Congratulations to new appointed Life Member - Frank P (NSW)

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 24, 2020 at 20:27
ThreadID: 140541 Views:7939 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Occasionally, we have the pleasure of giving recognition to people who go above and beyond. Today, we would like to let you know about Frank Paterson to whom we have just given Life Membership.

Whilst, it is possible to buy your own non-expiring Life Membership subscription via our shop to get your Life Membership, we have from time to time given Life Membership to people for exceptional contribution to the ExplorOz website in recognition for their volunteer work in the background assisting with content or admin management.

Frank first started getting involved behind the scenes after being an early adopter of the ExplorOz Traveller app (ie purchasing the very first version of ExplorOz Traveller app in June 2016). He had already been a long-term financial member and site user since 2008 but he told us that after many years of using OziExplorer and Hema maps he was very keen to use ExplorOz Traveller to be able to use our EOTopo maps. He is a regular traveller (or was before COVID), and is an avid user of navigational tools, maps and tracking and he was regularly in contact with us as he experimented with different features and tools and as we cut our teeth on the early versions of the app.

During these conversations, we quickly realised that Frank was offering insights from the user-perspective that were unique because he could talk in a language that was both respectful but also persistent. He has an inquiring mind, and an eye for detail and has commonsense in abundance.

It was Frank's unique ability to collaborate constructively with me (and I'm not that easy to deal with sometimes) to ensure we were both on the same page when discussing a potential "problem" that made us come to feel he was"part of the team". His likeable nature and approach to problem solving encouraged me to suggest he might like to consider being a Place Administer to give him more autonomy to fix things as he saw them - a role that is not taken lightly as it comes with a huge amount of trust on our behalf. Frank has been incredibly proactive in this role - and has invested enormous amounts of time into Places for which I am incredibly grateful. This type of contribution is so valuable to us - many hands make light work. He is completely thorough and accurate. Frank is also an active Forum user and so it was a natural progression that he moved into the role of moderator soon after.

Since COVID restrictions have been in place, and his vehicle sent away for warranty repair, he volunteered even further by proposing to create a series of Treks (starting with the 6 new Treks published last month) that follow the Rail Trails of Australia (shared-use treks for hikers, cyclists and horse back riders). This was a challenging project because up until then, we did not have a collaborative system that would enable a remote worker to do such a task - in fact thanks to Frank we now have a system whereby a Private Trek created in the app can be used to create a Public Trek - after some admin magic done by us in the background of course. He is now working on the Victorian High Country rail trails after completing the Great Victorian Rail Trail.

It is for all these reasons that Frank is very deserving of recognition and Life Membership is the least we can do and I hope this public expression of our gratitude also helps go towards showing our appreciation.

I called Frank today to give him the good news and found him enjoying his first COVID escape so I'm not sure if he'll check in to the website to see this post for a few days yet but please join with me in congratulating him.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 22 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Sep 24, 2020 at 21:07

Thursday, Sep 24, 2020 at 21:07
Congratulations Frank. Well deserved.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 633513

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 00:28

Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 00:28
Hello Frank, good on you, thanks for your contribution.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 633514

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 05:56

Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 05:56
Top job, Frank. Congratulations!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 633516

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 05:59

Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 05:59
Frank
Congratulations on your award that is richly deserved.
I am most fortunate to have known you since about 2008 when we purchased our Kimberley Karavan.
I agree with Michele’s comments about working with you. You have given me a lot of knowledge and advice that I have really appreciated.
Also, I have enjoyed the numerous times we have all met up.
Hope to see you again before too long.
Again congratulations.
Duncan Walker
AnswerID: 633517

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 11:47

Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 11:47
Well done Frank, and thanks for all you have done to make this site so useful.

Cheers
Jim and Ros
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633519

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 14:09

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 14:09
Good heavens, Michelle, thank you very much! Crikey, you've given me a lot to live up to with that little "EO CV".

My turn now ...

The bulk of the work was done in Covid lockdown. Virtual travel, I guess, instead of the real thing which was interesting because setting up a Trek requires a lot of research, especially for the history component. These rail trails and the associated Places that form the Trek are goldmines of interesting stuff, so it's not difficult to immerse yourself.

The process of creating those Treks caused me to gain an ever increasing respect for the work you and David do and the system you have set up in ExplorOz..EOTopo maps, Places, Treks, Comments and Reviews (which feed info into the Places and Treks databases), the Forum, the cleverness of the Traveller app, the tracking, the cleverness of the Trek processing (where relevant Places and nearby Places are automatically added to the Trek) and how all those things are integrated into a complete system bespeaks genius, in my opinion.

While many here express appreciation for the work you and David do, I don't think as many are fully aware of how interconnected everything is to create the EO system, and it is not until you get involved a bit with that system that you gain an appreciation of the bigger picture and the backroom processes that make it happen. And, folks, it's all the work of just one couple.

So hats off to you, David and Michelle. It's a pleasure to have been able to contribute in some small way to such a great endeavour.

And thank you to all the respondents in this topic, your comments are appreciated.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 633544

Reply By: Member - Vinchenzo47 - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 17:52

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 17:52
Well done Frank, and thanks for all you have done to make this site even more useful.
AnswerID: 633546

Sponsored Links