Second battery position

Toyota hilux question ,were is the best place to put second battery in 2017 Lux.
Under bonnet or in back tub with canopy.
Peoples thoughts please would be nice .Thanks in advance,cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 27, 2020 at 19:58

Saturday, Jun 27, 2020 at 19:58
I think you can put a small one in the engine compartment - I did it for my Bill's Lux of about the same vintage. 75Ah flooded IIRC. You can fit larger, but it would be overly subject to heat due to lack of air circulation and the tray not strong enough for off highway use.

The tub is a better place for a larger battery.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 632301

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:06

Monday, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:06
Tray not strong enough ? It sits in the exact 'mirror image' just on the passenger side , even the mounting holes are there for an extra batt tray .....
FollowupID: 908924

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2020 at 09:11

Sunday, Jun 28, 2020 at 09:11
If you have a canopy, put it in the back. That is where you are most likely to position accessories such as fridge, etc.
I have mine in a battery box which has 12v outlet sockets in cigarette, merit and Anderson connector formats.
I also utilise a dc-dc charger to maintain the battery in the best possible condition and while this method is more expensive, it ensures the battery is fully charged. It provides electrical isolation from the starting battery which is essential. The charger also includes a solar panel input port so I can free camp, maintaining battery charge whilst running accessories.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 632305

Reply By: qldcamper - Sunday, Jun 28, 2020 at 11:25

Sunday, Jun 28, 2020 at 11:25
I have set up a couple of the earlier model hiluxes with an optima red top in an ARB accessory battery holder at the rear of the engine bay and rerouted the starter cables to it and extended the feed to the main fuse box. The optima is lighter than the recomended max weight of the battery tray and has plenty of CCA to do the job.

This leaves the original battery holder that is strong enough to support a 130 AH deep cycle of your choice.

In the 05-15 model the battery cables were the perfect length for this conversion and some of the original conduit mounts line up perfectly with bolts for securing, ends up looking like a factory install. I do not know how the cables in the later model would go, may need to be replaced.
You would also have to check if the later charging voltages will support an optima battery.
AnswerID: 632307

Reply By: Member - Lyncol - Sunday, Jun 28, 2020 at 11:36

Sunday, Jun 28, 2020 at 11:36
Over the years I’ve fitted many auxiliary battery systems under the bonnet of hilux’s and others utes, mainly because they didn’t have canopies (farmers utes with tray backs ). The hilux fits in the top passenger side and several companies make the holders, but it is a tight fit and not much room to work in for the wiring . I agree with sandman ,if you have a canopy put it in the there. I did one for a customer last week used a SSB70ZZD 105 ah 780 cca not a cheap battery but gives both cycling and cranking ability vehicle was an auto so if crank battery was flat he could use this to start. 50 amp Anderson plug to canopy, red arc bcdc1225 with solar control , 220w of solar on roof, 6b&s twin and I use 40 &50 amp circuit breakers as well as fuses recommended by red arc all works very well.
AnswerID: 632308

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2020 at 15:10

Sunday, Jun 28, 2020 at 15:10
Reggie,

By "second battery" I am assuming you refer to an auxiliary deep cycle battery of AGM type.
There is no way that I would position one of these under the bonnet.

After performing some temperature measurements there a while back it explained why my AGM's had a short life. So under the canopy would be my recommendation.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 632311

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Jun 28, 2020 at 22:29

Sunday, Jun 28, 2020 at 22:29
AGM and Lithium batteries and DC-DC chargers all prefer to in a cooler environment.
I no longer put second batteries under the bonnet. Use that little bit of spare space for a second fuel filter or maybe a tyre pump, or just leave it blank!
Also I hate seeing everything crowded in under the bonnet - must be a nightmare for mechanics.
AnswerID: 632314

Follow Up By: mike39 - Monday, Jun 29, 2020 at 09:18

Monday, Jun 29, 2020 at 09:18
The two main destroyers of lead acid batteries are heat and vibration.
Under the bonnet and over the front axle has to be the worst of both worlds, if possible I would not have any batteries at all under the bonnet.

For me, 4 years life from the L/C cab chassis battery (plenty of rough roads) is about the best I can achieve

My old series 3 Landy had its battery under the passenger seat, a much better proposition . L/R did have a few good ideas, but that old 2.25 diesel for sure was not one of them!
FollowupID: 908921

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:03

Monday, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:03
A 2017 lux actually has / had a dealer / factory option for a 2nd battery under bonnet , the 'recommended' battery was an Optima yellow top , no fancy DC-DC required , just a 'smart' solenoid .
AnswerID: 632316

Reply By: Member - David M (SA) - Monday, Jun 29, 2020 at 12:09

Monday, Jun 29, 2020 at 12:09
Drive a 100 Series so AGM,s under the bonnet has been the choice. Just accepted that it's 3 years worth each replacement. 15 years divided buy 3 =.
O what the hell. It's only money not an arm or a leg.
This time it was suggested I install 2 EXT-Hybrid.There a sealed wet cell recommended for under the bonnet with a 3 year guarantee so will be interesting to see how the go.
Dave.
AnswerID: 632317

Follow Up By: Member - Lyncol - Monday, Jun 29, 2020 at 23:18

Monday, Jun 29, 2020 at 23:18
Have a look at the SSB range of batteries I’ve used the HTV70ZZ D , which is an agm , a few times very impressed, another one is amaron silver seems to handle the heat a lot better but is only a start battery.
FollowupID: 908928

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2020 at 09:07

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2020 at 09:07
G'day Lyncol. SSB AGM was my 3rd set. Looked at my paper work before fitting these and the 3 years was within a couple of months for all makes. Might be lack of care on my part. :)
Nearly made it to WA again this year ( detecting ) but missed out by 2 weeks. Damn!
Dave.
FollowupID: 908929

Follow Up By: Member - Lyncol - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2020 at 21:27

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2020 at 21:27
Just put an amaron in the Prado and will try the SSB ( battery that is, not the wife’s wine) later in the year. I’ll head to sandstone mid July just for you,haha
Hope all the information has helped you REGGIE 2(VIC)
FollowupID: 908931

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jun 29, 2020 at 12:36

Monday, Jun 29, 2020 at 12:36
Even if the OEM provided a facility for an additional battery in the engine bay doe not mean that is an acceptable place for an AGM. A flooded cranker or hybrid maybe but not an AGM.
Why should an OEM care if you have to buy a new battery every few years?

In at least some cases the provision of mounting holes may be for engine-bay reconfiguration for steering gear when producing LHD models.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 632318

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jul 02, 2020 at 10:46

Thursday, Jul 02, 2020 at 10:46
Allan , 80 - 100 -200 series and the 70 series and the Hilux specificaly since the 2.8 donk , the FJ Cruiser the Prado ALL have and are capable of having a 2nd batt under the bonnet either on the left or right side without modification to STRENGTH of mounting position , really nothing to do with steerring LHD- RHD ...
FollowupID: 908938

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jul 02, 2020 at 11:59

Thursday, Jul 02, 2020 at 11:59
Alloy, what I wanted to convey is that simply finding convenient and vacant mounting holes should not be taken as an provision by the OEM to install a battery shelf and battery. These holes may be for various reasons and not necessarily for a second battery.
In the case of my Troopy as an example, if it were a LH drive model, the mount holes occupied by the fuel filters are duplicated on the lefthand side and have been adopted for the second battery tray. My workshop manual has an illustration, obviously for LHD, which shows the filters mounted there and the brake booster precluding space for a battery.
So OK, the second battery could go over on the RHS but the mounts used would have been for the filters, not a battery.

Just being "capable" should not be taken as a nominal provision by the OEM.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 908942

Reply By: Rocket Rod - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2020 at 15:35

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2020 at 15:35
Depending on how long you'll keep the car for, have you considered Lithium? If so, the the canopy is the only place for it with a decent brand DC-DC charger and thick cables.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 632324

Reply By: Alan H11 - Wednesday, Jul 01, 2020 at 01:53

Wednesday, Jul 01, 2020 at 01:53
You need to put it as close as possible to what it's powering.
AnswerID: 632326

Sponsored Links