Travelling the Gibb River road

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1396 Views:2362 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We're looking at travelling from Kununurra to Derby via the Gibb River Road in Mid July. Has anybody out there been on the road recently that could give us a report. We are travelling in a Land Rover Tdi towing an off road trailer. We recently crossed the Tanami so we are used to rough terrain, but we would like to check on conditions before we decide to travel the Gibb river route.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Allyn - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00
Mark
I completed the Gibb River track last week (also towing an off road trailer) and can tell you it's a walk in the park. The section from Pentecost River (which unfortunately was only about 300 mm depth) past Jack's Waterhole to Kalumburu turn-off is as rough as it gets and while it's not that pleasant should pose no real problems. Mitchell Plateau road was ordinary (but beautiful) however graders have since completed that road. I personally had no tyre problems but it does happen and if you're prepared for that then you've little to worry about.
My e-mail is allyn@wn.com.au if you would like more comprehensive info but i can tell you there's nothing to be concerned about. I did note on our return though that traffic was ever increasing and this may make corrugations worse but I'm sure the graders will be out before school holidays anyway.
AnswerID: 4579

Reply By: Member - Allyn - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00
Mark
Here is an update from Westprint's web site that I received via e-mail today. I've just noticed that it was dated 7th June whereas we returned 26th June so I guess my comments still stand as latest
regards
Allyn

The following is a message we received on 7th June which could be helpful for anyone heading to the Kimberley in the next couple of months.

Have just come back from 5 weeks away & 3 weeks in the Kimberleys'.

The Kalumburu-Gibb River Road has been graded from the intersection of the Gibb River Rd up to the Carson River. From there, the last 20 kms need care.
The road to from Gibb River Rd to Windjana Gorge & Tunnel Ck is good, as is the western section of the Gibb River Rd. The eastern end of the Gibb River Rd (from the Durack River) is also OK.
AnswerID: 4587

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00
Guys - don't forget that I spend hours compiling the road conditions report that answers this for you. It has just been updated again today. I also updated it from Birsdville during our trip away so that it was never more than 2 weeks old. I am on the pulse with road conditions - no need to look any further I assure you. Also, check out the trek notes. We've done the GRR a few times now and at this time of year the worst you will get is corrugations and traffic.
AnswerID: 4616

Reply By: Michelle Skilleter - Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00
Mark: To answer your question with a question of my own: what type of of road trialer do you have - we are planning a 2 month trip into the Kimberleys next year travelling to Halls Creek from Alice via the Tanami and were thinking of buying a 4 x 4 road trailer. Cheers Michelle
AnswerID: 4676

Follow Up By: Member - Mark - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
Michelle we purchased a Walkabout off road camper from a place in Cranbourne in Victoria. The have a website inder westernportcanvas.com.au I think. Regards mark
FollowupID: 2069

Reply By: Blackie - Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00
I bet the Wilsons are having a great time.
Did you get that reclining chair?
AnswerID: 4812

Follow Up By: Member - Mark - Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 15, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the greetings Blackie, Didn't actually get round to purchasing that recliner I just fall off my chair and recline on the ground. Hope the weather is good where you are its sensational here. Regards Mark
FollowupID: 2070

Sponsored Links