Paint your sidewalls and get ready.

ABC News link.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 11:58

Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 11:58
Pity it is only the residents of the Qld outback zone that can take advantage of this.

Outback-Queensland
AnswerID: 631621

Follow Up By: Pepper - Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 12:54

Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 12:54
Has the local mayor changed his view ??
FollowupID: 907746

Reply By: malken - Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 20:19

Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 20:19
Unfortunately all we can do is get ready. I'm on the Sunshine Coast as well. All packed and ready to go but not allowed as yet. Looking like 10th July at the moment. Hope they bring it forward a bit.
I don't understand Peppers remark. What's the Mayor got to do with it.
AnswerID: 631646

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, May 18, 2020 at 07:25

Monday, May 18, 2020 at 07:25
https://inqld.com.au/statewide/2020/03/27/half-of-qld-is-virus-free-heres-how-theyre-keeping-it-that-way/

Local mayors closing up western towns .......... report

Virus-free communities are growing angry about closures caused by infections in the state's southeast
Councils representing 60 per cent of Queensland’s total area have united to close their doors and tell tourists they are not welcome and should go home.

The outback has no cases of the virus, so 21 local government areas are setting up signs in key locations over more than one million square kilometres asking visitors to come back next year.

The move has been prompted by concern for vulnerable Indigenous residents and fear that grey nomads see the bush as a safe and clean destination to wait out the pandemic. Councils are also concerned that, should there be an outbreak, there is insufficient medical cover to treat it.

The Diamantina Shire has 120 residents in its unofficial capital Birdsville, where the state borders have been closed to the west and south.

Before the closure, Mayor Geoff Morton said they moved on eight caravans of grey nomads who were waiting for more friends to arrive with the intention of setting up in the town for an indefinite period.

“We only have a very small clinic, one registered nurse and if things go pear-shaped, she’ll be overwhelmed and there will be no facilities left for the locals,” Morton said.

Protecting the community will come at a great cost.

The bar at the Birdsville Hotel has been closed, 13 staff have been let go and three remain to serve takeaways just as the tourist season is starting.

“It’s usually full bore ahead, people are starting to string in and they are going to do it very, very tough but that’s just one of those things our health is far more important,” he said.

‘Tourists we love you, but we’ll love you a lot more next year”, has become the Mayor’s mantra.

In the northwest, local government areas have joined the move
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 907808

Sponsored Links