The Maheno in better days

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 09:51
ThreadID: 140360 Views:7714 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, not sure if a photo of the Maheno during its service life has been posted. This pic is on a postcard found in an elderly relative's papers.
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 11:39

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 11:39
Ken
That is a good find, a bit different to now, but explains how it became grounded. With that amount of smoke out the funnels it probably got lost in it's own brown fog.
AnswerID: 632921

Follow Up By: Ken O3 - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 13:11

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 13:11
Or gassed the crew !
FollowupID: 909831

Reply By: gke - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 14:54

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 14:54
The store at Happy Valley on Fraser Island has a good Maheno display of artefacts including furniture, photos and a replica bell the same as the one cast for Maheno in NZ.
Graham.
AnswerID: 632926

Reply By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 14:56

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 14:56
Could not copy the web site so just copied
Fraser Island's Maheno Shipwreck: Interesting Facts
You will notice that most Fraser Island tours will include a visit to Maheno Shipwreck. There’s no doubt that you have seen your friends, or friends of friends, in photos taken in front of the eerie wreck. But what is the wreck's significance? Is it REALLY a shipwreck? And what happened to the survivors? Here's a quick little history lesson on Fraser Island's Maheno Shipwreck.

'Maheno' is the Maori (native New Zealand language) word for 'island'

The ocean liner was built in Scotland in 1904 and was the world's first ever triple screw steamer (we don't know what that means either)!

It was first used as a hospital ship in World War I and then later purchased by a Sydney company to travel between Australia and New Zealand

The Maheno was then sold to a Japanese company whom planned to melt the ship into scrap metal and resell. The ship began its journey back to Osaka Japan in 1935 by tow, linked to another boat by chain

On this voyage the ship found itself in the middle of a seasonal cyclone off Fraser Island's coastline and lost its link to the other ship, which soon disappeared. It then washed upon the shores of 75 Mile Beach – luckily there was only a small crew onboard

Tales of the survivors soon began to hit headlines. There were stories of the Japanese crew members being too afraid to step off the boat for fear of cannibalism of the natives (only rumours of course)!

Other stories tell of the 8 crew members who camped up on the shores of Fraser Island for 3 days before being spotted by a plane

Crew members attempted to fix and refloat the boat but after proving unsuccessful, the ship was left abandoned

The Maheno shipwreck soon became a sacred for the native aboriginals, where the men would gather to play the didgeridoo and the women would venture to the site to give birth

Today, it is a popular tourist attraction that sits upon Fraser Island’s 75 Mile Beach and in simple terms – well worth the visit!

Katie tobias blogger
About the author:

Katie Tobias is an accomplished freelance travel blogger. Katie is a social media Guru, working full time for the Nomads & Base Backpackers group. Katies wit, love for researching & knack with words makes for an entertaining and informative read!

Connect with Katie Tobias on Linkedin
AnswerID: 632927

Follow Up By: Mikee5 - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 17:20

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 17:20
I would question the reference to Aboriginal use of the wreck as a 'sacred site' when most histories state that the last Aboriginies were removed to Yarrabah in circa 1902.
FollowupID: 909836

Follow Up By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 17:35

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 17:35
Mikee5
I must agree with you but it may be noted in some article, I did not do the research
I do know it was also used as target practice by defence in its early years on the beach
FollowupID: 909838

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 17:56

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 17:56
Definitely none there. The crew stayed on for months, there were weddings and formal events on it while the owners sorted out what to do with it. There was an auction in Brisbane for anything which wasn't bolted down - life boats etc. , and finally it was abandoned. It was used for bombing practice by Z force during WW2 while they were training on the island.
Plenty of older houses in Hervey Bay/ Maryborough feature 'frieze panel' walls lifted from the ship. The decks were Burmese teak. I 'liberated' some in the 1970's and my grandfather cleaned it up and french polished one side for me - it came up like new after all those years of abuse. I have extracts of statements of history by what is accepted to be the last local native guys who worked as stockmen on the island at and around that time (Ike Owens 1915 - 1977. Butchulla). There were no natives living on the island "gathering and playing didgeridoo" in the 30's and 40's.
FollowupID: 909840

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 18:11

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 18:11
A screw is a traditional name for the modern propeller, so a triple screw ship means it has three propellors - yes innovative when ships were mainly single screw with twin screws just starting to become more common.
FollowupID: 909841

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 18:16

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 18:16
So her proper name would have been 'TrSS Maheno', standing for triple screw steam ship.
FollowupID: 909842

Follow Up By: B1B2 - Thursday, Aug 13, 2020 at 06:50

Thursday, Aug 13, 2020 at 06:50
Just like the TrSS Titanic
FollowupID: 909846

Sponsored Links