darling river run

Submitted: Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 21:29
ThreadID: 13992 Views:1569 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone done the Darling River run recently and are there any Stations to camp at along the way? We are heading off shortly and have a little 4 month old baby and I need to keep the Mrs happy and camp somewhere semi civilised! Does anyone know the best side of the River to travel on heading from Wilcanya to Burke and road conditions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 22:12

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 22:12
Hi Time Waster,
Trilby Station near Louth is great, this was discussed recently if you do a search on darling river run you may find other info.

I travelled on the East side from Bourke to Louth then crossed the river to Trilby in Louth and travelled from Trilby to Tilpa on the west side. both side s that i saw were in pretty good condition, but this was last July School Hols.....

AnswerID: 64295

Reply By: motherhen - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 23:23

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 23:23
Travelled the Bourke to Wilcania road, on the South side of the river (it looked on the map like a more direct road) a bit after Easter, towing the Bushtracker. It was a good dirt road, dusty (does it ever rain there?).
AnswerID: 64309

Reply By: duncs - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 01:03

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 01:03
Time

The Darling River Run rates as one of our best trips ever. NOt that I've had a bad one.

As mentioned above Trilby has a great reputation, Idid not stay there but it was recommended by a mate who lived in Bourke. The other place worth checking out is Kallara just north of Tilpa on the west side of the river.

If you want to try something a little less popular try calling in at the pubs, Tilpa and Shindy's Inn at Louth talk to the locals, tell them what you are after and see if they can help you out.

We travelled from Bourke to Louth on the east then crossed to the west to go from there to Wilcannia.

Take your time just sit around and watch the river go by. There is actually a little bit of water in it at the moment. Oh and when you get to Bourke make sure you call at the visitor info centre and book the town tour on the bus. Very interesting and informative. Especially what they tell you about the cotton and the fruit growing.

Jealous again
Duncs
AnswerID: 64313

Follow Up By: duncs - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 01:07

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 01:07
Forgot to mention try to be in Louth for sunset. There is a story and a light show you must see. Ask at the Pub for details and maybe even a guide.

And say G'day to Wally for me. I sat in his back yard repairing a brake calliper mount on a white GQ with red bull bar Easter 2001. He may not remember me but I sure remember him and thank him again for his help and hospitality.

Duncs
FollowupID: 325423

Sponsored Links