Lithium sulphur batteries

Submitted: Friday, May 22, 2020 at 16:48
ThreadID: 140050 Views:18667 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
A new type of battery is either being tested or is about to be in Australia.
Yet another shake up in the battery world.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Mark C9 - Friday, May 22, 2020 at 18:53

Friday, May 22, 2020 at 18:53
read this today
Lots of attention is being devoted to lithium-sulfur batteries, because they can provide an energy density three to five times higher than that of the lithium-ion batteries
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/lithium-sulfur-batteries
AnswerID: 631727

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2020 at 20:26

Friday, May 22, 2020 at 20:26
Yes, I had a look at that one, Mark, but my eyes glazed over :-( LOL

This one and this were a bit more on my level.

What I gained from those two was that there's huge potential in lithium-sulphur technology but the major drawback at this stage of development is a significant loss of capacity over relatively few cycles. eg 15% over 200 to 300 cycles. That's unfavourable compared to LFP that we use now in RVs, but is probably favourable compared to lead-acid.

On the other hand, with the greater energy density you may be able to tolerate the greater loss of capacity, depending on application. And cost would come into it as well. Sulphur is cheap, so theoretically lithium-sulphur batteries could be cheaper on a capacity basis than LFP and therefore a 300 cycle life may be acceptable.

Quite a few variables to consider.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 907930

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, May 22, 2020 at 21:58

Friday, May 22, 2020 at 21:58
There has been interest in the lithium-sulphur battery since before 1990. Progress has been made but this article describes why, without hurting your head, they are yet to become a commercial proposition.

A similar tale exists for the aluminium-air battery which journalists keep re-discovering!
I'll allow you to do your own searches on that one.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 631733

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 23:07

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 23:07
Samsung has just made a breakthrough in viable Solid State batteries, utilising Lithium, Silver and Carbon.

I reckon they are onto a winner - around 30% more energy density than current Li-ion batteries, and half the size for more power output!

Samsung Solid State battery breakthrough

Samsung creates new Solid State Battery

Cheers, Ron.

AnswerID: 631821

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 07:29

Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 07:29
Isnt it amazing that batteries didnt really change much in a hundred years until the governments started pushing for lower emissions then all of a sudden batteries are a quater the size and weight.
FollowupID: 908126

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 10:37

Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 10:37
No, there's nothing amazing about the power of the robber barons, the oil and gas industry, and huge manufacturing giants, to alter the direction of the Govts planning and decision-making of the world in the past.

But the worm has turned, and neither the auto manufacturers nor the oil and gas producers (particularly OPEC) have the power they once had.

In the early 1900's electric cars driven by lead-acid batteries were very popular and more reliable than the early IC engines.
But Henry Ford and John Rockefeller (amongst others) conspired to ensure electric cars did not receive the support or funding they could have used.
Instead, the support and funding was directed towards the IC engine car.

John D Rockefeller, owner of Standard Oil, was the main financier behind Henry Ford.
He wanted oil to be the dominant fuel of the world, and he went to great lengths to ensure that happened.

In the same vein, General Motors bought up all the tramways companies in America and made sure all electric trams were removed, and replaced by IC engine powered GM buses.

I'm glad I live in the era where Big Oil has lost a large part of its hold over us. I'm glad I will have a better choice for transportation power in the future.
FollowupID: 908137

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)