Inverter, to mount or not to mount?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 16:35
ThreadID: 139837 Views:8152 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Well I have just returned home from WA earlier than planned being unsure if the airlines would continue to operate for the next week and although beating the midnight deadline set by the government have decided to self isolate, reasons being at the Perth domestic airport there has been no distancing rules abided by except the bars have been closed but lots of people close together in the terminal and aircraft and the chap sitting near me was eating soothers like peanuts all the way here. So lots of unplanned time to work on the CT.

My first question is how do people mount their inverters?
I have a Redarc 350 watt inverter that I intend to run an electric blanket with for a couple of hours before bed time to take off the shock of getting out of a nice hot shower and into a frozen bed on winter desert evenings, it runs fine with both sides on high and could run all night on the low settings if needed.

Dont really know how rough the ride is in the trailer when on corrugations but I imagine it would be fairly taxing on electronics with heavy components soldered to circuit boards if solid mounted.
I would be interested on hearing how others have mounted them and the orientation, or have you chosen the other option of stowing them till they are being used.

Other question is, being in isolation do you think it is a mistake doing this sort of work? I am not a clumsy worker and for the last decade had safety drummed into me whilst at work, and believe it or not this does sink in and makes you put a lot more thought on how you do things at home as well.
But given the circumstances even a slightly worse than average cut that might require a stitch or two could be putting others at risk.
Is it being selfish taking the risk?

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 17:17

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 17:17
On your last question first, I don't think it is unreasonable to continue DIY stuff if it's within your qualifications and capabilities and no stupid risks are being taken.

Mounting the inverter ...

Inverters have heavy components soldered to the circuit board. Those components may or may not be reinforced with some kind of glue or putty-like goop.

Some products, when the labels and case appear to be the right way up, have the components hanging down off the circuit board. If you can look in the vents, or partially open the case, look to see which side of the circuit board the heavy/large components are on and then, if the manual allows the orientation, mount it with those components "falling onto the board". Ie, not hanging off it.

Also, if there is no reinforcing goop and you're happy to accept the warranty implications, you could apply some neutral cure silicon or urethane sealer around the base of heavier components so the mechanical loads are not entirely taken by a couple of wires soldered onto the board.

I have done both the above with my inverter and solar regulator. They have done over 100,000km in my off road hybrid, maybe half of that on dirt and corries. All still working.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 630714

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 17:51

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 17:51
Thanks Frank, some good advice there. I would prefer to mount it somewhere permanently so that is isn't another thing that has to be set up on arrival. Maybe next winter we will get to use it.
FollowupID: 906220

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 18:17

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 18:17
I understood it was best to mount circuit boards on their edge so that they did not flex and crack the tracks, but I know nothing of this stuff.....
I would also mount the inverter on rubber isolators to remove some shock loadings.
That said, I have an SEA 1300W PSW inverter that is fixed mounted on its side (no idea which orientation the boards are) in the OKA and has survived 250,000km of some of the worst roads you can imagine without drama..... and counting....
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 906221

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 18:24

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 18:24
The inverter in my c/t, ePro 1600watt inverter/60 amp charger is mounted on its side and I and many others that have Aussie Swags have not had a lot of trouble with them. I suppose it really depends on the inverter brand and quality! As for DYI, stay safe and go for it
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 630715

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 21:16

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 21:16
If you’re concerned about an injury while in isolation, I’d suggest you get someone to buy you some “butterfly strips” from the chemist, to temporarily close bad cuts. Also heard Superglue is good too. A good pair of gloves will reduce a lot of injuries.

Some of those big Redarc BC-DC chargers must be mounted on their side, so same may apply to inverters?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 630717

Follow Up By: Gordon B5 - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 23:54

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 at 23:54
Ring Redarc, if they aren't closed they are extremely helpful over the phone. Calls go to their R & D people
He who hesitates is lost

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 906223

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:44

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:44
Just to add to Bob's post. A roll of electrical tape is really good even for bad cuts..
FollowupID: 906243

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 14:13

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 14:13
Yep, being an auto sparky i have used sugar, paper towel and insulation tape as a field dressing many times. Gets me back on the job quickly without getting blood everywhere. But it was a slightly more serious things I was concerned about.
FollowupID: 906251

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 14:27

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 14:27
Can understand your concern in this current pandemic, but unless you are actually Covid-19 positive, and likely to infect someone else, as you seek treatment for “something worse”, then I wouldn’t worry too much.

I spent over 45 years working on stations, & if I’d have worried about potential injuries, or worse, then I’d be still living in the parent’s house in the Blue Mountains.

Just do what you want to do, assess the risks & hazards, ‘n go for it. Maybe get a first aid kit for your shed?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 906253

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:06

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:06
QLD.
I wouldn't bother to fixed mount it. IF vibration and G forces were to be a problem, unless it is suitably mounted on decent shock/vibration pads then just fixing it somewhere will make it worse. A 350 W inverter doesn't have a very large inductor/s anyway, unlike some high output inverters. If it fits on/in some normal packaging, bubble wrap or similar foam sheet but still allow cooling then you shouldn't have a problem. It is handy to be able to have it portable for me. Mine is only 300 W. SW so a little smaller.
AnswerID: 630729

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 14:25

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 14:25
Being portable also has its advantages for times we might travel without the CT. If I go that way will put it in a kingchrome safe case. Find a suitable mounting possy in both the CT and ute and use stick on velcrow when set up.
FollowupID: 906252

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 15:09

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 15:09
G'day,
I have a 180w Pure sinewave inverter mounted vertically in the Slideon camper on the ute & had zero issues with it.
Like you I run the wifes electric blanket for 30 mins before bed in winter & also use it for charging camera batteries & Laptop.
It is hard wired in & fused. Also does not have any rubber mounts.
A mate mounted one under the bonnet for his CPAP but after 2 of them failed decided under the bonnet was a bad idea.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 630732

Sponsored Links