Distributor

Submitted: Monday, Dec 23, 2019 at 13:59
ThreadID: 139446 Views:9021 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Afternoon

I have a question. I have an 80 Series Landcruiser 93 Petrol.
I’m chasing a Distributor for my truck.
Sourced 1 down Sydney.

My question is,
Diesel engines do not have distributors?
Is this true?
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Monday, Dec 23, 2019 at 14:10

Monday, Dec 23, 2019 at 14:10
Diesels do not have a distributor, spark plugs or ignition coils, they are only required for petrol engines.

Diesels directly inject the fuel into the engine where it is ignited by the hot compressed air in the cylinder or glow plug.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 629187

Reply By: Joe Fury - Monday, Dec 23, 2019 at 14:13

Monday, Dec 23, 2019 at 14:13
G'day Dana M2

Technically speaking, the Diesel engine in an 80 Series Cruiser, has a 'Fuel distribution pump' but not an electrical or electronic 'Spark' distributor.

It might be worth your time, to visit ~ Offroad80s.com or LCOOl.org

These two Australian based web sites are a wealth of good information regarding Toyota 80 Series and other 4wd vehicles.

If you wan't to brave a raft of American related 80 series stuff, have a look on YouTube, plenty of petrol Cruiser info there.

Safe travels : Joe. F.
AnswerID: 629188

Reply By: Dana M2 - Monday, Dec 23, 2019 at 14:45

Monday, Dec 23, 2019 at 14:45
Thanks all for your replies.

Would like to wish you all a Very Happy and Safe Christmas x
AnswerID: 629190

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Dec 23, 2019 at 16:28

Monday, Dec 23, 2019 at 16:28
Dana M2
Yes the petrol engine are the only ones which have a distributor for spark to sparkplugs.
Forget anything diesel related if yours is a petrol engine.
The system will be very similar to the same year model of Camry I suspect. Maybe wrong, but unless your mechanical items are faulty, most of the speed pickup coil and actual spark igniter coil may be the same. Of course it still rely on being fitted to your distributor which has 6 lobe inductor rotor, (1 for each cylinder) Therefore the Camry pickup coils should be able to be fitted to your distributor. I haven't looked at an 80 petrol for a while but I also expect it to use the same ignition coil igniter as the Camry. Someone with a sound mechanical/electrical experience may be able to source and transfer the required parts from one distributor into yours and solve the problems you have. The Parts involved, - There is sensor/pickup coils, usually two, then ignition igniter, ie, a 5 wire switching device,( to switch the spark coil on and off and control ignition timing, and then the actual spark producing coil. Not sure what your problem is in all that!
FollowupID: 903924

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2019 at 09:20

Tuesday, Dec 24, 2019 at 09:20
It is best not to use a 4 cyl igniter on a 6 cyl.
If there is no centrifical mechanism the advance curves were programed into the igniter on some systems so the advance will be applied earlier if used on a 6 cyl.
The Bosch hybrid system used this meathod which is why the after market one part fits all was short lived.
FollowupID: 903929

Reply By: Gbc.. - Monday, Dec 23, 2019 at 21:59

Monday, Dec 23, 2019 at 21:59
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=1fz-fe+distributor&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari

Plenty online if you are happy to buy there.
AnswerID: 629200

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, Dec 28, 2019 at 11:23

Saturday, Dec 28, 2019 at 11:23
Any reason you need the whole distributor did a mechanic advise you ? Not being rude but if your not very mechanically minded make sure of what your doing or it may cost more if you stuff something up. Not a part that often needs replacing but I suppose it is getting old.

Also the dizzy cap needs to be in good nick it can cause issues, points(if it's not electronic), leads as well. I would personally not get a 2nd hand one only new if it needs replacing then get it tuned by someone that knows their stuff..
AnswerID: 629235

Follow Up By: Dana M2 - Saturday, Dec 28, 2019 at 13:12

Saturday, Dec 28, 2019 at 13:12
Hi
And yes I am not mechanically minded.
Had a mechanic check it over and was told to replace the Distributor as it wouldn’t start.
Will get him to check the cap, points and leads also.

Thanks Batt
FollowupID: 903989

Sponsored Links