Jackaroo inherent warranty problems

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 11:19
ThreadID: 13941 Views:1876 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2001 Jackaroo 3 Ltr diesel auto wide track that is about to come out of warranty at 65000k. I am looking at GMH extended warranty - can anyone advise of any major problems they have had particularly with the motor.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Banjo - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 12:30

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 12:30
I'm up to 85k on my 99 manual 3.0 TD SE model.......service it myself - running a Unifilter (oiled foam) - changing oil and main filter at 5k - all good so far - runs as new, everyday. Only snag is that a dash trouble light is permamantly on (sensor in the throtle body) - caused by oil from the filter - leaving as is for now (see earlier posts from others). What does the ext warr cost ? (and most important of all, what are the exclusions and conditions !!)....I have in mind that a lot of these warranties have unlimited cover on things that will never happen or are very cheap to correct, AND very limited cover on expensive issues and things most likely to crop up.
AnswerID: 64054

Reply By: Carbon13 - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 23:09

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 23:09
The inlaws and a client of mine both have the Jackaroo SE TD - not sure if it's the same engine as yours though... Intrestingly they've both had MAJOR problems with the injectors - costing my client around $11,000 to fix. I'd definately get the extended warranty.
Also heard/read somewhere that Izuzu are pulling out of the 4wd engine market completly - which is likely to push spare part costs up. But this is often how rumours start!?!

--andrew :-)
AnswerID: 64149

Follow Up By: Savvas - Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 07:22

Monday, Jun 28, 2004 at 07:22
Andrew,

If your client and your inlaws have the 4JX1 3.0TDi, there was a recall on the injector issue.

If your client has already shelled out $11k, then I'd guess he'd be entitled to get it back.

Both the 4JX1 diesel and the 6VE1 engines are still being built.
FollowupID: 326398

Reply By: Sparkie - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 08:20

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 08:20
My jack has 239km on the clock and was made 1992. V6 petrol and still going strong.

Am I a candidate for extended warranty????? ;-)

Sparkie( IE not Y);-)
AnswerID: 64161

Reply By: Ian Moffat - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:33

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:33
To the Banjo, Andrew and Sparkie
Many thanks for your comments of inherent problems with Jackeroo TD's. I've experienced no mechanical problems with the two Jackeroo's I've owned 1 x 1997 3.1 ltr diesel manual, plus the curent 2001 3.00 ltr diesel auto which we now have. Both vehicles have done extreme outback runs in the Kimberley, Central Australia, outback NSW, Northen South Australia with no probems at all except for one staked tyre.

After considerable reseach I've taken out a four year transferable warranty for future peace of mind.

Once again thanks for your imput.
Ian Moffat
AnswerID: 64366

Follow Up By: Ian Moffat - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:37

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:37
To the Banjo, Andrew and Sparkie
Many thanks for your comments of inherent problems with Jackeroo TD's. I've experienced no mechanical problems with the two Jackeroo's I've owned 1 x 1997 3.1 ltr diesel manual, plus the curent 2001 3.00 ltr diesel auto which we now have. Both vehicles have done extreme outback runs in the Kimberley, Central Australia, outback NSW, Northen South Australia with no probems at all except for one staked tyre.

After considerable reseach I've taken out a four year transferable warranty for future peace of mind.

Once again thanks for your imput.
Ian Moffat
FollowupID: 325454

Reply By: Craigjackaroo - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 23:38

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2004 at 23:38
I have a 02/2000 model 3.0 TD
It has had a continuous stream of problems since I have had it.
It has been covered by warranty and even though the warranty has run out Holden have been sincere in trying to ensure it is fixed. Including recent work over twelve months out of warranty.
I would recommend taking out the extended warranty if you intend to keep it. At the time i was quoted $2400 for this which I could not afford - nor could I afford to replace it with another vehicle without going backwards in years (depreciation).
The exhorbitant price for filters and genuine servicing is something that needs to be considered when making this decision.
Motor problems have included
loose oil pick up for injector pump
replacement injector seats and harness
replacement throttle sender
replacement speed sender
Overheating problem - still undergoing evaluation
other minor problems - oil leaks loose connectors etc.

Regards craig
AnswerID: 65746

Sponsored Links