Ford Pass Remote

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 09:44
ThreadID: 140548 Views:9270 Replies:10 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
It seems Ford has introduced a feature where the vehicle can be started remotely. How does this comply with the law which says it is illegal to leave the engine running if you are more than 3 metres from the vehicle? 'If you are moving more than 3 metres from a vehicle it must be locked with the engine off unless there is someone over 16 remaining with the vehicle'
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 10:18

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 10:18
Technology is usually ahead of society, silicon valley releases technology all the time that there are no "laws" that cover it etc, one imagines ford doesn't car about the law aspect that is the users concern.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 633536

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 10:30

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 10:30
Many newer vehicles now have to this function and not all States have those laws - but in those jurisdictions it is still up to the owner to comply. So the means and how of the vehicle starting it is still up to the owner to comply. ie dont start the vehicle if you are more that 3 meters from it.
AnswerID: 633537

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 11:55

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 11:55
My daughters 6L V8 Commodore can be started remotely and is used to do exactly that, start it to cool the wagon down before going to get into it. A most desirable feature for those who unwisely choose to buy a BLACK vehicle, Heaven knows why, but they did. The whole vehicle because of technology is problem after problem after problem. They are nearly requiring wheel chairs as the service and repair costs are an arm and a leg each time. That is only 4 services/repairs. Ford has similar unreliability problems so if they now have that feature they are years behind other makes.
AnswerID: 633539

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Sep 28, 2020 at 09:15

Monday, Sep 28, 2020 at 09:15
The old black car is hotter debate ??

From memory, a study once found that the difference was like 2 or 3 deg between a black car and a white one.....and a temp of approx 55 deg on a hot day, the difference was unnoticeable .
FollowupID: 910630

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 11:57

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 11:57
'If you are moving more than 3 metres from a vehicle it must be locked with the engine off unless there is someone over 16 remaining with the vehicle'

I see nothing in the legislation to back that statement up. The quote below is a copy from the Australian Road Rules, 19 March 2018. That is the proforma that the states copy when formulating their own road rules. Point (3) only applies when the driver leaves the vehicle, not when he is approaching it. Also, the regulation only applies when the vehicle is on a road, the feature can thus be used when the vehicle is not on a road.

213 Making a motor vehicle secure
(1) This rule applies to the driver of a motor vehicle who stops and leaves the vehicle on a road, except so far as the driver is exempt from this rule under another law of this
jurisdiction.
Note: Motor vehicle is defined in the dictionary.
(2) Before leaving the vehicle, the driver must apply the parking brake effectively or, if
weather conditions (for example, snow) would prevent the effective operation of the
parking brake, effectively restrain the motor vehicle’s movement in another way.
Offence provision.
(3) If the driver will be over 3 metres from the closest part of the vehicle, the driver must switch off the engine before leaving the vehicle.
Offence provision.
(4) If the driver will be over 3 metres from the closest part of the vehicle, and:
(a) there is no-one left in the vehicle; or
(b) there is only a child or children under 16 years old left in the vehicle;
the driver must remove the ignition key before leaving the vehicle.
Offence provision.
(5) If the driver will be over 3 metres from the closest part of the vehicle and there is no-one
left in the vehicle, the driver must:
(a) if the windows of the vehicle can be secured—secure the windows immediately
before leaving the vehicle; and
(b) if the doors of the vehicle can be locked—lock the doors immediately after leaving
the vehicle.
Offence provision.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 633540

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 13:26

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 13:26
I agree, Peter, it's all in sub para (1). "Roads" are defined, so if you're parked on a defined "road" the rule applies. But it would not apply, for example, in a shopping centre car park.

While I agree with your interpretation of sub para (3), I think it would be an interesting argument if push came to shove over a fine :-)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 910596

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 19:11

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 19:11
I think it is just a NSW law - certainly not national.
FollowupID: 910613

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 19:48

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 19:48
Ozzie, I did not take that from the NSW road rules. It came from The Australian Road Rules. From that page you will see:

"The Australian Road Rules are model laws that have no legal effect. They form the basis of road rules of each Australian state and territory. For the most part, each state and territory has copied the Rules into their own laws, however, not every provision of the Rules has been copied exactly in each state and territory. Also, there are a number of provisions in the Rules that specifically leave certain matters to state and territory governments to determine."

As you state "certainly not national" you seem to know what you are talking about. You thus should be able to inform us which states did not copy the piece I quoted into their own road rules. Most of the Australian Road Rules have been incorporated into the states road rules verbatim. Maybe you can check and inform us if I am wrong about my quoted text.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 910615

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 13:21

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 13:21
The feature has been available for some years in many North American and perhaps European and other cold climate markets but in the pre "internet of things" days, perhaps with not quite so much "remotability".

Years ago I was at an ice hockey game in a Canadian stadium. Outside temperature was a typical minus 20. After the game, on the way to the car in the carpark, many cars were starting, seemingly all by themselves. BIL explained that many people installed remote starters, but they were only as good as the range of the pocket transmitter, so you only got a few minutes head start on the warm-up.

I understand from my neighbour, who is a Ford service advisor, that Ford uses the internet, so the remote operation can be done from afar, very afar! But it has its limitations. Doesn't work where there's no mobile phone service either at the car or where you are, eg remote (or in some cases, not so remote) areas, basement carparks, anywhere your mobile phone won't work.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 633542

Follow Up By: Members - Bow - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 13:44

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 13:44
The remote start on my Ram will work anywhere, it doesn’t use the mobile phone.
FollowupID: 910598

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 14:42

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 14:42
Out of curiosity, what range does it have, Bow? Is it just another button on your key fob, or something different?

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910599

Follow Up By: Members - Bow - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 15:30

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 15:30
Just another button on the key fob, the range is about 40m
FollowupID: 910601

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 at 19:55

Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 at 19:55
I gather the Panic button is if you find yourself on a tight track???
FollowupID: 910627

Reply By: Members - Bow - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 13:50

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 13:50
I love the remote start on my Ram, the air con is working before I unlock and open the door.

Don’t care if the remote start is legal or not.
AnswerID: 633543

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 15:53

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 15:53
You'll care to the tune of over $100,000 if your car is stolen.

FollowupID: 910605

Follow Up By: old mate - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 16:02

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 16:02
My VF Commodore wagon has remote start. its a series 1. I can remote start it but you still need to insert the key and turn it to on before you can drive off. If you try and drive off with out inserting key the car will shut down.
FollowupID: 910606

Follow Up By: Members - Bow - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 16:14

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 16:14
Tony, the car can not be stolen.
You can’t unlock the Ram without the fob.
It will not go into gear unless you are sitting in the car with the fob , foot on the brake and press the start button.
FollowupID: 910607

Follow Up By: Batt's - Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 at 13:01

Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 at 13:01
Can't unlock without fob someone would have bypassed that one by now there have been pro thieves and amateur one's that figure things out as new tech hits the market. All these fancy security gadgets are there for piece of mind for the owners sake. Manufacturers wouldn't be able to sell new cars unless they could convince unwary buyes their tamper proof and can't be broken into or stolen welcome to the real world.
FollowupID: 910619

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 at 16:09

Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 at 16:09
Do I observe stupidity creeping into the thread? That last one is really clutching at straws to get an answer into the thread. If someone could introduce a hack like that they could also have the ability to steel the vehicle without having to snatch it from under the nose of the owner.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 910623

Follow Up By: Batt's - Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 at 16:15

Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 at 16:15
Stupidity as you claim ? Having a bad ay are you.
FollowupID: 910624

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 at 18:45

Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 at 18:45
Play nice people. It's been a good thread up to this point.
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 910626

Follow Up By: John Baas - Monday, Sep 28, 2020 at 02:18

Monday, Sep 28, 2020 at 02:18
... and also, speling ang gramar chks would lower the blood pressures...
FollowupID: 910628

Reply By: Jarse - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 15:26

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 15:26
The feature has been around for years. I now have a car with the feature, and use it as most others here do - for aircon or heater.
It connects via mobile data or wifi (sim and wifi in car) and an app on my phone. So you need both the car and phone to be within mobile or wifi range for it to function.
There are numerous security features associated with it, including deadlocking the doors, and if you do manage to get in by smashing a window, you can't shift out of park, or if you push the brake pedal to select a gear without a key fob the engine shuts down.
I think the police are busy enough without loitering around car parks and private property waiting for miscreants.
AnswerID: 633545

Reply By: Member - Harry C - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 18:59

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 18:59
I have had such a vehicle you can remotely start it. You don't have to unlock it.
The windscreen is a travelling picture show

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 633547

Reply By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 at 07:48

Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 at 07:48
You can do a lot of illegal things in your car. It's your responsibility not to operate the vehicle illegally. Remote starting can be done both legally and illegally so it's your choice.
AnswerID: 633549

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 at 13:14

Sunday, Sep 27, 2020 at 13:14
In the mid 1980's I went to a local stereo shop at Hamilton in Newcastle I went outside with a salesman to his Toyo 4runner to look at his set up and as we approached he remotely unlocked the car then proudly said watch this and started the engine with the same remote. I was around 20yrs old and blown away by that thought it was so high tech.
AnswerID: 633551

Sponsored Links