Batwing awnings

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 16:38
ThreadID: 139466 Views:8606 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Im looking at awning options and like the practicality of a "batwing" awning. I have an Iveco daily mid length that has barn doors at the rear and a passenger side sliding door. Ive had a look and read on different forums and I like the look of the Supa Peg ones and that they are Australian made. I would like to hear from people who may have this brand or could recommend one. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave B18 - Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 17:54

Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 17:54
Never owned one, from observations not impressed.
Seen 2 damaged imagine beyond repair from wind - sudden gusts.
My honest opinion think people are generally too lazy today and want instant everything without any work.
Made more useful awning out of 90% shade cloth and sail track using the proper sail track tape. Made in two pieces that hook together and will go on either side of the vehicle. Also have L shaped wall that clips on when windy. 5 mins to erect with couple of poles and ropes. At the back have made it so it is virtually bug proof. Great thing you can sew 90% shade cloth on ordinary sewing machine using polyester thread.
AnswerID: 629252

Reply By: Rod W6 - Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 21:52

Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 21:52
I know its not the brand you have indicated but I have an Ostrich Wing awning (made in South Africa). Its structure is like mini trusses which is what attracted me to it and I think it is one of the strongest. The only issue I have is when it rains the unsupported roof panels will pond water which is the same for any canvas structure. The supplier covers their bum buy saying its for "shade" not wet weather. I can live with that.

I've had it for about 8 years and its installed on the left hand side of the Troopy so it tends to be forgotten about and takes a bit of punishment when traversing overgrown tracks.
AnswerID: 629253

Follow Up By: Trevor G5 - Monday, Dec 30, 2019 at 06:41

Monday, Dec 30, 2019 at 06:41
I had a look at these and they look well made. I like the material used as it doesn’t seem flimsy. Thanks for the information.
FollowupID: 904017

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Dec 30, 2019 at 19:48

Monday, Dec 30, 2019 at 19:48
Hi Trevor

I have had 2 camper trailers with Supapeg awnings fitted to either side. I'm extremely happy with their performance.

Pros

Australian made - great service, spare parts and backup
Well constructed (particularly the hinges and joints)
Good quality Australian Canvas.
Well sewn canvas parts (both stitching and the way it fits together - nice tight canvas no flapping/sagging)
Aluminium twist poles hold tight (I can tighten with single hand while holding rafters up)
Spare parts available through camping stores or online
Mine comes with a wall kit and more than tripled the usable space of my camper.
Installation of bowed rafters eliminates any water pooling in the rain.

Cons

Cost - slightly more expensive than imports (out weighed by material/construction quality and service/parts and backup availability)
Storage bag is a little tight - overcome by practicing packing / unpacking and rolling up tightly)

Cheers

Anthony

AnswerID: 629259

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2019 at 09:55

Tuesday, Dec 31, 2019 at 09:55
AS we sleep in our patrol which has barn doors I wanted one that would keep rain out and provide shade.

I got smaller size Foxwing and it works but there are issues with it. It does however allow us to
go from barn doors and hop into car without getting wet.

First it required a lot of work to make it keep rain off the gap between it and the car.

It has separate poles , if I got another it would have built in poles.

Its not strong enough to be used without poles in anything but very light wind.

The cover is PVC which has shrunk making it to hard to close up and zip cover shut.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 629266

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Saturday, Jan 04, 2020 at 10:54

Saturday, Jan 04, 2020 at 10:54
I have the Darche 180. Probably overpriced, had it for a couple of years and used in sometimes horrendous conditions. Performed brilliantly. Very solid (and heavy!) construction and well designed. With the optional walls it provides a huge, private covered area.

I have spoken to a few people with the Supa Peg awnings (270degree) and they have been very happy with their units. Had a look at one at Innamincka and it looked pretty well made, much lighter looking than my Darche.

Cheers,
mark
AnswerID: 629327

Sponsored Links