Place Comment: Yowie Rocks

Hi there,
Yowie Rock is not at this location.
However, are the uploaded pictures of the real Yowie Rock or are they of the area around Maninga Soak, where the coordinates are nearby?
Yowie Rock is about 4 km further down the track.
Cheers
Alan.
PS - possibly nobody knows at the moment, however by linking this comment to the place it may get answered in the future.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jul 02, 2020 at 18:54

Thursday, Jul 02, 2020 at 18:54
Good pick up - there are various rocky outcrops here which are referred to collectively as Yowie Rocks rather than 1 single rock. This is noted in the Description of the Bulfinch to Goongarrie Station Trek by the author of that Trek Note who provided the data for this area. However, I will still move the marker to the largest of the rocks as noted by you it is a little further SW along the track.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 632353

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Jul 02, 2020 at 19:12

Thursday, Jul 02, 2020 at 19:12
There's a Gnamma on the rock somewhere.
I had a quick look, didn't find it. I'll look harder next time :-)

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908971

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jul 02, 2020 at 19:18

Thursday, Jul 02, 2020 at 19:18
Bit of a trip report here from another person too https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/helena-and-aurora-ranges-labour-day-long-weekend-wa.45389/ in fact the person Sharkcaver is one of our ExplorOz site users (I recognise his name from the recent calendar photo comp). In that link he references the northern track that meets up with the Evanston-Menzies rd as starting at Yowie Rock - which is where the current marker in our trek note is - perhaps he was using this trek who knows but seems like he is a bit of a regular there. I might actually leave duplicate markers on both spots for the time being. Get back to me if you get out there again and we can revisit this and do more research on the naming. I am trying to find out some info to add to the Place description about the reason behind the name/history etc. Unless you have some info already? I think we are headed that way soon anyway so will check it out.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908973

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Jul 02, 2020 at 19:29

Thursday, Jul 02, 2020 at 19:29
I know the Sharkcaver, I'll check out the link.

You might beat me there, I need to go a few other places first.
Here's an extract of an old map of area.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908974

Sponsored Links