Dumb Question #1346521498624

Submitted: Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 18:39
ThreadID: 13988 Views:1703 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can I go through one of those automatic carwash machines (like at Mobil or BP) in a diesel hilux that has a snorkel??? Is there a chance of water getting into the motor?

Michael
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 18:57

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 18:57
It seems like a dumb question, however I must admit the first time I went through the laser wash with the snorkel on I wondered half way through it it was really a smart idea. LOL
I don't know about those automatic ones with the big brushes as they may physically damage the snorkel, but I have been through the "touchless" ones with no problem, the snorkel apparently has been designed for heavy rain and that's really what the carwash is like.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone! (I'm really talking out my but on this one).
(what else is new you all say!) LOL
AnswerID: 64248

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 20:28

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 20:28
does the air filter housing have a one way drain hole (rubber gromet)
AnswerID: 64274

Reply By: Des Lexic - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 23:05

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 23:05
Probably a dumb answer but if you were worried about it, could you put a plastic bag over the snorkel remembering that somehow you have to get air into the engine to drive in and out again.
AnswerID: 64307

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 07:15

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 07:15
Not a good idea. I tried it once and the brushes tried to eat the top of the snorkel.

I had to replace the little grid thingy. Wouldn't expect water to be a prob though.
AnswerID: 64320

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 08:51

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 08:51
Most if not all modern 4bys have a water drain valve in the air cleaner and I doubt you would get as much in the car wash as you would with the engine gunning, in a heavy rain.
AnswerID: 64332

Reply By: jamcage - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 08:57

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 08:57
Hi Michael

I would worry about the canopy being damaged as well. In my mind it is better to give the car a hand wash and not have anything broken by the machine.

Jason
AnswerID: 64335

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:13

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:13
As I said before the touchless car washes are good in that you don't get any damage, but they are crap for getting dust and mud off, that's why I go during business hours, they normally have someone there who washes it with a spunge before you go into the machine.
The other thing I do (if its a weekend) is to give it a rough wash with the foam spunge, losen up all the crap, give it a good hosing underneath, then don't worry about getting it perfect or shammy or any of that crap, just hoon down to the touchless car wash and let it finsih the job off. Geez I'm slack! LOL
AnswerID: 64363

Reply By: floyd - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 20:49

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 20:49
All snorkle installations require the drain hole in the air box to be plugged so as the vehicle gets a perfect seal right up to the snorkle inlet. Imagine going through a deep river crossing slowly and getting water coming back in under pressure from a submerged air filter box. ARB always plug the drain hole for this reason. I would expect all other brands to do the same otherwise you will get water coming back in when in deep water.

I have wondered about driving in rain with a snorkle and once I got home after driving in heavy rain and opened up the air filter box. Alas dry air filter. Not sure how this is possible but it doesnt get in. My drain hole is plugged and I had no build up of water anywhere. I dont know the answer but I reckon that the car wash squirters must get some down the hole.

AnswerID: 64495

Sponsored Links