Old Coach Road

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 24, 2020 at 05:46
ThreadID: 140538 Views:7990 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can I get directions from Wentworth to Remark via the Old Coach Road please. Want the quickest route. How well sign posted is it? Am in a 4 wheel drive. For travel next week. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Sep 24, 2020 at 07:33

Thursday, Sep 24, 2020 at 07:33
Hi Rosemary,

Have you looked it up on either Google Maps, or Hema Maps?

I personally have not travelled this route, but I have travelled on The Old Mail road on the Victorian side of the border, in 2015. This road can be almost impassable after heavy rain, and without knowing the condition of The Old Coach Road in NSW, one could assume (dangerous I know), that it could suffer from the same conditions. There has been some heavy rain up there in the last week, so perhaps you should also check out the road conditions on line with the NSW Government website.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633510

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Sep 24, 2020 at 23:26

Thursday, Sep 24, 2020 at 23:26
The two are quite different. The Old Mail through Victoria is mostly natural form road where The Old Coach Road sections I have driven on are well formed and gravelled roads. I have not travelled the the SA side but using Google Street View shows it to be well formed and maintained. No doubt there would be low spots that go under water when there is a bit of rain about and thus not trafficable.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 910566

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Sep 24, 2020 at 08:51

Thursday, Sep 24, 2020 at 08:51
Rosemary

Before you go making any plans, I suggest you contact the Wentworth VIC to see just how much rain that area has received.

The road itself is no challenge and very easy to follow. Your first detour while driving past would be into the Perry Sandhills. It is bitumen for around the first 20 odd Kilometres and you just follow the signs “Renmark”. You only have 2 options when doing the drive.

At the end of the bitumen you have the choice of going the main route which skirts the top of Lake Victoria, or the route I prefer, but a little longer, turning off to your left at the end of the bitumen and going via Rufus River and the bottom part of Lake Victoria.

Either way it’s an easy drive and you can not get lost.

There is lots to see along the way if you like to stop and investigate our past history. Another great detour well into South Australia is down through Chowilla

Enjoy the drive and just drive to the conditions
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633511

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Thursday, Sep 24, 2020 at 20:20

Thursday, Sep 24, 2020 at 20:20
agree , lake victoria / Rufus river is a great place to visit as you said.. great history
chowilla was closed at one stage i think due to covid ??
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 910565

Sponsored Links