Birdsville

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 16:24
ThreadID: 139832 Views:10273 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
A media release from the Diamantina Shire Council , I won't bore you with all the details , look it up yourselves , in a nutshell , if your on the way turn around or planning to visit Birdsville -Bedourie stay the Effing away until further notice , Neither town has the capability for YOU to sit out this pandemic in these places .....
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Teraa - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 19:58

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 19:58
Could you post the link I couldn’t find it
AnswerID: 630698

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 20:10

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 20:10
Here 'tis

http://www.diamantina.qld.gov.au/documents/800087/41831681/020 Media Release - Please don't visit.pdf

If that doesn't work, go to their "Public Notices", and click on the third one down.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 906195

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 20:21

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 20:21
Or just use this ...

PLEASE DON’T VISIT
Telephone: (07) 4746 1600 Facsimile: (07) 4746 1272
? www.diamantina.qld.gov.au
Yesterday, the Local Disaster Management Group has been activated and has ‘Stood up’ in response to COVID-19.
Council’s focus is on ensuring the health and safety of the shire residents during these difficult times.
To achieve this, Council is following the guidelines set out the Prime Minister and Queensland Government and has closed various council facilities, stopped non-essential staff travel outside the shire and rescheduled non-essential visits by contractors.
All tourists who are still planning a trip to Birdsville or Bedourie are strongly requested to cancel these plans for 2020. Please follow the direction of the Prime Minister to cancel all non-essential travel. The desert crossing west of Birdsville is closed indefinitely, the Birdsville Bakery is closed, you can’t have a beer at the front bar of the Birdsville Hotel and our small local events have been cancelled. We love you, but we will love you even more when you visit in 2021.
Birdsville or Bedourie is not the place for you to wait out COVID-19. We are essentially closed for business.
Our local health clinics are designed for our normal small local population. We don’t have the sophisticated health care system to cope with an outbreak of COVID-19 in our remote towns. Please stay home. If you are on your way, turn around and go home.
To support local business during these tough times, Council will close the Birdsville Lodge and Bedourie Caravan Park indefinitely. If tourists continue to ignore the rules around non-essential travel, Council may have no choice but to close the Birdsville Tourist Park and ban camping on the town common in the best interests of our residents.
Council will continue to monitor the advices from the Australian and Queensland government and consider their application and impacts to the Diamantina Shire.
We are putting the health of our community first this year, and we don’t apologise for that.
ENDS

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 630699

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 07:25

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 07:25
Yep, planned trip to the Simpson Desert in April/May - cancelled. Hopefully will be able to go later in the year.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 630706

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 17:47

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 17:47
Wow Macca I hope you are right and that you can as it will mean we are out of the woods before summer
But unfortunately I don't share that optimism..the maths and overseas history on timings say otherwise
CJ
FollowupID: 906219

Sponsored Links