Lilliput 7" Touch Screen

Submitted: Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:09
ThreadID: 13970 Views:1909 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
There has been a bit of talk of late about the Lilliput 7" Touch screens. I am currently looking to purchase one, but just want to hear the experiences of those who have installed them (ie Pros/Cons, tips/tricks).

Also, is anyone aware of an Australian distributor for the product? This is not a major issue, as the e-bay seller seems to have a decent enough reputation and there are very few complaints about the product/seller.

Also, if anyone has any pictures of their installation and can email me a copy of them, could they send them to hall_sa_99@hotmail.com or send me a URL where I can go to view them online.

cheers,
Sam.

PS. I have trawled the archives, but haven't been able to locate specific enough info to help with my decision making.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:13

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:13
Peter from York 4wdclub has an excellent setup in his GU, if I had the $$$ I'd copy him in a flash! LOL
I'm sure he'll read your post and give you more info.
AnswerID: 64178

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:22

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:22
Thanks Jeff!

I did notice that Peter had a unit installed, so I am eagerly awaiting his reply.

cheers,
Sam.
FollowupID: 325316

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 16:17

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 16:17
Jeff re your new photo and tag ,how many jeery cans did you add before you got the smurf up on the wave LOL
FollowupID: 325352

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 16:29

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 16:29
LOL. I'm suprised it's taken this long for someone to bring it up, I thought it would stir people up a little more than it has :-(

To answer your question, I'm fairly sure it's the lack of Jerries and a long range tank that allowed me to get the ol' girl onto the surf board in the first place. (much lighter than a GU).
Having a real (toyota) low range was a big help throughout the excersise too. LMAO.
FollowupID: 325355

Reply By: Gerry - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:43

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:43
Hi Sam

Mine's not the touchscreen but I do have a 7" Lilliput screen, purchased through ebay, mounted on my dash and plugged into my gps/laptop. It works very well and I am happy with it, but it is very directional. In other words, you need to tilt it directly towards you to see it properly which means the passenger will not get a good image without leaning across. The other thing I notice is that the picture is a tad dull until you start the car and push to around 14+ volts. However, having said all that, I am still very happy with my setup, especially after having seen the same screen for sale locally for $350 (I paid $130 + freight and received in 3 days from Hong Kong).
Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 64182

Follow Up By: Rosscoe - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 12:44

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 12:44
Hi Sam,

Sorry, but I'm like the "Cocky on the Arnotts Biscuit Tin" here. --- Just not in it!
Pls fill me in on what the 7" Lilliput screen is and how you interface it to a Notebook PC/GPS? Can it be used in conjunction with Oziexplorer?
Apologies for what may appear to be a dumb question.
FollowupID: 325324

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:33

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:33
Rosscoe,

As has been said by many others on this forum before, the only dumb question is the one that you don't ask.

As for the screen. Its a small 7" TFT LCD touch screen that you can hook up to your laptop via the VGA output port (for the touchscreen function you can also hook it up via USB/PS2/Serial). With the touchscreen facility enabled, you can move the cursor around the screen as you would a mouse cursor.

The whole plan is to secure my notebook out of harms way and leave it running with the lid shut, but have the video output to the 7" screen mounted somewhere in the front of the vehicle (yet to work that part out). This will let me see OziExplorer and my maps running, rather than having to stop and turn around to look at the notebook. It will also be healthier for the laptop screen. Although it will be a smaller screen than on my laptop, the resolution is high enough to allow for plenty of screen real estate.

There is also a couple of additional composite (RCA) video inputs that will let you hook up DVD players etc.

cheers,
Sam.

FollowupID: 325333

Follow Up By: Rosscoe - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:42

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:42
Thanks Sam,
This solution maybe an answer to a maiden's (or least a SWMBO's) prayer.
She's been complaing that she does not want to nurse the notebook as we drive along. I'll check out e-bay for a reasonable price.Thanks again for such a concise and understandable response.
FollowupID: 325335

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:55

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 13:55
Rosscoe,

check out

http://stores.ebay.com/Extreme-Audio-Electronics or http://www.lilliputweb.net/

cheers,
Sam.
FollowupID: 325338

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:43

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:43
If these things need to be plugged into a laptop anyway.., another option might be a tablet PC. These have a couple of advantages:

1. Still have touchscreen
2. Only two devices (gps and tablet), rather than gps, laptop, and separate screen
3. current screens are pretty good and can be viewed from an angle reasonably well - a mate of mine is mounting his in the middle of his patrol, and flat against the dash, both driver and passenger can see screen OK

Couple of disadvantages:

1. Additional cost - probably only a reasonable solution if you are in the market for a laptop anyway..

Without getting into tax too much (not my expertise), if you can salary sacrifice a laptop, if you get the receipt in your own name then you can also claim this on your personal tax.

That is, if you are paying 47 per cent, you pretax based on purchase - then on personal tax, claim 47 per cent (depreciated over 3 years), the the laptop has only cost 6% of face value - makes it pretty attractive.

This to me is double dipping - BUT - it's all above board - I've bought two laptops like this, and all my mates have too - you can do one of these a year (but not a desktop) - can also do phones and PDA's in the same way - might be of interest for those looking at some of the new PDA with GPS module.
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 325379

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 15:55

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 15:55
Hi Sam as has ben said I have a unit set up in my GU ,it is mounted off the overhead concel that I have installed a mate also has one mounted off the floor on a bracket he made . As for the screen I am really pleased with it and find it very clear to view as I have made a sun shield around it from plastic ,the touch screen is a bit fiddly to use so I now use a cordless mouse $59.00 which works spot on .Having the track loaded on Ozi before you leave on a trip is great as If you take a wrong turn you know within 100mts of travel , I use a Garmin GPS12 it is only a basic model but all I need as Ozi does everthing, the rastermaps are great for moving maps and the arrow is right on the track and acurate to 50mts .I got mine from ebay I see someone has supplied you with the site address , allow 1-2s weeks for delivery and don't expect fast answers to emais you send them , but the screen will arrive ,make sure you get the one with VGA conections .All in all I think it was well worth the set up costs and working out the best way to mount it all .
AnswerID: 64216

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 16:02

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 16:02
Thanks Peter,

So you dont think the touch screen component is worth the extra $$$? If its not, then I will settle for just a plain screen with VGA instead and use a mouse. Trying to keep cost to a minimum.

cheers,
Sam.
FollowupID: 325350

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 16:11

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 16:11
Sam the touch screen is to small to use efectivly go for the cordless mouse ,My mate who has the same as me is also going to get the mouse , its far easier ,you can run it on the dash mat or any flat surface
AnswerID: 64221

Reply By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 17:07

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 17:07
I,ll be Peters mate . Peter has his wired into the vehile,s 12v system , when i tryed to do this , it wou,nt work , don,t know why , thay are both GU patrol,s . After much cursing and swearing , i pluged the screen into the inverter and the laptop into the vehiles 12v plug and then it all worked fine .The war offic and i have just arived back from an 8760kl trip up north and we found that it all worked fine and made the trip more intersting when trying to find certain tracks or putting names to hills or ranges or creeks that you see along the way . As Peter said , mine,s mounted on a braket from the floor , with a RAM mount to give movabitly . In retrospect , i am now going to redo the mount and put the ram mount on top and make it solid from the floor . That way it won,t have as much movment . Apart from that , it was great . Cheers Errol
AnswerID: 64232

Follow Up By: Member - Paul T- Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 18:47

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 18:47
Errol

Are you able to post any pics on this site re your setup?

Also, another dumb question, can you explain what a ram mount is and where they are sold? (I am in NSW so just a general idea of the type of outlet which may sell them would be fine).

Cheers
and thanks.

Paul T
FollowupID: 325375

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:44

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:44
Paul,

RAM is just the brand. They manufacture different types of mounts for mobile phones, GPS's, PDA's etc. Check out http://www.gpsoz.com.au/ram.htm for a Sydney distributor or for the manufacturers site check out http://www.ram-mount.com

cheers,
Sam.
FollowupID: 325381

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 21:15

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 21:15
Guys,

I have got a ram mount strong enouth to carry my laptop and had brackets and an arm made so it can swivel to the passenger or the driver. Will try to get pics on the web in the next few days. Mind you my laptop is a lightweight one at 1.6kg not a 3kg widescreen cockpit cramming one. I love the good 12.1 inch screen.

Get them at a good yatching shop - chandler. Mine was $75 and would hold about 20kg it specified. The ball is about 1.5" diameter
FollowupID: 325393

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:10

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:10
For those interested in my screen it is ebay item number 3086982793 from electronicar , this is a Hong Kong company , as I said before this is the touch screen unit but I found that a cordless mouse is better so look at other models ,BUT MAKE SURE it has VGA conections as the other cheaper screens will not work off the laptop ,they are for extra DVD TV screens only
AnswerID: 64406

Reply By: chargin - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 18:17

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 18:17
Greg you said
"(I paid $130 + freight and received in 3 days from Hong Kong)"
where can I get a deal like this? best Ive seen so far was $368 although Im thinking of getting the 8" which is about $420 or so.
AnswerID: 67612

Sponsored Links