Aluminium Canopy Ventilation

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 08:17
ThreadID: 140099 Views:38111 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
I am setting up a new Aluminium Canopy with 3 gull wing doors on my single cab 79 Cruiser Ute.
The canopy is fitted with a roof top tent and a large solar panel which covers virtually all of the top of the canopy.
Inside I am running a 110 litre Bushman upright fridge, an Engel 80 Litre Fridge Freezer, DC to DC Charger and 2 x 100 amp Polymer Gel Batteries plus various drawers and the gear you take on extended trips.
I live in Townsville and most my trips are in the tropics and top end in relatively high temperatures.

I am looking for advise on ventilation into the canopy to ensure enough air flow for the fridges etc without an ingress of dust.
This is the reason for the aluminium canopy going away from a hard top roof with side curtains.
Suggestions of types of vents and their location would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 11:02

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 11:02
I have a muller vent attached to the top of my canopy and it seems to help minimise dust entry and also circulates air in there too.

https://www.indrub.com.au/white-pvc-muller-vent.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7ryRx_bh6QIV0KuWCh3Y2wwbEAQYBCABEgL9bvD_BwE

It is not too high and might work for you.

Duncan
AnswerID: 631942

Follow Up By: Slopokin - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 11:41

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 11:41
Thanks Duncan, I will check these out. Regards John
FollowupID: 908313

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 12:40

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 12:40
Duncan
Not sure what the front face of the canopy is like for clearance but a horizontal C shaped channel of aluminium can be pop rivetted to there with an entry ( like a spout POP) protruding into the C space. Then no water gets in but air will be forced in while moving. Filter it if you wish. Also the fitting of a computer fan at the exit to inside and having the air fed firstly to the condensers of both fridges. That will ventilate the fridges with coolest air and if fan is running most of the time, all the time in tropics, it will lessen the run time and power demand of both fridges because the condensers can get rid of the heat they pump out, instead of stewing in their own hot exit air and lengthening run times. The slight forced air flow will also ventilate the canopy and make it a bit cooler inside. I presume it is not totally airtight.
AnswerID: 631945

Follow Up By: Slopokin - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 15:14

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 15:14
RMD
Thank you for your advice, ducting the air directly to the intake on the fridges is a good idea and possible in my case. Regards John
FollowupID: 908320

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 15:59

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 15:59
Sorry slopokin, not sure how Duncan got there. I must stop reading comments.
FollowupID: 908323

Follow Up By: Gusthebus - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 16:09

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 16:09
Rmd, I'm also interested in this issue. Are you able to include a photo, line drawing of your concept as i cant quite get my head around it and am most intrigued with your solution.
FollowupID: 908324

Reply By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 13:53

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 13:53
Slopokin
In all my canopy's & campers, slide on, etc. I always fit a electric fan & marine solar vent to the head board end (less dust to pick up & a 12volt computer fan works well) so when the ignition comes on it starts this does 2 things it helps pressurise the canopy etc. so no dust comes in & helps cool/move air in the canopy (most canopy’s will leak air out/in somewhere) & all I use is the std Air conditioner gauze to filter the incoming air & I just wash it out from time to time, the solar vent is there working when parked also get some marine engine bay insulation (peel & stick) & put as much as possible to inside canopy & specially around fridge as to help with the radiant heat, my present slide-on has a Davis craig fan with Holden air filter, good luck what you decide
AnswerID: 631946

Follow Up By: Slopokin - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 15:12

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 15:12
Vince
Thank you for your comments and advise. They sound practical and along the lines of what I originally had intended. Regards John
FollowupID: 908319

Follow Up By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 08:04

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 08:04
Slopokin
just something extra to think about & nothing to do with ventilation etc. Is make sure that when doors of the canopy are open & its raining the water is not running back into the canopy from the door in the up position this is a problem with most, so think about this, there are several ways around this & maybe worth the question on how others have solved this as sooner or later you will be standing under the door trying to keep dry whilst getting some item out of the canopy & if it never rains on you on any of your trips can I come (lol)
FollowupID: 908347

Follow Up By: Slopokin - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 11:56

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 11:56
Hi Vince M
I have extendable awnings that covers the doors, so this helps and the doors have gutters all round. Not fool proof but works ok.
Lucky we don't have too much rain here in Townsville, hence the name Brownsville. Not the same if you go 50kms north or further up in the wet season.
FollowupID: 908354

Reply By: Gusthebus - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 16:24

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 16:24
Im also keen to listen,,ive an ex telstra canopy up in cairns. Have done 6 mths on the road along top end. Dust proof the priority. Google pressurising/cooling canopy explor oz ,cant copy link. The roof of yours with the tent provide significant protection rather than vents im considering going down the insulation road.
AnswerID: 631953

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 17:02

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 17:02
I ventilated my canopy for a different reason. We have a dog. I have an inside outside wireless temp monitor from Jaycar, a small sliding window with screen and a vent from whitworths marine fitted into the roof under the roof rack. I also fitted a computer fan to the vent for those times when we are stationary. No dust or rain ingress and inside outside temps are the same.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 631954

Reply By: Hoyks - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 18:26

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 18:26
Avoid a door on the rear. From my experience, any rear opening door will suck dust past the seals, or you get covered in dust accessing stuff through it.
AnswerID: 631956

Follow Up By: Slopokin - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 07:17

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 07:17
Thanks all for your info and comments.
We all have different reasons for air flow and mine is basically for the refrigeration and to keep a positive pressure inside.
Being in the marine industry all my life I seem to come up with marine related equipment and have come to the decision to test using a 12v Bilge Blow er for air supply (approx 7645 lpm) at 5amps with the inlet facing the inlets on the fridges and then 1 or 2 computer fans on the rear to provide air flow and maintain a positive pressure. This would only run when the vehicle is in operation as most other times the doors will be open.
My only concern is cutting holes and not having success. But you never know until you have a go.
Regards Slopokin
FollowupID: 908345

Reply By: Phil G - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 12:04

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 12:04
I had a fully sealed canopy on a 79series for 8 years. Ran 2 engels. Never let in dust and it didn't get hot. It was painted white and the aluminium transmits heat well.
AnswerID: 631960

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 17:10

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 17:10
I have a solar vent which has a fan extracting air on the roof towards the rear and on the front face of the canopy about half way down I have a vent which lets air in so I get flow so it would work better than something that just has an extraction vent by itself. I put a piece of sponge foam in the vent to catch dust which I wash out every now and then done it about 4 - 5yrs ago I think. I live in Mackay it all works fine the next best thing would be a 12v fan maybe on a timer.

Also insulation in the roof of the canopy makes a big difference I haven't done the sides or doors yet My canopy stays around a similar temp to the cabin of the vehicle when not driving I have checked it a few times with a digital temp gauge.
AnswerID: 631973

Follow Up By: Slopokin - Thursday, Jun 04, 2020 at 07:22

Thursday, Jun 04, 2020 at 07:22
Thanks Batt's
I am going to try a bilge blower at the front and a computer fan on the back. This should maintain a positive pressure, provide cooling air for the fridges and hopefully keep dust out. I have decided to run then off a feed from the vehicle which can be switched on or off when the vehicle is running and not drain the house batteries. Hopefully this will work ok. Regards Slopokin
FollowupID: 908379

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 02:07

Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 02:07
If your going to run a computer fan I can recommend Noctua fans large variety in sizes they are whisper quiet and come with what the call adaptors which change the fan speed the adaptors are just plug and play. I put a 92mm fan in my camping fridge and if I want just by swapping the adaptor lead it can run at 1,600rpm or 1,250rpm or 1,050rpm 6yr warranty and with a life of 150,000hrs plus, they're worth checking out if interested https://www.mwave.com.au/. It cost me $43 delivered and worth the extra money because I can sleep near the fridge in the canopy no worries.
FollowupID: 908434

Follow Up By: Slopokin - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 10:34

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 10:34
Thanks Batt's
I will have a good look at these units.
Regards Slopokin
FollowupID: 908492

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jun 08, 2020 at 14:37

Monday, Jun 08, 2020 at 14:37
I’ve got an alloy canopy on my s/cab 79 series, and added 2 of ARB plastic vents to the canopy, to get some airflow for the fridges. Also have a sliding window on the offside, for added ventilation when on sealed roads.

The ARB vents were about $70 a few years ago, and can be closed if necessary, say in torrential rain. I’ve not worried about any filtering system as yet, as I rarely drive in anyone’s dust, except for oncoming traffic. Regular checks inside the canopy show very little ingested dust, unless you’re high level OCD! Have seen vans with far worse dust problems.

One vent, per photo, is adjacent to both fridges, and has survived many kms in scrubby tracks without being ripped off the canopy door. The other vent I fitted to the front wall on the offside, and despite “measure twice-cut once”, I still managed to fit the vent where it is prevented from being opened fully. Plenty of marine type vents advertised here.

Just watch your weight with the canopy! Not hard for the kilos to add up quickly, especially if you don’t have a GVM upgrade. Did a 10K km trip into SA, WA & NT in ‘18, and with full fuel, water, tucker & my skinny arse in the seat, I was right on the GVM, 3900kg!

Good luck,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 632035

Follow Up By: Slopokin - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 10:44

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 10:44
Thanks for the advice Bob
The vents are a simple solution.
I do have a GVM upgrade. Did it when I fitted the 6 speed automatic conversion, but still watching the weight. It is very easy to go overboard.
I made this mistake when I did this to a GU coil cab Nissan and it cost me a fortune. Regards Slopokin
FollowupID: 908493

Follow Up By: Gramps - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 11:09

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 11:09
Geez Bob, you must carry a lot of 'heavy food'. I did a similar trip to yours in '19 and all up 3460kg on the weighbridge !

p.s. And I definitely don't have a skinny arse LOL

Regards
FollowupID: 908494

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 12:09

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 12:09

It's the feed for the horse that makes the difference Gramps. lol

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 908497

Sponsored Links