70 series hand brake (Dog Bones)

Submitted: Friday, Mar 27, 2020 at 07:59
ThreadID: 139849 Views:15407 Replies:4 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks

Normally pull these apart one at a time and put back together same day. It's been a few weeks and have both apart. Can anyone verify if the way I have them and the spring facing is correct. Manual is useless for this one.

Thanks

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Mar 27, 2020 at 09:44

Friday, Mar 27, 2020 at 09:44
Lyndon.
I presume it is the LHS shown. Very similar to 60 series but not quite the same setup so not entirely sure. However, you can't fit a seal to the hub with the seal track area pitted and rusty as it is. It would require linnishing with wet/dry paper to restore surface, smoothness, should've been done before brakes reassembled, or the fitting of a stainless steel Speedi Sleeve to make the seal actually seal and last and also seal as the maker intended. As it is the seal lip won't last any time at all. For me all the rust on axle has to be cleaned off too. It seems the vehicle has been underwater or very little grease in wheel hub. Some grease on the axle will prevent rust as is shown on the pic. In Toyota hubs you need at least a cup of grease or slightly more.
In the labyrinth seal furtherest inwards, at the bottom, there should be a drain port which allows any water which gets near the seal inner face to drain away. The port is quite small and is at bottom of inner well. Drains to other side of back plate, ie, centre of vehicle. If it is blocked, it is the reason water has been allowed to sit in there and corrode the seal area. That area should be covered with a film of grease so to preserve the axle from rust. The port area is about 2mm x 5 mm in size and is vertical and often fill with mud, so a wire probe should clear it.

When you do any work where you may forget the layout, take a picture of it as you disassemble with phone or digital camera. Also keeps a record of items and condition. Rego people have to photograph brake thickness for roadworthy proof to RTA. Dated and VIN too. I spent my early years reassembling large earthmoving vehicles, engines and gearboxes, drivelines etc which someone else had already pulled apart and just left the bits around. Nice job but it makes you investigate everything because you didn't see it dismantled.

The picture is labelled "handbrake", but is really the rear brakes which just happen to be used as a handbrake as a secondary feature. Dog Bones? never heard brake shoes called dog bones but ok.
AnswerID: 630749

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Mar 27, 2020 at 20:16

Friday, Mar 27, 2020 at 20:16
RMD - Dog bones aren't the brake shoes ...they refer to this component, clearly visible in pics above

No idea what the "correct" term is...oh hang on "Hand Brake Struts"

(PS - this is a separate device to the rear brakes (probably disc brakes on this car), my Prado has handbrake in similar configuration)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 906303

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 08:43

Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 08:43
Hi Mate

Thanks for the advise. I will run some very fine wet and dry around where the seal lip mates. Think you have misunderstood me re the dog bones. They are in the picture also. This model Cruiser as many, run hand brake shoes inside the disk housing. My other two Cruisers (75's) not 78's had the same set up and the hand brake always worked well. This has been crap since new.
I have replaced the dog bones with slightly longer ones, this is meant to help with performance.
I'll find out later this weekend and post the results.

Cheers
Lyndon

FollowupID: 906317

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 08:54

Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 08:54
Greg
Thanks for that. I know it as a relay plate or rod. Never thought of it as a dog bone that is all.

The pictures are of a rear drum brake. If your Prado has 4 wheel disc brakes then it will be nothing like the above pictures and it's handbrake layout is also totally different. Does your Prado have rear discs???
FollowupID: 906319

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 09:19

Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 09:19
Toyota describe the part as a "strut" but everyone in the trade call it a 'dog bone', due to its obvious shape.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 906324

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 14:25

Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 14:25
Hello RMD - Yes the Prado (150, 2012) has rear disc brakes and has a similar hand brake set up as shown on the 70 series above. The hand brake shoes are inside the drum attached to the disc. The attached video of an earlier model prado shows what it looks like

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 906349

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Mar 27, 2020 at 20:42

Friday, Mar 27, 2020 at 20:42
Lyndon - You've installed them correctly for RHS, spring on the dogbone goes to the rear.

70 and 80 series are the same handbrake.

Cheers, Ron.

AnswerID: 630765

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 08:37

Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 08:37
Thanks, I thought I had

FollowupID: 906316

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 15:54

Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 15:54
Lyndon nt,

You should join the Landcruiser Owners On Line (LCOOL) forum. There are specific sections for every Landcruiser model. The forum is very helpful for these sort of issues. Of course like all forums, there are rules, and a lot of different opinions.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 630774

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Apr 10, 2020 at 11:36

Friday, Apr 10, 2020 at 11:36
I have just fitted replacement 'dogbones' to my Troopy and also fitted the cable ramp modification to the handbrake lever.
At last I have an operative handbrake. Eureka!

Did Toyota ever upgrade the 70 series handbrake?

I regard to Lyndon's question about dog bone positioning.... due to the differing slot width at the ends they will only properly seat one way, end-to-end. Note however that the 'spur' on the dog bone should be pointing out in order to correctly orient the offset of the end slots. I cannot see a spur in Lyndon's photo so the bone seems incorrectly positioned front-to-back. (assuming that his do have the spurs)
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 631004

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Friday, Apr 10, 2020 at 18:44

Friday, Apr 10, 2020 at 18:44
Hi Allan

Did my post motivate you? Did you get the lever from superior engineering?
Err, yeah, you just might be right on my dog bones.

THANKS!!! you made my day :-(

I'm getting pretty good at pulling it apart

Cheers

Lyndon

FollowupID: 906836

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Apr 10, 2020 at 22:20

Friday, Apr 10, 2020 at 22:20
Yes Lyndon, I had been considering 'dog bones' for a while but your post did motivate me to action.
And yes again, bought from Superior Engineering. I have them, and you, to thank for an operative handbrake.

The second wheel took a fraction of the time of the first wheel.
The worst part was manipulating the adjuster through the 'peephole'. I ended up making a tool to do it from an old screwdriver by grinding the tip into a shallow 'vee' so that it more easily located the 'sprocket wheel' of the adjuster and did not slip off sideways during manipulation. It was necessary to back the adjuster right off in order to be able to remove the drum/disc then of course wind it all the way back again to adjust the shoes. I could think of better ways to design an adjuster.

If you look carefully, the end of the dog bone with the narrower slot engages only with the shoe but the other wider end has to engage not only with the shoe but also with a lever close behind the shoe.
I also found that the flattened coil spring that goes on the bone was fouling on the sharp corners of the bone face which I thought may interfere with the smooth working of the spring. So, to provide clearance, I rounded-over the edges of the bone a little with a grinder.

So, there ya go, one experience and I claim expert knowledge! Which of course is how I succeeded in my career. The secret is telling it with an air of convincing confidence. LOL

So, once again Lyndon, thanks for your Thread. You made my brakes work.
And it helped to fill boring isolation days!

Incidentally, I didn't remove the hub so need to work behind the flange - a little more difficult.
And how come your brake assembly looks so clean?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 906855

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2020 at 10:25

Saturday, Apr 11, 2020 at 10:25
My Troopy handbrake is as ineffective as most and it seems that replacing the Dog Bones makes a big difference.

What are your thoughts on the kit to increase the cable pull?

Handbrake upgrade Kit
FollowupID: 906874

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2020 at 10:50

Saturday, Apr 11, 2020 at 10:50
Hi Banjo,
Having decided on the dog bones I then deliberated about the pull-lever upgrade kit and decided to go the whole hog. I installed them both at the same time so cannot evaluate each.
However, the pull-lever modification simply increases the radius of the cable ramp so pulls more cable with less lever movement. If the amount of cable pull was previously sufficient then I cannot see any benefit in this modification. At $120 and some fiddly installation it seems little if any value.
In fact, as the cable pull is increased, the force is decreased so it may actually be of negative value.
I would suggest fitting only the dog bones and see how it goes. If you do go ahead, please report your findings on here.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 906875

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2020 at 11:08

Saturday, Apr 11, 2020 at 11:08
Thanks Allan for your reply.

As you and Lyndon are both pleased with the Dog Bone upgrade I think I will just stick with that.
The price of the Lever kit is a bit high I think.

Another thought in my mind re the increase in the pull on the cable is that it could over stress something?

Regards Banjo
FollowupID: 906877

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Apr 11, 2020 at 15:32

Saturday, Apr 11, 2020 at 15:32
Hello

I purchase the replacement dogbones for the 150 Prado (2012) (prior to thread being posted) as the handbrake is at full stretch and close on useless (and a tad dangerous) - havent had them fitted yet - will let you know result when fitted.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 906884

Sponsored Links