Bathurst Bay

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 10:47
ThreadID: 13940 Views:2195 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning everyone.........bit chilly this morning in northern NSW. First time on Forum so if things aren't right I'm sure I will learn very quickly how to use it.

We (2 ladies) heading to Bathurst Bay in August in 80 series Diesel, has anyone information on road condition from say Kalpowar through to Bathurst Bay, also have read there is fresh water available up there.

We did OTL,The Tip, Mutee Heads, Viryilla Point last year and had a great time, so thought we would have a further look around this year.

Thanks

Shaz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 10:52

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 10:52
I think it's chilly everywhere!

Chap wrote in other morning saying something about 11 degrees in Darwin.

Cold Sunday Mornings.......... gotta love em', lotsa coffee girls!

Cheers
AnswerID: 64048

Follow Up By: cazshaz - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 10:58

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 10:58
Thanks Lone Wolf

just about to make the coffee.........

Hope puppy dog is nice and clean and dry at the moment

Shaz
FollowupID: 325171

Reply By: Bros - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 13:25

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 13:25
G'day cazshaz,
Been to Bathurst Bay several times in the past 10 years and it is a magic place. With the drought the fresh water spring has dried up progressively over the years. Was still running last year in August. They have had a good year for rain this year and hopefully it is still running. We are going again this year in mid August. (8 blokes and 2 wives). Plenty of good beachfront camping as the north west facing beach is about 10Kms long. The road in can be a bit rough and sandy in places as well as the customary bulldust. Contact the Lakefield Rangers on (07) 4060 3271 and they might be able to help you with accessibility this year. (I've got to do this yet also). May see you there. (look for the EO stickers). Post on EO again, with questions, if you want any more information and i will see if i can help further.
Cheers
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 64059

Reply By: cazshaz - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:34

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:34
Thanks Bros,

we will be there towards end of 1st week of August. Plan to go up to Musgrave and across to Hann Crossing for a few days. From there is it best to go down to Kalpowar and up to Bathurst Bay? Our biggest thing will be watching our fuel consumption, although we plan on taking a jerry. Do you think there might be a few fish biting??? It does look like a beautiful place, we just had a look at a friends video of the area (taken a few years ago). Just cant wait to get out of this cold weather for a while...........

Appreciate your info

Shaz
AnswerID: 64180

Follow Up By: Meggs - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 15:42

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 15:42
FISH! I went with Bros last year with the promise that you would have to get behind a tree to put your bait on but like all fishy tales this wasn't true. We think it may have been due to the lack of wet season but his year should be different fingers crossed. You had better be prepared for some sand driving as there are some stretches of quite soft sand. These patches have the "chicken tracks" around the bad patches but with all bypass tracks staking tyres can be a problem. You can get to Barramundi creek no problems but there is a bad patch of sand just after the creek crossing and several more from 10 to 20 k from Bathurst Bay. If you camp at Kalpower crossing there is someone going through almost every day but if you wanted to wait until the middle of the month you can tag along with us. Email us for any further information zoeistheoneau at yahoo dot com dot au. Bros has arranged for the fish to be biting in the middle of August.
You won't find the cold a problem there but the wind is something to be experienced.
FollowupID: 325348

Follow Up By: Bros - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 23:21

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 23:21
Cazshaz,
You can drive across Lakefield National Park from Musgrave to Kalpowar. The road two years ago was very good but some of the creek crossings were rough but solid. The turn off to Bathurst Bay on the Kalpowar to Bathurst Heads road can be a bit hard to find if the sign has been vandalised. Last year it was laying on the ground. It is just after a log bridge and turn right. At Wakooka Outstation turn left and follow the main track. I have to own up to getting the tides wrong last year. (.4 m rise and fall) as Meggs has stated. Last year people were catching grunter off the beach at night down the western end.
Cheers
Bros.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 325417

Reply By: cazshaz - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:27

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:27
Bros,

gee thanks for giving us so much info...great help. Have you been To Captain Billys by any chance. We have. This is actually our fourth trip to the Cape, but first time out to Bathurst Bay. If so is Bathurst as windy as there? Meggs has said to watch out for the sand driving...........we have done heaps of that so know to let tyres down etc...should we be on lookout for deep water crossings. We may actually catch up there...our timings should be around 9th till 12th August....will have a cold beer or a chardy for you.

Thanks

Shaz
AnswerID: 64457

Follow Up By: Bros - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:30

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:30
Shaz,
No i have not been to Captain Billy's. Went to the tip 2 years ago and aside from Weipa and Seisia never saw anything else. Last year i wrecked my rear diff in one of the stretches of sand just past Barramundi Creek on the way in to Bathurst Bay. My own fault. Didn't let the tyres down and full body flex, so something had to give. The boys towed me up hills and through the remaining sand the rest of the way in and out. If you have ever tried to negotiate sand or steep hills with a fully laden Tojo on front wheel drive only you will know what it's like. Picked up a used LSD in Cooktown for $600.00. The depth of the water in Barramundi Creek this year i have yet to find out. Cooktown had 1300 mls of rain this season. We will not be there until 18th August. Enjoy the place, it's something special IMHO.
Cheers
Bros

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 325535

Sponsored Links