What did Emu look like ,Anne Beadell highway

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 01, 2020 at 21:49
ThreadID: 139488 Views:10805 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Happy new year to all of you, our thoughts are with those poor buggers over east with the fires, tragic! I’m wondering if anyone has any diagrams, photos etc of Emu on the Anne Beadell? We were there in 2013 and was hard to picture what the buildings were, will be back there this year. Maybe a website had quick look but no success, archives?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jan 02, 2020 at 12:38

Thursday, Jan 02, 2020 at 12:38
Documentation about Emu Field is very sparse and difficult to find. There was more secrecy imposed over Emu than Maralinga or any other aspect of the British atomic trials.
I can find only one scant image of the layout of the Emu operation. It is attached below.
I would be very pleased if others could supply additional images.

The actual Emu camp had only several buildings and even those were of basic construction. They included a mess building, generator shed and radio hut. The accomodation was entirely of canvas tents.
Very little remains today. The location of the constructed buildings can be identified by the remaining concrete slabs. Tent areas are discernible by the cleared areas but with no concrete. A few artefacts are lying around but not much remains.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 629298

Follow Up By: Member - Lyncol - Thursday, Jan 02, 2020 at 15:35

Thursday, Jan 02, 2020 at 15:35
Thanks guys for the info. We have found this on the internet. It shows Emu Village in 1953 which is also in Len Beadell's book Blast the Bush. (which has only just arrived)

https://-www.goodall.com.au/photographs/emu-mustangs/emumustangs.html

Wikipedia has a lot of info about Maralinga & Emu also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nuclear_tests_at_Maralinga#Maralinga_site
https://web.archive.org/web/20090105213805/http://www.atomicforum.org/uk/totem.html

If anyone else has anymore info it would be much appreciated

FollowupID: 904079

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jan 02, 2020 at 16:54

Thursday, Jan 02, 2020 at 16:54
Lyncol, you can see in that photo the few structures and the many tents.

By the way, your link to the Goodall photos has a glitch in the form of a superfluous hypen.
A corrected link is here.
When posting links it is best to use the function below this window marked "LINK" which inserts into the posting as I have done above.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 904083

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jan 02, 2020 at 17:42

Thursday, Jan 02, 2020 at 17:42
Here is another photo of Emu showing the remaining concrete slab of a structure. [Credit: Ian Bayly]
I have no idea what it served.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 904085

Reply By: qldcamper - Thursday, Jan 02, 2020 at 13:19

Thursday, Jan 02, 2020 at 13:19
If your serious about finding out, contact Robyn, might be Robin, who now runs Maralinga tours. He is an absolute wealth of information on the area having spent most of his life in there.
AnswerID: 629300

Follow Up By: Member - Triton man - Monday, Jan 27, 2020 at 17:32

Monday, Jan 27, 2020 at 17:32
YES, it is Robin, Robin Matthews at Maralinga Tours. Robin is better than Wikipedia at the history of this area. He has been in the Maralinga area since the early seventies and is a wealth of knowledge. See website for Maralinga Tours contact.
FollowupID: 904822

Reply By: Idler Chris - Friday, Jan 03, 2020 at 18:15

Friday, Jan 03, 2020 at 18:15
Leon Ashton has lived and worked in the area all his life. He has an incredible knowledge of the area and for anyone who wants to know more he could be a very handy contact. I have his contact number but I do not have his permission to publish it. If you want to know more send me a PM and we can see what can be arranged.
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 629321

Follow Up By: Member - Lyncol - Friday, Jan 03, 2020 at 21:37

Friday, Jan 03, 2020 at 21:37
Thanks all I’ll be in contact with Maralinga tours and message you Idler Chris. It will be great to get some sort of a feel as to what it was like when first built!
FollowupID: 904128

Sponsored Links