Having trouble loading offroad maps from micro sd on Garmin Nuvi

Submitted: Friday, May 29, 2020 at 22:48
ThreadID: 140083 Views:7325 Replies:12 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
So I bought some offroad maps from eBay and they just said you had to load them on the micro-sd card and load them. They are titled 'gmapsupp.img' and I loaded them to a 4 gb micro sd card and put it in the Garmin Nuvi, but the map does not appear as an option to load? Can't work it out and the Garmin software doesn't show anyway to load it?

Any ideas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gary T7 - Friday, May 29, 2020 at 23:48

Friday, May 29, 2020 at 23:48
On my old nuvi 760 you have to go to -Tools - settings- Map- and tick the map you want displayed and untick all the other ones then exit out to start. You can only display one map at a time. To return to street map do the same procedure .

Hope this is of assistance
AnswerID: 631853

Reply By: maurice b - Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 00:04

Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 00:04
@Eddy H . Providing the map is unlocked. For Garmin to read them from the SD Card . Create a Folder on your SD card and name it Garmin as you see it here. Then place the gmapsupp.img file inside the Garmin folder . Restart Nuvi then go settings/Map /Map Info (model dependant) and select which map you want to use . Be sure to untick the Native NT map or it with take first Priority if two boxes a ticked. When it boots up watch the bottom of screen ,it shows the names of the maps been loaded
AnswerID: 631854

Reply By: Rangiephil - Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 09:03

Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 09:03
Just be aware that if it is a 1490 then there is insufficient memory and it must run from the SD card.
AnswerID: 631856

Reply By: Eddy H - Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 10:30

Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 10:30
Thanks people. MauriceB, that nearly got me there. Loading the map into a Garmin folder lets the device recognise it but now it says the map is locked. Then the 2nd message is that the map is corrupt. I bought it from a map seller for $23 so I"m going to have to chase him up unless you guys have any further ideas. No map appears for me to select in the settings other than the original street map.
AnswerID: 631860

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 14:15

Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 14:15
did you unlock the SD card? there is a little button thingo on the side.
FollowupID: 908217

Reply By: maurice b - Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 13:51

Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 13:51
Most of those cheaper than retail digital maps on ebay for Garmin's are pirated copies on rubbish SD cards that produce errors . I'm guessing it's the TopoV5 or V6 lite. The issue is fixable ,unfortunately I cannot contact you.
AnswerID: 631865

Reply By: Member - 2208mate - Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 13:59

Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 13:59
The ebay cards are locked(copy protected), did you check if your device was listed?
If it's not showing up in your device that means a check on the add to see if you got one for your garmin. Either way it looks like you have to contact seller...
AnswerID: 631866

Reply By: Eddy H - Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 14:16

Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 14:16
Yes, Topo V5 I think. Full copy rather than lite version. I was just given the file, I've loaded it onto a 4G micro sd card I bought at Officeworks so the card shouldn't be the issue? My email is ehv8@tpg.com.au if you're able to help me as I went looking for the original seller and haven't found him yet.

When I ordered, I had to state what version Garmin I had as only some work. I bought a Garmin that matched the maps he had listed.
AnswerID: 631867

Follow Up By: Member - 2208mate - Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 14:23

Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 14:23
You must use 'as the original supplied card' Probably supplied on a 2G card but you put it on a 4G card( you defeated the anti copy?)
Seems like you have killed it if I read you correctly.. Operator error?
FollowupID: 908218

Reply By: DesF - Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 15:10

Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 15:10
Hi I bought a on line Garmin Topo V5 and it will not work on my Nuvi 2589 but works OK on my Nuvi 760, the topo V3 will work on the 2589 OK. a lot of the later Garmins lock out non genuine maps,
AnswerID: 631868

Reply By: Eddy H - Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 18:20

Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 18:20
Member - 2208mate . No, I didn't get it on a 2gb card, I was given a download link to a 3.5 gb file.
AnswerID: 631877

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Jun 01, 2020 at 09:50

Monday, Jun 01, 2020 at 09:50
eBay is the favourite haunt of pirate sellers, despite eBay trying to get rid of them.

They pop up, sell a pirate version of something - then, when it fails to work as advertised, you go to find the seller, and they've disappeared completely.

I bought a supposedly OEM copy of Windows 7 quite a number of years ago from an eBay seller.

It worked great for a couple of years - then I got an email from MS telling me my copy of Windows 7 was illegal - even though it was working just fine.

MS got very inquisitive and wanted all the details of the seller - name, address, eBay ID, the works.
I went looking for the seller on eBay, but he'd vanished off the platform.
Fortunately, I'd kept his details, because the seller was silly enough to give his correct personal name and address on the parcel.

I have little doubt MS chased him down and nailed him for pirating MS products.
Somewhat suprisingly, MS actually sent me a new, legal OEM copy of Windows 7 for free. I doubt whether that would happen today with the new, money-hungry MS.

Cheers, Ron.

AnswerID: 631903

Follow Up By: Member - 2208mate - Monday, Jun 01, 2020 at 11:28

Monday, Jun 01, 2020 at 11:28
Your right on all accounts, lots of good stuff also available and in my experience with paypal at least you are in with a chance of redeeming your hard earned, not so much when dealing with ebays convoluted 'case' sytem. IMO

Let the buyer beware..

Store fronts are also not fault free and dealing face to face with some one who's proven to be a shonk does not guarantee success.
FollowupID: 908275

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Monday, Jun 01, 2020 at 12:20

Monday, Jun 01, 2020 at 12:20
I have one of those cards and you just need to tell the Garmin unit where to load the maps from - is in the start settings process.

However - these top maps do not have more "road/track" information than the normal onroad version. Tracks that are not on the onroad version are not on the off road version.

The Topo version just has more "Topo" information not more detailed track information - even though I have the Topo version and it sits in the card slot, I just use the inbuilt road version as it is updated through Garmin Express so is always up to date where the knockoff Topo card cannot be updated - unless you buy a newer version - so is out of date.

So do not be confused in understanding the Garmin Topo will include those hidden tracks that are not in the Onroad version - it does not - but it will display more topo information that may or may not be usueful.
AnswerID: 631912

Reply By: Eddy H - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 23:18

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 23:18
Okay, the supplier has emailed me and is trying to sort out the problem (even though it is probably pirated as you say). What maps should I get, I generally trail ride / 4wd in the Canberra Brindabellas / NSW region but would like to visit the Victorian alps at some point and next year I'm heading to Alice Springs for the Finke desert race and we'll be doing a bit of sightseeing / 4wding / trail riding on the way home?

Is ExplorOz Traveller what I should get? I'd like decent track detail. Can I run it on my Android tablet and Android phone at the same time as I obviously don't want to fit a 10" tablet on the bike?

I can't see on the info page whether you can use it on more than one device at a time (even though I won't be driving the car at the same time as the bike obviously).
Ed
AnswerID: 631981

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2020 at 10:47

Thursday, Jun 04, 2020 at 10:47
Eddy,

All you questions about EO Traveller will be answered here.

The app requires the EO Topo map pack for off-line use. When you buy the app and the map pack, your licence allows you to load them both onto multiple devices of the same platform. eg, multiple Androids. If you want to mix it up between platforms, eg Apple, Android and Windows, you will need to buy the appropriate app for each platform. But the one map pack can be used on all platforms, so you only have to buy that once.

Any Android device is suitable as long as it is running Android 5 (Lollipop) and above.

My small screen device is a Samsung S7. Traveller runs beautifully on that and would be suitable for a bike-mount. My large screen device is a Samsung 9.7 inch tablet, which is even better.

Track detail:
Off line (ie out of phone service) is very good, especially for 4WD. Depending what you have in mind, it may not have the detail you want for biking.

You can get more detail with on-line access. On line you get Open Street Maps which show streets, tracks and paths in excellent detail.

You can use Traveller simultaneously on all your devices. Someone could be using it in your car, while you are using it on your bike. There is no limitation there.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 908392

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Thursday, Jun 04, 2020 at 12:02

Thursday, Jun 04, 2020 at 12:02
Eddy - as I mentioned in my post above road/track detail is the same as the normal onroad maps. I also travel the Brindabella tracks and other than Two Sticks Track, most of the other tracks are not on the offroad version - exactly the same as the onroad version.

If you want offroad tracks I would look for something else.
FollowupID: 908397

Follow Up By: Eddy H - Thursday, Jun 04, 2020 at 19:40

Thursday, Jun 04, 2020 at 19:40
We did get a little lost up there about 4 months ago, ending up on Two sticks road but not sure whether we should turn left or right to find our way down to Flee creek. We had enough phone service to use Google maps and it showed all the tracks in detail with the names. That's always an option as you can download the maps for use before you go when you don't have phone coverage.

Thanks Frank P, it's good to know I can use it on the trail bike and car on two different Android devices simultaneously. I looked at that link already but wasn't sure about the two devices.

Ozzieruiser, thanks for that info. Good to know before I spend money on something that does not do as it says by the sound of it. It's strange they say 'ExplorOz Traveller (with EOTopo maps) is the best GPS/Navigation and mapping app for Australian travellers. Designed for any type of traveller- urban commuters, caravan tourers, motorbike riders and 4WD explorers. Includes all 4WD tracks, POIs, Trek routes, campsites and EOTopo - the best topographic mapping for the whole of Australia.'

Why would they say 'all 4wd tracks'? We only ride on 4wd tracks so not sure why the tracks aren't on there if they claim they are?

If it's missing those tracks, I may as well just download google maps before I go.

What other maps are around for a decent price then? I'd like 1;25,000 or 1:10,000 detail like my old paper maps?
FollowupID: 908414

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Thursday, Jun 04, 2020 at 20:34

Thursday, Jun 04, 2020 at 20:34
"Why would they say 'all 4wd tracks'? We only ride on 4wd tracks so not sure why the tracks aren't on there if they claim they are?"

The Garmin onroad maps include all the main 4wd tracks and many of the minor ones as well. Just not as good as OziExplorer with a good map.
FollowupID: 908416

Sponsored Links