Pick this place

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 22, 2020 at 15:39
ThreadID: 140664 Views:7670 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Easy one for some.

It’s not a real submarine

It was going to be the 2020 gathering

If the rain comes in tonight we may be here for a few more days before heading to Googs lake
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Oct 22, 2020 at 15:54

Thursday, Oct 22, 2020 at 15:54
Hi Cruza

That is so easy, could have thrown in a couple of curve balls to make it harder, like the Organ Pipes or the old Stockyard Ruins.

The first picture is a water covered Lake Gairdner.

The second image is Sturt Desert Peas that could be anywhere in Remote Australia.

The third image in the Letter Box for Mount Ive Station and is 5 kilometres from the actual station and powered camping site.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633822

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Oct 23, 2020 at 08:12

Friday, Oct 23, 2020 at 08:12
You should have been excluded from this one Stephen. You probably even know the Lat Long coordinates off by heart. Or at least a very close guess.

I miss your fantastic deserts in SA. One day you might even let us Vics visit again. I even miss Port Augusta, that's how desperate things are! That last 90 minute, $300 shop at Woolworths, watching the trains through the fence at the Shoreline Caravan Park, and 1 more last-minute shop at Woolworths then a fill to the brim with fuel on the way out of town.

That's when the start of the desert trip feeling really starts to kick in. Ahh the good ol days.

FollowupID: 910919

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, Oct 23, 2020 at 10:33

Friday, Oct 23, 2020 at 10:33
You will get back Tony, just a matter of time, or you could apply to live here permanently.

We were lucky to get away in July when we did and hit the great red dirt country.

We had two other bush trips planned but it was not COVID that put a stop to it....but massive rains.

A few weeks ago, every dirt road north of Port Augusta was closed and here we are three weeks later and some have not fully recovered. More rain is falling up north as I speak and may put an end to my next planned trip......if it does dry out the wildflowers in mid November will be the best in around 7 years.

Will keep you posted
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910921

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Oct 24, 2020 at 07:26

Saturday, Oct 24, 2020 at 07:26
Might be that you'll need to get used to that map Stephen., la nina is upon us and a wet summer is forecast for a lot of the country including vast swathes of the outback. Lake Eyre full again? A distinct possibility if QLD forecasts come true.

Cheers.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910933

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Saturday, Oct 24, 2020 at 09:52

Saturday, Oct 24, 2020 at 09:52
That’s for sure Mick.

Bucket loads of rain again up north yesterday, this time people being stranded between creeks on the bitumen near Hawker and Quorn.

Kingoonya land locked again and this would now be the forth time in around 8 weeks.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910935

Reply By: B1B2 - Saturday, Oct 24, 2020 at 11:00

Saturday, Oct 24, 2020 at 11:00
The sub, was it an air bottle in a previous life? It is beautifully rivetted on the high stress area on the end.
Do you know what it was used for?
There is a similar tank in the Normanton museum and they had no idea what it was.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 633836

Sponsored Links