Ceduna - Port Headland - Ceduna

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 05, 2020 at 16:55
ThreadID: 139758 Views:9662 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Interested in doing this circuit in July / August. Interested in advice about route north of Kalgoolie to Port Headland via Newman and back south via the coast. (Travelling in Pajero with TVan)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Thursday, Mar 05, 2020 at 21:08

Thursday, Mar 05, 2020 at 21:08
Gidday, sounds like a trip I'd like.

Ceduna to Kal is pretty straightforward though there is a bit to see on the Eyre Highway if you have the time.

From Kal you can go all the way to Wiluna on the Goldfields Highway and then west to Meekatharra or northwest on the Neds Creek Road to just south of Kumarina.

Alternatively visit Lake Ballard west of Menzies and continue on to Sandstone and Mt Magnet and then go north to Newman.

From Newman go up to Nullagine and the head east on the Skull Springs Road to visit Running Waters andCarawine Gorge.

Then it's up to Marble Bar and from there you could run up to 80-mile beach via Shay Gap and the Boreline Road or head for Port Hedland.

Heading south you need need to fit in a side trip to Karijini if you didn't go there on the way north.

I'm not much of a coast person so I will leave Exmouth and Coral Bay to others but when you get to Carnarvon turn inland to the Kennedy Range and maybe even Mount Augustus.

From there you could head down through the Gascoyne-Murchison region and into the northern WA wheatbelt and back to Kal. Or go south where it will most likely be cold and wet.

There has been a heap of rain all through this region in the last few months and it should be a good year for wildflowers.

Enjoy the planning and the journey.

Cheers

AnswerID: 630332

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Mar 07, 2020 at 08:58

Saturday, Mar 07, 2020 at 08:58
If you wish to stick to bitumen roads then take this route. I believe the bitumen goes from Kalgoorlie to Wiluna but the road from there to Meekathara has gravel sections. All the other roads on your route are highway bitumen.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 630367

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Mar 07, 2020 at 10:02

Saturday, Mar 07, 2020 at 10:02
Peter, that link takes one from Ilford to Sandy Hollow, oops......
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 905708

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Mar 07, 2020 at 14:56

Saturday, Mar 07, 2020 at 14:56
Sorry, that was my previous reply on another forum. Looks like I did not copy this one properly - - Kalgoorlie - Boulder to Meekatharra
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 905715

Sponsored Links