Need someone to checkout 4x4 in Fyshwick ACT

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a 4x4 from Fyshwick in the ACT, I am in Vic. Who would you recommend to check it out?

Thanks, Kevin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Nov 22, 2019 at 09:40

Friday, Nov 22, 2019 at 09:40
I can’t help you, but it might help if you mention the make of vehicle that you want inspected.
AnswerID: 628751

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Nov 22, 2019 at 11:16

Friday, Nov 22, 2019 at 11:16
Hynes
Would you really trust someone you don’t know or never seen to inspect a used vehicle and then buy it unseen based on their report? Best to do a drive and look yourself for a decent assessment of condition and you can also drive it personally to determine IF it is ok for you.
AnswerID: 628753

Follow Up By: Member - willawa - Friday, Nov 22, 2019 at 13:05

Friday, Nov 22, 2019 at 13:05
Could try NRMA
FollowupID: 903288

Reply By: Keith B2 - Friday, Nov 22, 2019 at 15:14

Friday, Nov 22, 2019 at 15:14
I a in Sydney and bought a 200 Series second had several years ago. I arranged for the local Toyota dealer to do a pre purchase inspection at my cost and the seller was happy to cooperate.
Keith
AnswerID: 628757

Reply By: Bazooka - Friday, Nov 22, 2019 at 16:19

Friday, Nov 22, 2019 at 16:19
Kevin - NRMA

Presumably you've asked the owner about log books, issues, accidents, tyres, paint, finance on it, garaging , towing history, warranty etc?

NRMA Mobile Inspections
AnswerID: 628758

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 06:09

Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 06:09
Bazooka, some years ago I was looking for a GU Patrol, found what I thought was suitable, but was in QLD, I was in Vic. Not a problem, get RACQ to inspect and if all good, fly up and look myself. Inspection done, very good report, fly up, hire car to go and inspect, what an utter piece of garbage the Patrol was, engine bay had surface rust every where, all the alloy bits were corroded, underbody had been spray painted black to cover the rust I presume, the interior looked to have done 3 or 4 times the claimed miles. Walked away. I reckon it had been a resort pick up vehicle, lots of beach work. Rang RACQ to ask why the report never mentioned any of the above, girl said hang on the Inspector is here and put him on, his response, "saw those things but didn't think it mattered"...... I was gobsmacked, so I would take whatever the NRMA, RACQ, RACV etc give you as a report as not very good guide only.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 903302

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 10:15

Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 10:15
Before I bought my Prado I researched vehicle inspection options in Vic and Qld John. From memory RACQ and RACV both employ contractors to do their inspections and suffice to say the feedback I saw varied from the sublime to the ridiculous - similar to your experience. These days incompetence like that would (should) bring a small claims court case, esp if the RAC was involved. I bought from Melb in the end after a lot of research via Toyota and following great communications with the seller - a terrific bloke - who provided photos and answered every question I put. Before I flew down I basically had a very solid picture of both the vehicle and the seller (the power of the internet can be wonderful at times). I was happy to use NRMA in NSW if that turned out to be case but didn't actually check how they ran their remote inspections.

In case Kevin looks again, I was thinking actual NRMA-employed mechanics in the ACT. I haven't asked around for many years but they used to have an excellent reputation.
FollowupID: 903305

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 13:20

Saturday, Nov 23, 2019 at 13:20
My experience with NRMA inspections is exactly the opposite of John's - in my experience they are pedantic to the extreme and most of their reports would scare anyone off from buying a car.

The last time I used them was for my own car coming to the end of warranty on a 12 month old car - they picked up a lot of stuff, most meaningless including that the seat rails had corroded through and needed replacement (was just a bit of too much special grease used on the rails when the car was built).

On the basis of their report I would never have bought my own car yet there was nothing of importance and nothing to claim warranty on.

If someone wants to do an NRMA inspection on my car - fine but I am not putting myself out to assist - if it can be done in the front yard fine but otherwise nuh - I write off that buyer as they also want me to discount the price of the $300-$400 (or whatever it costs these days) off the advertised price.
FollowupID: 903312

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 05:01

Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 05:01
An RACV inspection of a car I bought failed to reveal it was a cut and shut, ie. the good halves of two wrecks welded together.
FollowupID: 903322

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 11:51

Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 11:51
Did you get get your money back Sigmund?
FollowupID: 903325

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 13:08

Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 13:08
The checks are a basic visual check so if the cut and shut was done properly it most likely would not have been picked up with a visual inspection.
FollowupID: 903326

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 17:23

Sunday, Nov 24, 2019 at 17:23
There are two levels of check offered usually Ozzie. Thought that numbers and/or a REVS checks would pick up cut and shuts but I guess spivs have found some way around it ?
FollowupID: 903333

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Nov 25, 2019 at 15:00

Monday, Nov 25, 2019 at 15:00
several years ago now NRMA discontinued vehicle inspections as they were sued by a buyer after not revealing a cut and shut.
They reinstated them later and I went for the job of manager of the section. I missed out as they wondered how mechanics would have any respect for a non mechanic, which is how they got themselves into the mess the first time. Go figure.
Regards
AnswerID: 628796

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Nov 30, 2019 at 13:11

Saturday, Nov 30, 2019 at 13:11
For vehicle inspections, I often only rely on trusted associates that I know have the necessary skills to pick up dodgy wheels.
Other times, I rely on good, comprehensive photos, and adequate information provided by the seller.

If I find something that looks like what I want, I put down $50 or $100 (non-refundable) deposit to hold it, while I arrange to look at it, promptly.

Putting down a deposit ensures you're telling the seller you're genuine. If no money changes hands, don't expect the seller to hold the vehicle, they have the right to sell the vehicle to the first person who puts a deposit in their hand.

Buying used is always a lottery, but you can get a good idea of the overall condition of the vehicle by the way its been used, who drove it, what they towed with it, and for how long.
You can buy a vehicle that presents perfectly, and a transmission or engine can blow up within months, sometimes for very little reason.

Avoid vehicles that have been used on or near the beach a lot, avoid vehicles owned by 18-24 yr olds, avoid vehicles that have been used for heavy towing for extended periods of time.
Also avoid vehicles where maintenance has been very patchy, particularly long periods between oil changes - and definitely avoid vehicles that have been "chipped", or showing signs of chips being removed.

Do your research on vehicle registers, records of accidents involving the vehicle (SWO or Written Off, Repairable), if available. Rarely do you get a warranty with a 4x4, so tread carefully.

Good vehicles, that are well priced, sell fast, so you have to be quick when you see one.
On the other hand, many buyers still think their well-worn vehicle is like new, and have an inflated idea of its true value.
You then have to work hard to convince them it's not worth what they're asking.
If it's been for sale for more than 2 mths, and it's in satisfactory condition, it's generally overpriced.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 628874

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Saturday, Nov 30, 2019 at 13:29

Saturday, Nov 30, 2019 at 13:29
So after a week of some good information being put up - the OP has not been back to thank those who responded or to advise whether he is proceeding or not - still no advice on the type of vehicle to be inspected.

Oh well.
AnswerID: 628875

Sponsored Links