feul needed on simpson trip

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:17
ThreadID: 14005 Views:1789 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I am heading up to the simpson and just wondering if any new of some good things to see while around that area.

cheers pat

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madcow - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:41

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:41
Dalhousie springs are terrific, Purnie bore is good ( not sure if it is still flowing).
Which way are you crossing?
AnswerID: 64369

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:49

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:49
G'day Pat,

a couple of posts to read are ones i have done in the last two weeks numbers 13936 and 13711. Take your time and look around a bit.

We used 125 litres of diesel in a heavy 4.2 litre TDI vehicle Birdsville to Oodnadatta. The sand is bound to losten up now though so prepare to use a little more fuel I guess.
AnswerID: 64372

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:50

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:50
Gday John, I just wanted to ask about the rig pic, what had happened and did the fix work?

I was asked to do a similar thing for some pig hunters in the Mansfield area when one of them had hit a fallen tree at speed, his mate hooked onto the front and me onto the rear of his car, and pulled till his radiator was back out of the fan.

But tha pic above looks a little trickier, or were you just making a wish and had no chicken bone?
FollowupID: 325487

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 19:23

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 19:23
Gajm,

In post 13711 I explain how we came across a Paj that had rolled 15 minutes before we got there just 10 kms south of Momba on the Strzelecki Track. We had seen it earlier and the previous day but this particular time it got to the wet patch before we did.

Had seen a thunder stom the night before at our North West. The road was slippery and the Paj got into a skid before a 170 degree turn and three rolls. Excellently done but no water on the bottom of the pool made it a bruiser. The rear tyres were both off their rims and had to be replaced and a tube inserted, the rear right shocker had broken its top end off dislocating a spring too.

Having got all that into place without the shocker he was able to drive to Moomba where they were able to fly out to continue the honeymoon another way. The car was trucked to Adelaide thence to Melbourne.

The axle needed to come away to one side back towards central but we decided it was easier to move the muffler in the end. We were using a snatech strap and a winch to start, thent tried to snatch before the muffler adjustment. Hope h i s wishbone works with the insurer.

FollowupID: 325507

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 13:38

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 13:38
Pat,

Have you looked at the treknotes on ExplorOz for the Simpson Desert have a look under Trip Planning - TrekNotes and select SA Deserts we have 4 written up for the Simpson which also highlights all points of interest.

In each of the treknotes you will also see our trekfuel system which will tell you how much fuel others have used whilst on the trek.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 64397

Reply By: duncs - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 16:31

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 16:31
Things to see in the Simpson.

Let me think.....

I've got it ......

The whole lot. It is beautiful. We crossed after just a little bit of rain and a little bit more while we were there and it was more like a garden than a desert. Be sure to sit quietly at night and just take in the peace and quiet. The loan gum, aprodinna knolls, pernie bore, Dalhousie, Big Red etc. etc. etc.

As for fuel? We filled up at Mt Dare and used a rather indirect route to cross the desert covering almost exactly 600km used 130l GU 4.2turbo towing camper trailer.

Jealous again
Duncs
AnswerID: 64430

Follow Up By: French Line Veteran - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:44

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:44
Thats interesting about the loan gum, Duncs. Won't be long and there'll be an eftpos there, I'll wager.

Kevin M

French Line Site
FollowupID: 325607

Reply By: ceredig - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 16:46

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 16:46
I did a bit of research about fuel needed for the simpson and the concensus is that you will use about 1.5 times your normal (around town) fuel consuption, plus extra for just-in-case.
AnswerID: 64434

Reply By: Richard - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:08

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:08
Try this link:-

[url]http://www.exploroz.com.au/TrekNotes/TrekFuel_All.asp[url]
AnswerID: 64528

Reply By: Karsten from Birdsville Studio - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 12:45

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 12:45
I'm sure you'll find all the information you need on this site. David & Michelle's trek notes are excellent. Don't forget if you're a member of Exploroz there are alot of deals you can take advantage of whilst travelling. Please drop in and see us for some Caravanserai Courtyard magic, and for every print you purchase from the Blue Poles Gallery you will receive a free slice of cake and a delicious coffee of your choice for FREE !!!!

For a taste of the Simpson check out our website BIRDSVILLE STUDIO

To see our range of PRINTS

See ya all when ya get here !

Karsten, Wolfgang, Jackie, Indigo and soon Kara
AnswerID: 64607

Sponsored Links