What price should I have to pay??????

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 16:11
ThreadID: 14016 Views:1486 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I've finally decided it might make life on the black top a bit less hit and miss if I spring the sheckles for a set of Castor Correction bushes for the 'trol.

Looking at the Rancho ad in the mag, I'm up for $140- for the 4 bushes.

Does anybody know if this price is a fair cop or is there somewhere else I could gettem cheaper.....??

Thanks in advance for all the responses....

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 16:51

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 16:51
Roachie, Your cheapest option in the long run is to TRADE THE POOTROL IN ON A NEARLY NEW YOTA. About $55,000 plus your trade on a $60,000 vehicle would cover it. Not sure what sea anchors fetch these days so I might be a bit high on the trade-in figure. LOL LOL LOL LOL
I'm sure Pesty will agree with my advice so you can't go wrong.
AnswerID: 64435

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:08

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:08
Struth......now I KNOW I've lost the plot.....I just posted a follow-up (well it was supposed to be a "follow-up" anyway) as a "RESPONSE". I'm not gunna type it all out again, so you'll have to go in and check it out for yourself....

Anyway, you didn't answer my bloody question.......LOLOLOL hahaha

FollowupID: 325495

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 19:55

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 19:55
Yes im finally here Mr Lexic and I wish you wouldnt over price the trol trade in value.
I will answer your question Roachie, read previous post by Mr Lexic LOL
Anyway where have ya been most of the w/end and yesterday hardly a word, so while the cheese and kisses is away the roach will play, and spend dollars on the trol, will you get it done in time before she gets back?????
FollowupID: 325510

Reply By: Member - Roachie- Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:05

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:05
C'mon mate,

Do I really look that demented and desparate?? On 2nd thoughts, don't answer that!!! LOL

I think I'm going through a change of life...... because:

1) I've already said earlier today that I'm warming to the idea of electronic whiz BANG engines might be the way to go in the future (Gaud, did I really say that?)

2) I have recently admitted to all and sundry on this forum that I acknowledge that toyotas are okay vehicles (but not as good as pootrols, right?)

I think I must have had too much of Annette's hooch when i was at Berri......OR maybe you came over to my camp during the night and played subliminal toyota tapes through the canvas next to my soundly-sleeping head .....what other reason could there be for this apparent early and sudden onset of dementure?

AnswerID: 64438

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:16

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:16
So the subliminal tapes worked then?
Are you planning on going to the Robe gathering in November? SWMBO response last night was, "I'll have to book a weeks holiday then" so I presume we're going.
FollowupID: 325496

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:19

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:19
I'm fighting ALL urges to change anything at present....my manhood is dependant upon me NOT spending any more money on the 'trol.

As for Robe...I'll have to wait and see how many pieces the 'trol is in once we get back from cape York in October!!! LOL

FollowupID: 325497

Follow Up By: Davoe - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:39

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:39
get used to the wizz bang engines I reckon as emission controls on diesals tighten it will leave no room for the ever reliable dinosaur donks I think Nissan is already pushing in that direction hence the pricing 3.0 vs 4.2 I wouldnt be surprised to see the 4.2 dropped in the next model. The 4.2 might linger longer in tojos due to their practicality in the huge mining vehicle market but I dont think an all new tojo wizz bang donk is far off
FollowupID: 325498

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:00

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:00
Davoe the Yota 4.2 has already been electronic-a-fied. The EFI 4.2 TD in the RV yotas.
But hey, more power, less fuel used, really there can't be that many bad points..... Just don't get em' wet. LOL

Man the Tojo took some WD-40 to get it going again after I took it off the surf board...
FollowupID: 325500

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:30

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:30
Roachie,
You must not go off your medication. And what are you a man or a mouse when it comes to spending money on the Patrol.
The answer to your post, $140 sounds alright for the bushes but if you want to fit them your self you will need a press to remove and replace the bushes.
SWMBO,(AKA Belinda) flies off to England Friday week and the feral one, (AKA Eliza) and myself head off on Saturday week to Broken Hill to start work again. Belinda gets home a few days before I do and I dont expect to be home before the 22nd of August. 4 weeks later on the 20th September the feral one and myself wii have to do another Simpson Desert run again. I know it is a tough job but some one has to do it.
Wayne
FollowupID: 325536

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:06

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:06
Wayne, old buddy, ol pal, ol mate......

Will you pleeeeeaaaasssseee STOP rubbing it in what a mongrel of a life you have.

LOLOLOLOL
FollowupID: 325557

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:23

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:23
You won't thank me for this response.

Personally I did not think that you could fit anything else to the Pootrol.

Maybe get rid of some of the gear and then your Castor problems may be over..hahaha. Whatever you do, do not take Des Lexiks advice. Purple Yotas are accident prone !!!!!

AnswerID: 64442

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:10

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:10
Willie,
There's no way I'd ever buy a purple (or any other colour) 100 series or any other bruiser for that matter.

I've just realised why Des has to have a tent on top of his roof. It's for all those occasions when he runs over a pebble and breaks a front diff or axle or something else simply falls off in the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason. It happens so often that he decided he needed to have a bed available so he could have a little lie-down and wait for the tow truck to arrive (usually a patrol tow truck)....

hahahaha
FollowupID: 325558

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 23:11

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 23:11
Roachie, just keep listening to the sunliminal tapes.
The purple yota made it to the Cape and back last year and no problems.
Must be when I pass Willies place he puts a hex on things.
I hope Jedda plays with the sock and you still have your foot in it.LOL
FollowupID: 325580

Reply By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:31

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:31
Roachie , first of all , before you run off to do anything , What lift do you have ? and what castor readings do you have now ? compare that with the original spec's from Nissan to figure out what correction you need to do . Let us know what you come up with before you buy anything . Most correction kits are made for one setting , if this over corrects your castor , you will have major issues. Most I found was that people tend to forget that toe- in adjustment will make the vehicle wonder all over the road more than camber . If you are close to 0 toe-in or anywere possitive , this will make the car wonder at hi speeds . I ran a 2" lift with no correction for a while and added a extra 1/2 degree negative tow- in , and the vehicle handles well . I now run 5" lift with a basic castor kit from ARB and I am still within tolorance. I sit on 100 kms hr and feel comfortable to overtake. Some vehicle like Nissans have more of a issue with Panard rods & soft shocks than castor . If your front end can bounce when going over pot holes this will send the front axle side to side due to the angle of the panard rod .

I hope this makes some sence to you .
AnswerID: 64458

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:03

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:03
G'day Eric,
Mate, I'm running Lovells springs and Koni shockers....the springs are 5" at rear and 4" at the front. However, due to the weight I carry (3050kg B4 I load it up for a trip) it only sits 3" (back and front) above a bog standard patrol.
The shockers have been on since new (now done 127,000klm) and do have oil residue with associated dust/grime all over them.
I know I can gettem re-built, but can't take em off to send em away....would be without truck for days/weeks. It's my daily driver, so if you reckon it's the shockers I'll have to decide whether to replace with another set of good quality or a cheap set like OMEs and then send the koni's away for re-build.
If I get a new, expensive set I'm leaning towards Tough Dog Ralphs with their 53mm bore.
I've been thru all this on the forum a few months ago and ended up doing nothing, especially when blokes who I have a lot of respect for said the konis were best and should be okay for 200/300,000klm.
It may well be a case of the shockers causing the wandering feel; it's not really that bad, but I know of other GUs with less lift than mine than
mine which have had their castor bushes changed (eg: Gerk's with it's 2" OME set-up).
I guess the castor bushes (either 2 or 3 degrees) is gunna be the cheaper of the 2 options. If that doesn't work, then it'll be new shockers.
I'm not sure how to measure what my current castor angle is or what it should be. Also, not sure about this toe-in aspect either.?

FollowupID: 325554

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:15

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:15
Are you running heavy duty springs ? if you have a winch , you should be . Al that weight on not HD springs make it to soft in the front . Start with a wheel alighment first and go drom there . In the past I have found that it dosnt mater what money you trow at shocks , they last approx the same kms , give or take 20,000 kms , at double the price it dosnst make sence to me
FollowupID: 325561

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:47

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:47
Yeah Roachie - what lift do you have? Guess it depends on whether you are wearing your TRUSS. LOL.
AnswerID: 64464

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:15

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:15
Ruth,
I always wear my truss out in public these days......one must keep up one's appearances after all. LOL
I like to imagine that my lift is quite respectable...........

Sort of reminds me of something else........

Who's the most popular bloke in a nudist colony?????
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
The bloke who can go to the cafeteria and come back carrying 2 cups of coffee and 6 donuts !!!!!!

FollowupID: 325562

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 07:57

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 07:57
Well,, here is my experience with a similar problem.....
I lifted my "Missing Control" 5-inches and put in 35mm spacers also without any other mods...(apart from Rancho shocks)....
The vehicle was very nervous to control in rough speedy conditions,,, such as potholes, trainlines,,etc....
I fitted 3-degree caster bushes and it didnt fully fix the problem but made it 70% better on the blacktop.....
I will fit extendable panhard rods next to put the diff back where it belongs....
AnswerID: 64562

Sponsored Links