Connie Sue Highway

Submitted: Friday, Feb 28, 2020 at 16:59
ThreadID: 139735 Views:8069 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Could anyone please tell me the condition of this track. We are traveling down it in a couple of weeks. Have our permits in order. Ellie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Feb 28, 2020 at 19:57

Friday, Feb 28, 2020 at 19:57
We travelled up from Cocklebiddy, Ellie, as far as Parallel Road No.2, then west to the GCR, in 2018. North of Neales Junction, which I assume you're heading for, there's a bit of a mix of conditions. Good, brisk travelling(but watch out for T-boning camels!), some sandhills & a few spots where it's a bit "scratchy". There is also a few spots that are badly eroded, including one sandhill, where you will have to follow the detours.

There's good water at Copper Hill Bore, and it's worth going into Hann's Tabletop Hill & Point Lillian for a look.

We did over 10K Kms on that trip & CSH would have to be one of the best sections, followed by parts of the Sandy Blight Track.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 630254

Follow Up By: andy - Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 16:57

Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 16:57
Hi Bob

What are the conditions of the Parallel Road No.2 - corrugations and washouts?

Andreas
FollowupID: 905577

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 19:50

Sunday, Mar 01, 2020 at 19:50
Can’t remember an excess of corrugations, Andy, and there would have been a few washouts, but nothing to serious if you’re being careful. In fact, the road surface was fairly good, right through to the GCR.

The worst thing was the “scratchy” sections! They were even narrower than the ones on the Connie Sue, but my Landcruiser ute didn’t suffer any permanent scarring. Might be different if you are driving a Ram. :-)

It took us most of the afternoon to cross from Connie Sue, and camped in a large gravel pit, not far from the junction with the GCR. There’s some small caves to check out, just north of the track, not far after Bench Mark 478. Plenty of good camp sites along there too, don’t think the road is used much, but when we had the track blocked while we did some minor maintenance, another group came along & we had to make some room for them.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 905605

Follow Up By: andy - Monday, Mar 02, 2020 at 04:44

Monday, Mar 02, 2020 at 04:44
Thanks for Info. We will take the Parallel Road No. 2, before heading south on CSH.

Andreas

FollowupID: 905607

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Feb 28, 2020 at 19:59

Friday, Feb 28, 2020 at 19:59
Hi Ellie if you scroll down the main Forum page there is a post regarding Len's Roads and the condition of the CS was mentioned. Basically it is a corrugated track whether you are travelling north or south from Neale Junction and the closer you get to Rawlinna you will start to encounter limestone cap rock which will get more prevalent as you head further south to Cocklebiddy. Some pretty country whether it's north or south you travel.

If you do a YouTube search there is a mass of videos that will show you what to expect.

cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 630255

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 11:32

Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 11:32
Have a look at places 123121 and 123140 which will show how narrow the track is. Be prepared to get scratched. Plus the usual corrugations. A fabulous journey from Warburton to the ABH. Have you looked at the Trek about the CSH here on this website? Are you towing? If you want more than the twenty pix above then go into Places and start at Warburton and follow the track down south. Click on every place and check out even more info about the track. Could still be a bit hot there in March. Same logic applies to your ABH quest...... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 630263

Reply By: gke - Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 12:02

Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 12:02
Ellie don't miss the Neale Breakaways - in my opinion they deserve National Park protection.
Enjoy a great drive,
Graham.
AnswerID: 630264

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 13:30

Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 13:30
Point Lilian Aboriginal art site is a must see
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 630267

Sponsored Links