Lithium Upgrade Check

Morning

Our camper van is in getting a total refit and as we have been considering ditching gas it seem the right time to switch.

Have decided on a full Enerdrive set up...

200amp/hr lithium battery
DC-DC 40
2000w inverter RCD and remote on/off
Battery monitor (which one?)

We have 300w of solar on the roof and a 120w blanket on standby.

Load
60L evaKOOL fridge
Induction cook top
An LED light and a couple of USB outlets

Anything else I need to consider?

Do we need to protect the battery from discharging to 0% SoC

We are prepping for our two year gap year.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 07:57

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 07:57
Hi WAKO,

Firstly, let me state that I am not an Auto Electrician, or an expert in 12 volt electrical systems, so my comments are my opinion only. There are more qualified people on this forum than me, but you are likely to get differing opinions from different “experts”.

The more solar on the roof, the better. I know you said you also have a 120 W Solar Blanket as a back up, but if it was me, I would increase the solar on the roof by at least another 100 w if you have the realestate available on the roof. Remember, roof mounted solar panels tend to be not as efficient as a moveable panel, as they will rarely be at the optimum angle to the sun to generate their full potential wattage. IMHO, if you can double the solar wattage to the battery amperage the better your system will be. This is a very simple equation, and not based on anything scientific, as there are many variables to take into consideration, such as cable size, angle to the sun, battery charger amperage output etc.

What are you “powering” with the 2000 w inverter? Also, how long will this/these items be running? Anything consuming this much power will quickly deplete your battery, so your system must also be able to replenish this fairly quickly.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 631418

Follow Up By: WAKO - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 08:23

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 08:23
Thanks again Macca

Load is only the following

60L evaKOOL fridge
Induction cooktop
An LED light
A couple of USB.

I have run out of space on the roof of the car, the 300w already takes up most of my roof rack hence habing a blanket tucked away.

If I’m running low than there is the alternator sitting under the bonnet.

I’m currently have semi flex panels on the roof, mainly for weight saving, but I’m not sure these are the best solution going forward.

Cheers
FollowupID: 907484

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 16:12

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 16:12
Looking at your set up from your other post, have you thought of using the realestate on your bonnet to add extra solar? Might be worth considering.

Also, consider using heavy duty paper plates to avoid some washing up. You can burn paper plates. We use these extensively when we travel, saves water, and if not too “dirty” can be used more than once. Make sandwiches at lunch, use the same plates at tea time.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907526

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 16:50

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 16:50

Not too sure about solar panels on bonnet Macca.
May not be too good driving west in late arvo..... y'know, reflection and all?

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 907528

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 19:01

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 19:01
Possibly angle them up slightly to avoid the glare, and improve the angle to the sun. [:-)

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907535

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 17:15

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 17:15
a Prado 120 series had a solar panel attached to bonnet in SA and was pulled over by SAPOL given a defect notice -also had a gas bottle attached at rear door another canary

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-17/adelaide-driver-detected-with-illegal-modifcations-to-car/10002276
FollowupID: 907631

Reply By: Gronk - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 08:14

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 08:14
I'd agree with increasing solar if possible. 4 to 500W.
Load requirements are low.....except for the induction cook top. What current draw does it have and to use it instead of gas is not a normal way to go.
Are you getting it installed by some one ? If so, they should be able to tell you what undervoltage protection is built into the system.
AnswerID: 631420

Follow Up By: WAKO - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 08:35

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 08:35
Thanks Gronk

Only have the real estate of the roof rack....

I’ll investigate the max. Watts I can install onto the roof.

We have a number of reasons for switching away from gas

- Very limited space
- If we went back to conventional cylinders we’d probably carry 2 x 2kg and these would need to be on roof rack
- Off late we’ve been using the disposable canisters, lots of waste generated from packaging to the cylinder themself.
- set up/pack up every time
- re-fills

It seems the number of travelers seem to be managing induction cook tops.

By default of using the disposable canisters we have limited our need to heat things.

We wash dishes only once per day
Morning, generally Only need one cup of hot water
Lunch, no cooking generally, or 12v oven while driving
Dinner, if the 12v oven didn’t cook something during the afternoon drive than maybe 10min on the induction to cook a meal and boil 2L of water.

When available we use a fire, camp kitchen, public BBQ.

I will look into maximizing roof solar.
FollowupID: 907486

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 09:05

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 09:05
I upgraded to 2 x 120Ah lithium batteries last year, prior to a 9K km Canning trip in Aug. The weight saving is amazing!

I added a 2nd panel of 170w to give a total of 370w. This seemed to be adequate, running 2 fridges, 1 as a freezer, until we left Durba Springs. There was a problem that I've later read is the BMS in the batteries going to sleep, and a seperate source of 12v is needed to wake the BMS up. Valuable info, but only if you have data, not travelling north of Well 33!

Battery monitor needs to suit lithium, I believe, and one of Victron units, like a 712, might be what you'd need. One with Bluetooth too. Sprinters Solar have a vast selection of Victron gear as well as Enerdrive stuff. Look here.

A 250w blanket may be a better option too, for extra input.

Dispensing with gas totally may not be a wise move if you plan on doing extended travelling. Imagine you are camped, somewhere isolated, and rain sets in, delaying your escape to somewhere with sunshine or 240v power. You are going to rapidly run out of power to run the induction unit, so for 'X' number of days you'll be living on cold Cup-a-Soups 'n Devon sausage, unless you can get a fire going. At least factor in one of those butane cookers, so you can have a coffee 'n get the soup hot.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 631422

Follow Up By: WAKO - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 09:12

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 09:12
Thanks Bob

Re: gas, we will have a little hiking gas cylinders or two that’s always in our backpacks

Re: BMS, my installer mentioned this, we won’t be carrying a charger and I’m not sure if the alternator can wake the BMS. Installer says he install a cutout which activate when capacity reach 15%. I need to have get my head around this.
FollowupID: 907489

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 09:53

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 09:53
I'm having a senior moment this morning and doubt recall what these "sleep boosters" are called, but I googled them some time back & got a couple of hits. One was at Jamie's Touring Solutions, check here. He has 3 versions of the device, but couldn't find them on his site during a quick search a few minutes ago. I thought the ciggy lighter version would be the best for the remote travel I do. There was a 240v version too?

If you're running alt. power through a DC/DC charger, you won't get any charge into the batteries until the charger reads 12v in batteries. Hence need for this external "wake up" kit. Maybe a set of light jumper leads would suffice, off start battery, or donor vehicle?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907495

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 13:32

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 13:32
Wako,

I gather from elsewhere in this thread you're buying an Enerdrive 200Ah battery. If you're buying this one you don't need the wake-up kit. The battery has it built in with a reset button to activate it.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907519

Follow Up By: WAKO - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 14:20

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 14:20
Hi Frank

Thanks for pointing that out.....

I recon I read the page a number of time and didn’t twig.

Cheers
FollowupID: 907524

Reply By: Member - wicket - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 09:36

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 09:36
What is the max power draw of that enerdrive battery ? Are you sure it will handle an induction cooktop ?
AnswerID: 631423

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 10:45

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 10:45
Yes, that's a very good point. Not all lithium batteries can tolerate a high discharge current.

Some lithium batteries are made up of numerous small cells, all connected within a case and thus invisible. I believe that method of construction does not lend itself to high discharge currents, but am happy to take advice on the issue.

What is the power rating of your induction cooker? Say it is 1800 watts. With that sort of load placed on the battery via the inverter, the discharge current will be around 160 amps.

Some reputable high capacity lithium batteries (made with numerous small cells) have a stated max discharge current of only 70 amps. 160 amps would ruin that expensive battery in short order unless it has over-current protection (which it may do, in which case your cooker won't work).

Other batteries are made up of fewer, larger cells. That type WILL tolerate a high discharge current. I have the latter type. 360 amp-hours consisting of 8 x 180 amp-hour cells in a series/parallel arrangement. That battery happily and repeatedly delivers the 160 amps necessary to run the couple of 240V creature comforts we use. (Coffee machine, induction cooker)

If you haven't already committed to a purchase, I can recommend this business as a supplier of the kind of system you will need. Rod Dilkes is the proprietor and is exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful. (Usual disclaimer: No commercial interest, just an extremely satisfied customer.)

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907499

Follow Up By: WAKO - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 11:03

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 11:03
Specs for Enerdrive 200 Lithium is 200amls @ 25degrees for 30min.

Should easlily cover cooking a meal.

They also recommend the 2000w inverter is the max. For the battery.

Apart from boiling water I doubt we’ll be running at 1800w for the whole time cooking.
FollowupID: 907503

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 17:48

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 17:48
Frank how have you found this system from (company based in Margaret river WA) Ive been looking at them as well.

although I suspect just one 120ah battery be sufficient in their case, having a larger battery built up maybe overkill space wise but marginal weight compared to 2 x 130ah std batteries in parallel

Just need to convince old man its better option than the Ebay listings.

Cheers

Dean

FollowupID: 907634

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 18:16

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 18:16
Dean,

Many in our Kimberley Karavan owner's club (members all over Australia) have converted older vans equipped with AGM batteries to Lithium using EV-Power's products. Every single one of us cannot sing our praises loud enough. The product and the service are both without peer.

Some have had the conversion done over there, many have done it themselves. Electrically that is not hard and clear instructions are provided.

If you're using 2 x 130ah batteries, and if you're using the 50% rule of thumb for AGM batteries - that is using approx 130Ah - the equivalent required capacity to meet your needs in lithium batteries will be 160Ah. EV-Power sells one, here's a link.

To be honest, there may be more convenient options - batteries with inbuilt BMS's that are simple drop-in replacements - but you have to be careful what you buy. If there is not a built in BMS then you MUST buy an external one to suit the battery. Just as not all lead-acid are not the same, so it is with lithium.

I'm and advocate of buy right, buy once. I would go for Enerdrive in a self-contained battery and EV-Power for their built-up, extremely robust systems with the minor inconvenience of an external BMS.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907636

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 18:47

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 18:47
Frank, found out about it from another KK member (name alludes me but was based in Derby ) bit ironic he was at laverton couple years ago and got we talking about it. my radio comms experience solar batteries etc

Thus where the intel came from national meet and had a info session with said company owner.

Already have a redarc manager S2 fitted, seems they have a too high float charge voltage for Lithium in the earlier model/s but this been adjusted to suit. so swap out is preferred option.

Rather do it right than get unsuitable equipment.

Guess we currently have spare time on hands not to rush as well, can't even leave metro area in WA and despite a degrading to give bit of more normality any trip must still require authority to undertake it -wheatbelt is no more than 10 mins drive east of my place so limited where we can go same shire two town sites different zones !
FollowupID: 907639

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 10:52

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 10:52
"Do we need to protect the battery from discharging to 0% SoC"

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Over charge and over discharge both kill lithium batteries. To prevent both, you need a battery monitoring system (BMS).

Quality encased batteries come with a built-in BMS.

If you get a battery made up of large high capacity cells strapped together, as I alluded to in my follow-up to Wicket's post above, you will need an external BMS to suit the battery characteristics. The business I referred to in that follow-up will provide the BMS as part of the supplied kit.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 631430

Follow Up By: WAKO - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 11:11

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 11:11
Hi Frank

The Enerdrive has a built in BMS, I don’t believe I need an external BMS??

FollowupID: 907505

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 11:13

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 11:13
Correct. If there's one built in you don't need another.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907506

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 10:55

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 10:55
300W of solar would be the bare minimum if your going to be using the cook top often and not moving.

2000W inverter if around 80% effiecient is pushing the Enerdrive battery right to the limit.

The Enerdrive BMS has a low voltage cutout but a seperate low voltage cut set higher than the BMS would be a good idea.

Induction cookers are not manufactured to handle corrigations etc, if your installing a bench top unit then you should look at ruggedising the internals of the device. If portable should be ok if you pad it for travel.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 631431

Follow Up By: WAKO - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 11:09

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 11:09
Thanks HKB

I doubt we’ll be kicking back in the one spot for days on end, when we do hopefully there are other options.

With my current 110amp/hr AGM we are on float well before midday, sensible use of cook top I reckon it’s managable.

If we’re low on power than we’ll choose a different meal or start the engine.

Induction cook top is a portable version, it will be stored on a soft surface. The box says it’s designed for RV, BBQ and Rec use. Plus we are riding on air suspension....won’t feel the corrugations
FollowupID: 907504

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 11:59

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 11:59
Doesn't matter what sort of suspension, you will feel the corrigations.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 907510

Follow Up By: Apoptosis B - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 14:16

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 14:16
Using an induction cooktop for months. All good. Just packed it into cloth, etc. We're travelling by caravan and did some corrugated roads (how can you not in WA)...
FollowupID: 907680

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 15:07

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 15:07
I had one mounted in a bench, lasted for two years then went faulty, pulled it down and found the issue, simply not made to withstand constant vibration. I have ruggedized the replacement to avoid the issue occurring again. If it is a portable stored in some sort of soft padding probably won't be an issue.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 907682

Reply By: Member - wicket - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 12:26

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 12:26
I see outback marine is doing a deal on this battery with dc charger, seems enerdrive units have come down in price a bit. You don't really need a separate monitor as the bat has built in monitoring app to your tablet/phone.
https://www.outbackmarine.com.au/epower-b-tec-200ah-g2-with-40a-dc2dc
AnswerID: 631440

Follow Up By: WAKO - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 13:02

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 13:02
Yes the b-Tech can be view on phone but I’m always in trouble for being on the olohome too much.

Be handy to have a display in the kitchen.
FollowupID: 907515

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 13:49

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 13:49
"Be handy to have a display in the kitchen."

In that case you will need one suitable for lithium batteries.

Unlike lead-acid batteries where voltage is a rough indication of state of charge, voltage is not an indicator of SOC in lithium batteries because the discharge curve is so flat. Ie the battery remains at almost the same voltage from full to nearly empty.

Here's a typical discharge curve. It's for a single cell, so multiply the voltages on the vertical axis by 4:

In simple terms a monitor suitable for lithium batteries will count amp-hours in and amp-hours out and from that work out state of charge of your battery. Better lead-acid ones do the same, but not the cheapies.

Make sure you get one suitable for your 2000 watt inverter, ie capable of handling at least 200 amps.

EDIT:
Something like this should work. That's only an example after a quick search. Do your homework to ensure suitability.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907522

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 06:25

Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 06:25
By all means up grade to better battery/electric
But I fail to see the advantage of electric cook top ...watch this on YouTube a while ago ..like Pat & his bar & coffee machine.
All the stuffing around with solar, all the weight saved w lithium will mostly be taken up w solar panels & electrics . The only thing liter will be your bank account & you will have achieved what ??
IMO
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 631451

Follow Up By: WAKO - Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 07:57

Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 07:57
I guess each to there own I guess....

For us we think it a good fit given our overall set up.

I haven’t gained or saved weight but have extra battery capacity x 300%

No mucking around or extra solar than what I was carrying prior. I’m yet to drag out the blanket. The 300w of solar are permanently mounted.

Less set up time with induction and no longer have to battle with shielding the wind from the wind.

Chipping away at reducing waste is always a good thing.

Better temp control across the whole pot.

Time will tell I guess.....

FollowupID: 907544

Follow Up By: Travelling - Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 12:32

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 12:32
Most sensible post of the lot.
The amount of LPG used for cooking is a 4.5kg lasts ages. Top mine up once a year.Cook on LPG exclusively and have 14L Truma hot water system and never managed to empty the 4.5kg in 5 months travelling.
With all my extensive experience travelling and electrical background, going all electrical and the cost thereof obviously the OP has money he wants to throw away.
Have plenty of solar panel capacity and 300Ah lithium and wouldn't go to electrical based cooking. If my hot water system was capable of been used on 240V yes, I would have run that, however it is LPG only.
FollowupID: 907624

Follow Up By: WAKO - Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 20:11

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 20:11
Hi Traveller

I’m confused you say you only top up your 4.5kg once a year and to cook and heat water?? You might also want to read that I have limited space, i.e. just the car.

Waste money...am I reading you post correct that you have lithium batteries and plenty of solar?? So I guess you have wasted money as well.

Apart from upgrading to lithium the only additional cost has been a $140 cook top, but haven’t invested in a hot water system, 100amp/hr less lithium. I’m guessing I’m in front of you still.

Thanks for your input....we all travel differently, you have travelled extensively I have also, just tweaking the system.

Safe travels.

FollowupID: 907642

Follow Up By: terryt - Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 07:31

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 07:31
Travelling. If 4.5 kilo of gas lasts a year when used for cooking and hws you must be pretty dirty and eat a lot of cold food.
FollowupID: 907650

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 08:18

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 08:18
Wako it will be interesting to see the long jeopardy of your induction cooktop if you were travelling on rough tracks &roads unlike gas there's not too much to go wrong .. From what you were saying I think you don't have any hot water heating for showering etc ? Is that something you are not looking at investing in ?
The everdrive equipment doesn't come cheaply and I imagine you have spent serious money on a 200 ah lithium battery , 2000 w inverter , solar regulator & in your everdrive set up.. if you are buying quality equipment ?
When I mentioned stuffing around with solar I referred to having your solar panels charging up your batteries in all weather/ situations and we all know these pitfalls , would you be carrying a generator for backup .
I myself have gone in the opposite direction and have gone to just a small fridge 27 Litre and back to Esky and ice keeping my set up as simple as I possibly can.. have done a few trips now with this (Simpson Desert and Kimberly ) and haven't missed all the fancy stuff so far..
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 907651

Follow Up By: WAKO - Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 15:11

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 15:11
Hi Nick

Thanks for your reply....

Always happy to test new things out, funny enough our new induction cooktop a failed during testing at home, only lastest 4 cooks l, a fellow travel recommended it as hers has lasted 12 months full time on the road. grrrrr back to the aldi unit which hasn’t missed a beat.

Yeah big investment but we plan to be on the road for two years most likely three years.

Re: esky and ice, I ditched that in the late 90’s and no plan to return.
FollowupID: 907662

Reply By: Apoptosis B - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 12:40

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 12:40
Just like to add that this is an awesome thread!!

Getting rid of gas is our plan, too, having seen a van with full electric setup on the road and having talked to the legendary owner!

We are currently cooking with a portable induction cooktop since January this year in our caravan. It did survive well, just pack it nicely, when you're on the road.

We have all-electrical appliances (except oven) and can use gas as a fall-back.

Now I'm looking for trustworthy lithium batteries, solar panels or mats (as our caravan is very lightweight) and the rest of the electric setup (regulator, inverter).

Thanks for sharing your findings, please keep on sharing and don't get sidetracked by naysayers.

Your setup is going to rock!
AnswerID: 631555

Sponsored Links