4Wd license??????????????

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:10
ThreadID: 14027 Views:2134 Replies:13 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Have just watched in stunned disbelief, the show...Today Tonight.......and then had a good laugh.
Some yobbo who thinks he is god is trying to decree that all 4wd drivers should have a "special license" to drive a 4by.
shown were a few glimpses of a 4by in a crash test, a 4by doing a flying leap(looked to be in the USA), and finally three different people driving a 4by on a slalom course.( u know......in and out the witches hats..).
the learner is way out of her depth and hasn't a clue,,,,considering she is being taught to drive in a "little car".
the "p" plater,,,is just a bloke who thinks he is indestructable.
and the old bloke,,,,he's been around for awhile,,,and i fail to see how he could condone the article in the first place, especially as the slalom is set up at widths for a standard sedan,,,,,and not for a 4by.
who in their right mind would drive like they are in a slalom event on the road anyway???
and how you define a 4by,,,,anything with high range,,,,,,wait for all the ""toorak tourer" drivers to start screaming.....can't have that,,,the government would lose to much money.....hang on.....
how about anything with low range.....hmmmmm.could be onto something here.
get rid of all the bigugly "real 4by's" off the road,,,and just have the " soft roaders".
hmmmmmmm.. problem again,,,,some of those "soft roaders" are getting real big lately. darn,darn,,,,,darn,,,,
what to do???????????
i know,i know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,make em ALL have a "special " license.........more money for the government........yay,,,i like this idea....................................NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if this government want"s you and me and everyone else to have a "special "license,,,,then tell em to get ........................d
how about we have a "special license to drive a ute?????????? it is a commercial vehicle after all.
and one for any thing with a turbo?????? lots of power to handle there now...
and one for anything with a V8,,,,,,my o my,,,,,
and anything with a diesel motor....they are different to drive than a pertol motor..............
can't forget the big ole six cylinder either can we,,,,,some of them really boogie along.......ohhhhh,,,,,,,,,i'm drooling from all the revenue this will bring the government.......
and the motorbikes,,,,,ohhhhhhhhh,,,,don't get me started........oh ok then if you insist........
some of these machies are just racing bikes with number plates.........faster than anything else on the road,,,,,ohhhhh,,,all the different licenses we could make up with them.....yum,,,,yum,,,,all that money to good ole Howie and his cronies.....

the sale of 4by's has increrased dramatically over the last few years,,,it is reasonable to assume that more of them are going to get involved in "altercations" with other vehicles.
wether you own a " soft roader" or a "real 4wd. this is going to concern you,,,,,,do something about it.
we are a powerfull majority,,,,,lets put our vote to some good for us for a change.....

rick.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:15

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:15
What about a special license to drive red cars, everyone knows red cars are much faster. I'd love to know just how many of thes BS 4wd stories Today Tonight has on their shelves waiting for the slow nights. Hurt them the best way you can, and don't switch the rubbish on
AnswerID: 64507

Follow Up By: rickwagupatrol - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:23

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:23
was nibbling on nobbies nuts at the time..........:):)
remote was to far away,,,,then was mesmerized by the twits on the screen,,,,,,,,sorry,,,,,,had to watch,,,then left in disgust to come here and bask in the warmth of the " Great Sticker God"........

rick.
FollowupID: 325533

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:35

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:35
Take a few deep breaths and recite your sticker god chant and all will be well in the universe again.
I'd personaly welcome a 4wd license, then when SWMBO wanted to drive my car I could say "sorry hun, as much as I'd like to let you, you just don't have the right license". it's not that she's a bad driver, (shes even got a bus license), it's just that the gear changes and revs seem so much worse from the passenger side of the vehicle, and it is my baby after all
FollowupID: 325540

Follow Up By: rickwagupatrol - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:46

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:46
LOL
time for a prayer...............
oh great and mighty Sticker God
steer us through these dark and muddy days
with your lifted 4by, the muddies churning wildly,
clawing for some grip on reason
in these troubles waters.
oh Great Sticker God,show us the way,
with your spotties shinning brightly,
to the righteous path that is the
true off-road track we all seek.
let us follow in the ruts of those gone before us,
and pray we don't get hung up cuz the ruts are too deep.
and may we all bask in the glow of the eternal campfire,
sucking on beer, port, wine, or anything else to drink.
Amen.

FollowupID: 325545

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:50

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:50
LOL I want that engraved on a plaque on the car!
FollowupID: 325551

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:40

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:40
4wd license wont achieve anything but less 4wds on the market..

Why would they bring out say 5 models and 20,000 of each model if they are selling 10% of what they do now? they wont invest money in anything, R&D wont be worth the effort or anything.

it will succeed in what scruby wants.

PS is your missus has issues changing gear in a 4wd, I'd hate to see her drive a bus!
FollowupID: 325619

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:43

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:43
Maybe there should be a special licence for putting garbage on TV!!
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 64518

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:49

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:49
I have to agree with that!!
What a great place to carry the kids (pic 1), I thought about doing it myself but was worried about fuel consumption and the noise.
FollowupID: 325549

Follow Up By: rickwagupatrol - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:54

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:54
is it just me ....or are we getting a bit sarcastic about these sort of articles on t.v. ???
nah,,,,,,couldnt be could we.
after all we get Big Brother, and Survivor from the t.v.
hmmm,yup sarsastic...

rick.
p.s. kids on roofrack,,,,now why didn't i think of that,,,,,,,,,,,girls got a new seat in the patrol for youse to try........
FollowupID: 325552

Follow Up By: Michael - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 07:42

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 07:42
What about a license to put out the garbage....... I'll get my wife to go for that one........
FollowupID: 325602

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:54

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:54
HERE IS THE SHOW FROM TONIGHT 7.9meg
AnswerID: 64523

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 00:10

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 00:10
Thanks I missed the show.

Cheers
FollowupID: 325597

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 23:01

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 23:01
Thanx Bruce just looked thru the whinnying on Ian Luff. What a load of rubbish saying that theres 10 accidents, put the drivers in a commodore and drive thru and see the same result would eventuate. Anyone who drives at an unreasonable speed thru REAL traffic like the witches hats should be SHOT not LICENSED to do so.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 325775

Reply By: Member - Ray - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:58

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:58
I caught the end of a segment on 6pr this mornung and I am sure it was everybodys' mate that oxygen thief HAROLD SCRUBBY having his usual rant on the subject. That bastard should have a licence just to breathe.
AnswerID: 64525

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:39

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:39
Mate....
RAOFLMAO....
Yeh....and once he's got the bloody license to breathe, it should be revoked and a plastic bag secured neatly over his useless bloody cranium!
FollowupID: 325569

Follow Up By: Aston - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 00:07

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 00:07
Ray, you took the wind right out of my thoughts!!

I reckon you are very close to the truth that this is another attempt by
Mr Harold Screwball nee: I meant; scrubby.. what ever(full-a-sh*t)

He is a danger..... and seems to have the ear of anyone that has access to the media or political leaning.

The best way to deal with this type of ratbag is to at every opportunity is to discredit them on their own turf.

Just remember Luff is a term used in sailing maybe he's also full of wind.

Cheers Aston
FollowupID: 325595

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:07

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:07
Im with you all on the BS on radio and tv and the absurd CRAP they talk, but I think we will be forced into submission in time by insurance companies, so tighten your seat belts because I think the ride is going to get rough. ( probably all need to buy yotas to get through this one LOL) Great poem Rick, send a copy to SirbleepScrobby !
AnswerID: 64527

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:13

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:13
Don't get too cut up about a beatup story like this. A driver trainer with a vested interest is simply trying to get more business. I bet the people in the story wouldn't have driven any different in a standard Commodore or Falcon anyway.

Besides, when have you ever seen a story without bias from Today Tonight. They are just a light weight current affairs flop who never let the facts get in the way of a good story!

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 64531

Follow Up By: rickwagupatrol - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:24

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:24
hiya cappy......:)
i,m yet to see a story on this program that has more than a grain of truth, or is unbiased in some way.
the problem is that there are people out there who latch onto these types of stories and run with them, blowing the truth even further away.
i'm a truckie, on the road day in and ay out. some of the idiot things car drivers do just plain scare me.
but there are some who drive a 4by who think they own the road, and they are easy to spot as well.;
it is unfortunatelly up to the sane ( :):) ) responsible 4wd owner amongst us to ensure that our choice of vehicle is not compromised by a minority of do-gooders out to feather their own nest.
FollowupID: 325564

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:40

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:40
Yes but these beatup stories do influence people in the street. You already know about the situation in the USA with 4x4 dealerships being burnt and gangs roaming the streets defacing and burning millions of dollars worth of vehicles. These beatup stories only build up anger in the weak which eventually manifests with violence.
FollowupID: 325570

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:56

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:56
Yeah, but responding to these beatups only gives then some credability they do not deserve. If you respond, its almost like admitting they have a point. I reckon the best this to do is ignore them and let them die a natural death of apathy.

Maybe I am burying my head in the sand a bit, but i reckon even those not in favour of 4x4's can see thru this story.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 325574

Follow Up By: rickwagupatrol - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 23:00

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 23:00
we have a real problem looming for the 4wd industry as a whole.
the minority groups are influencing the majority of the population via these "beat-up" stories, and it wont be long before the government start to take notice.
we as a comunity need to address these problems and show that we are a responsible group of people interested in seeing our great land, as well as ensuring its survival through our actions.
2day-2nite, shows one "beat-up" storu, then someone else does, then someone else,,,and so on, then before we know it,,,we can't have bullbars on a 4wd anymore,,,,we cant go to that favourite spot we have been going to for years anymore,,,,,,,we need "special" licenses to drive a 4wd,,,,,heck,,,,,lets just ban them alltogether and get it over with.
i like my 4by,,,,i like going places out bush,,,,i like the fact that i can go "over there".
people with their own agenda want to take it away from us,,,and they are a minority group,,,,
we are a very big majority,,,,,yet we remain largely silent on many of the issues that directly affect out greatest past-time.......the ability to 4wding.

rick.
FollowupID: 325576

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:41

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:41
Captain.. the issue is that the majority of people out there believe the s h i t on these shows. honestly they do!

And if they keep on with their weekly bashing of 4wds, eventually the crap will stick.. Gov's will have to be seen to be doing what the loudest voice wants..

Anyway what does the pedistrian council have to do with passengers in cars? They arent pedistrians?
FollowupID: 325620

Reply By: Member - Landie - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 08:44

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 08:44
It is hard too imagine that this will get any legs, however we, as a group should never be complacent about the threats to our right to drive a 4by.

This campaign by some isn't well thought out, as they will be taking on the farming groups. the mining industry, and yes-the Toorak tourers', all of whom are voters.

Importantly, and this wasn't fleshed out in the prograam, is the fact that anyone with a normal license can drive up truck with a weight up to 5t. So that will need to be removed if they are serious about this issue given that most real 4bys are in the range 2.5 to 3.5t only. That will open up objections from a whole range of other groups with a vested interested.

I wonder if the television networks will take a stand on this issue by banning advertising that shows irresponsible handling of 4by's as a wayu to sell the product-I think not.

Oops, off my soapbox now.

Cheers to all

AnswerID: 64567

Follow Up By: Oz Trekker - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:04

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:04
G'day Landie,

You hit the nail right on the head with your comment about taking on the farming groups - I listened to an interview with the manager of Brunette Downs Station (the Barkly area) on the ABC's Country Hour yesterday and from his comments, he was less than impressed with the proposed new license.

He said that the cost of training & assessing the large number of workers on his station for the license would run into thousands of dollars considering the remoteness of the area and it is money that most large stations here in the Territory would not be prepared to spend for such a ridiculous outcome.

I really do think that voter backlash will 'can' the proposed license much the same as voter backlash in NSW years ago over gun ownership helped to bring down the Unsworth government.

I agree with some of the other forumites - we need to take a stand on this and let the pollies know that it's a load of crap.

Jeff
FollowupID: 325609

Reply By: Allan Mac (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:25

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:25
Just caught this wanker on the Today show. And the editor of 4x4 magazine wasn't too impressive either. And did I see right that this scrub tick is the president of the pedestrians association gord help us!!!!
AnswerID: 64573

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:04

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:04
I saw the segment this morning and apart from the VW at $150,000 argument, I thought that the editor of 4X4 Australia made Mr Scoobiedoo look like a real twit. I thought he got shot down in flames at every turn.
FollowupID: 325610

Follow Up By: Allan Mac (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 17:40

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 17:40
Agree with the fact that he shot his arguement to shreds. but didn't appear very forceful about it.. Maybe it was because Liebman(?) didn't give him much air time
FollowupID: 325677

Reply By: Rob! - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:42

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:42
rick,

I wouldn't give much credibility to those afternoon "current" affairs shows. I have never heard of any good journalism out of those wonnabe reporters.

They must have run out of ideas about the latest fad diet followed by a story why fad diets are bad for you.

Switch it off.

R.
AnswerID: 64575

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:37

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:37
the issue is if they keep throwing sh it, it will eventually stick.. no matter how pathetic the arguements..

Look at the Government as Mayor Quimby off the SImpsons... Say exactly what the loudest voices want to hear, even if its not the most logical, or in the best interests of ANYONE
FollowupID: 325618

Reply By: ceredig - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 15:37

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 15:37
4X4 driver test....

If we end up having to take an extra test to demonstrate the additional skills needed to handle a 4x4, we would then be an elite class of driver.

In a dispute or prosecution, say after an accident, should the guy with the higher class of licence get the benefit over the guy with the ordinary licence?
Would your insurance will be cheaper if you have a higher class of licence?

The two ideas above are actually negative in the big picture of things. As well, there will always be the hoon that gets the elite class licence and thinks that this will allow him to play up.

This idea was last discussed many years ago when it was thought a good idea to improve driver standards by offering an advanced driver test after a few years of experience.
The idea was dumped then and should be now.
AnswerID: 64655

Reply By: Big Trev - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 16:15

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 16:15
As everyone should know by now, I have lots of opinions (all experienced based about driver training), but I will not even bother to discuss what thatbleepprogram shows, I put Today Tonight, 60 Minutes and A Current Affair all in the same category - ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. All the do is incite reaction, not tell anything.

I feel sorry for anyone who believes any of what these programs say.
AnswerID: 64663

Reply By: Puddin (Sydney) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 17:00

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 17:00
I would love to do Mr Luff's test & show him how it's done & see what he says then. 7 News in Sydney had the some of same crap last night. It's funny how they never show the idiot car drivers I see every day like Rick on these shows.
AnswerID: 64667

Follow Up By: Big Trev - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 19:12

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 19:12
You don't have to be Einstein to work out that the bleep program uses Luff, it's coz he is the biggest w@nker of all times. Why don't these programs go to reputable driver training organisations? That is easy, coz in real life "it isn't that interesting", that's why the use Luff to spice it up it for the cameras. I feel truly sorry for his son who drives a V8 Supercar for Dick Johnson Racing.
FollowupID: 325922

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 17:01

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 17:01
Rick

If you do an archive search you will see that this subject did the rounds about 7 to 8 months ago sparking a looooong thread. It is just repeat stuff and is an urban myth. Just figure out the ramifications of implimenting such a licence.

Suggest you switch to ABC or the Comedy Channel :-))))))))
AnswerID: 64668

Sponsored Links