Access along the Mount Davies Rd

Hi All
Planing a trip through the central part of Australia next year and after some information on weather anyone has travelled the roads from Warburton in WA to Blackstone and onto Surveyors General corner, than take the Mount Davis Road down to the Anne Beadell Highway and than to the Stuart Highway. Or do you have to take the Giles - Mulga Road from the Surveyors General corner via Amana to Mimilli and than onto the Stuart Highway. Any information would be most thankful.

Regards RayJ

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Dec 15, 2019 at 11:47

Sunday, Dec 15, 2019 at 11:47
Mt Davies road no longer exists. There is nothing of southern end left and you cant get permits to even try.
Access from Surveyors General to Stuart Highway is also very difficult to impossible to get a permit for
AnswerID: 629093

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Sunday, Dec 15, 2019 at 19:48

Sunday, Dec 15, 2019 at 19:48
Hi Ivan,
Thanks very much for the info, the brother and I will find another way east from Express Springs without travelling on roads already done.

Regards Ray

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 903796

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Dec 15, 2019 at 21:28

Sunday, Dec 15, 2019 at 21:28
You could go back to Warburton and head down Connie Sue. Either all the way to the coast or Anne Beadell and continue from there.
You could head back to Warburton and do the Gunbarrel or a multitude of others. Sandy Blight, Carnegie, Eagle or even have a crack at the lower section of the Canning Stock Route
FollowupID: 903798

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Monday, Dec 16, 2019 at 01:35

Monday, Dec 16, 2019 at 01:35
Hi Ivan,

We’re going to head up the Connie Sue from Cocklebiddy Roadhouse. Are people able to access the Giles - Mulga park road to see Surveyors General corner or is that out as well. Have done the Heather, Gunbarrel and the Canning Stock Route the other year and it was really good after the rain had been through about a mount or so before. Wanted to get to do the Painted Desert and do the Oodnadatta and Strzelecki Tracks on the way home.

Thanks Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 903803

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Dec 16, 2019 at 06:50

Monday, Dec 16, 2019 at 06:50
Hi Ray,

We visited Surveyor Generals Corner back in 2018 travelling from Warburton to Blackstone & on to The Corner via the western end of the Giles/Mulga Park Road, which is actually part of The Gunbarrel HighwayYou will need permits, but they are easy to obtain on line. Also, did you know that there are two corner posts at this point? It is a “dog leg” corner. Once you get to the first post, the second one is further along the track about 150 meters or so around a bend.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 903805

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Monday, Dec 16, 2019 at 06:59

Monday, Dec 16, 2019 at 06:59
Hi Macca,

Thanks for the info, thought there might be another way to see the Corner. No I didn’t know there were two corner post to view, and thanks again for the tips.

Regards Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 903807

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Dec 15, 2019 at 17:06

Sunday, Dec 15, 2019 at 17:06
Ray, you will need permits for the Blackstone Road. Not easy to get but not impossible. You'll be required to show cause as to why you need to use that particular road instead of the Great central and accessing Surveyour Generals Corner via the northern section of the Mt Davies Road.

Mount Davies Road south down to the Anne Beadell is another matter entirely. They will not issue permits for the road and you'd be hard pressed to attempt it anyway. It is not maintained and unlike many other Beadell roads, it has seen no traffic and is largely overgrown and impossible to follow.

Permits for the APY lands on the SA side of the border are difficult to get particularly of you want to deviate from the main roads as you do. .

From the Anne Beadell, you'll find out pretty quickly how tough things are going to be. Extremely over grown and the dune crossings in particular are often totally overgrown.

I went overland from Maralinga to the Everard Ranges in 2016 (on a quad bike) and it is pretty unforgiving country. The country further west that the Mount Davies traverses is even tougher in my considered opinion and those that have attempted it.

Hope that assists.

Regards and safe travels.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 629095

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Sunday, Dec 15, 2019 at 19:51

Sunday, Dec 15, 2019 at 19:51
Hi Mick,

As I told Ivan, thanks for the info and will have to find a road not travelled from Express springs to head east and back home.

Kind regards Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 903797

Sponsored Links