37

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 12:37
Dusta,

He asked about the Anne Beadell first. Then after advice he switched to Holland Track. I suggest you read all of his comments, in the correct order before going off and dismissing it as "just another know nothing tourist". He is far from inexperienced but sensible enough to ask for advice.

Regards
FollowupID: 902849

Sponsored Links