Darwin To Cairns in a camper advice please.

Submitted: Monday, Oct 19, 2020 at 19:16
ThreadID: 140656 Views:8285 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The family and I are hiring a camper next June and planning a 5 week holiday. We start in Darwin and will slowly make our way to Cairns. We are only allowed to go on sealed roads. I am really keen to go along the The Savannah Way Highway 1. I keep reading different opinions on if it is sealed the whole way or not.
Has anyone been this way that can confirm either way? I am also going to be taking my gold detector with us so would be really happy if anyone has any good spots that they recommend for a bit of detecting.

Thanks everyone.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Monday, Oct 19, 2020 at 19:51

Monday, Oct 19, 2020 at 19:51
The section between Borroloola and Burketown is mainly unsealed and can be quite rough in places. There are also a couple of river crossings (no bridge or weir).
AnswerID: 633784

Follow Up By: Detectguy - Monday, Oct 19, 2020 at 20:23

Monday, Oct 19, 2020 at 20:23
Oh right. Ok looks we are going through Mt Isa instead. Thanks very much for the heads up. Greatly appreciated.

FollowupID: 910895

Follow Up By: Zippo - Monday, Oct 19, 2020 at 23:00

Monday, Oct 19, 2020 at 23:00
Pretty much Mt Isa if you're committed to blacktop. But for a bit of variety instead of Richmond & Hughenden, from Cloncurry you could duck up To Normanton (and Karumba - sunset cruise, crocs, ...) then east via Croydon & Georgetown to Cairns.

A lot depends on what - other than detecting - is of interest within the family.

For instance the Gulflander?
As you will have a vehicle on a one-way journey, the best deal is to "split" - one drives Normanton to the halway stop ("Blackbull"), then swap over with the other driver completing the section to Croydon. They specifically accommodate this half-and-half arrangement. Just a suggestion, doesn't add any significant time to the day's travel, but BOOK AHEAD if interested.
FollowupID: 910897

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020 at 23:40

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020 at 23:40
If you go for a ride on the Gulflander, you can get a bus back rather than miss doing the whole trip.

If you want to look at the Undara Lava Tubes, stop at Bedrock CP, Mt Surprise. Do the tour from there, it's generally cheaper and better than paying the booking commission to Undara resort.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 910902

Reply By: Ozi M - Monday, Oct 19, 2020 at 22:31

Monday, Oct 19, 2020 at 22:31
You may have this website but if not.................

https://www.savannahway.com.au/travel-tools/maps/

Tells you all about it
AnswerID: 633787

Sponsored Links