Landrovers, cars for the stupid ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1407 Views:2314 Replies:17 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I passed today broken down Landrover discovery on the side of the road . It had it's gearbox seized . Owner told me of endless list of repairs he had to do to this particular car . This man was always Landrover man , but now he is changing to something else . I dont want to slender any vehicle , but this is what he had to say about Discoveries . " Anyone that drives this piece of bleep and thinks he has got piece of tehnology must be either stupid or had lobotomy ".
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Greg - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00
Landrover makes nice 4x4's . Trouble is they just CAN'T MAKE THEM LAST . They may as well build them in India .
AnswerID: 4596

Follow Up By: James - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Yeah, I wrote mine off last summer after the bloody thing let me down in the Alpine National Park - Grimme Track.
I ended up rolling it onto the roof and got rescued by the lads at Heyfield RACV!
Thanks Dave and Travis!
So I've just bought myself a Diesel 75 Troopy. I reckon I may as well get something that won't let me down!
OK, so maybe there was a little driver error! But I still blame the Disco.

James "Roll-a-Disco" Feldman.
FollowupID: 1960

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Please do not let this drag out into another abusive post about a type of vehicle.If the crap and abusive posts and responses do not start to come out of the forum then I will regulate it and put a user registration processes in place to control it. I really do not want to make it harder for all people to use, but keep it up and I will be forced to implment changes.Almost feedup David.. And welcome back from holidays - thanks.
AnswerID: 4599

Follow Up By: Max - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Sorry if i offended anyone . I was just discribing my encounter with this bloke on the side of the road . It is not crap but a very interesting coment from a person that owned 11 rovers in last 15 years . That is what the forums are all about . Informing other people and the exchange of oppinions . That is what freedom of speach is all about . If the truth hurts , well so be it . Restrict the access, hold your hands together in the circle and sing ..."all 4x4's are the same , all 4x4's are the same" . You know what ? They are NOT .
FollowupID: 1961

Reply By: MarkC - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Welcome back David. This is probably stating the obvious, but you're not the only one fed up with some of the rubbish that gets aired on this forum, I think most users would agree. Somehow people should be made to be responsible for their posts. Then we can work out who these peole are and sinmply igonore them. And Max, if you don't like this forum, then don't use it. It's a simple choice.
AnswerID: 4603

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - David - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

The message is becomming very clear. It is also anoying when the original question on this thread has been lodged by Max with the wrong email address (I know because I get all failed emails from the forum). I am turning on some new stuff tonight and will work on some form of easy registration process. (Members will automatically be know when they are logged on so no additional registration will be required for ExplorOz Members). Sorry to have to start to impose better controls hopefully it will be for the best in the long run.Hopefully it will not take me to long to code something up.Disapointed David
FollowupID: 1963

Reply By: Bob - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Goran
Did you forget your medication again? Not a good idea. Take some typing lessons too :-)
AnswerID: 4609

Reply By: Rob - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

I for one would like to know if a service provider eg Berima Diesel in this case has provided a less than satisfactory service even if its only the opinion of one, as there is no smoke without fire. This form of information (some may call it critisim) can be usefull in determining what service is provided and what you specify is done rather than making an assumption on what you think will be done.
As far the bagging of Landrovers, its ???????? opinion. What is the difference between his remarks and those of Ron Moon in May 2002 4x4 Australia Worst 4x4 of all time dishonourable mentions such for the LandRover Series 3 " I had one of these, The Army was dumber - they had hundreds!" or for the International Scout " Some misguided people thought this was good, but they must have been on drugs." We live in a democratic society with freedom of speech. Impose restrictions and you defeat the purpose of the forum. If a particular thread is posted with an opinion which some may consider inflamatory, then the best policy is to ignore it. Starve the fire of oxygen and it will go out.
Rob
AnswerID: 4612

Follow Up By: Bob - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00
Rob
We sure do live in a free society with free speech. Implicit in that is some honesty. Max, Greg and Colins are all beat up characters invented by a deranged person with an irrational hatred of Landrovers. The forum should be a place for the airing of views and opinions based on real experience - not fabrications.
FollowupID: 1977

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Rob (an others) - the problem is not with expressing your opinion but HOW you express it - just a case of toning down the language to what most would call civilised and removing the extreme emotion (adding a bit of logic also helps) For example.. " Based on my personal experience Landrovers seem a bit unreliable – has any one else found this? I would not recommend purchasing a Landrover until a Royal Commission is carried out. If you own a Landrover I recommend you see your Doctor immediately!" would (in my opinion) be a good substitute for…" Anyone that drives this piece of bleep and thinks he has got piece of tehnology (sic) must be either stupid or had lobotomy ".
Regards
Greg
AnswerID: 4615

Follow Up By: Michelle - Exploroz - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Thank you Greg, it is all in the expression of the opinion.We have been very reluctant to restrict forum usage as so many people are suggesting because differences of opinion are important. The problem here is the use of language. It is the same in any workplace or when talking to any respected person - how you phrase your complaint or point of view makes all the difference. Unforunately, people think they because the forum is just words on a screen, that all decorum is void. As the owner of ExplorOz we are requesting a little respect for us, for yourself and for the 60,000 people that read this site each month.
FollowupID: 1968

Reply By: Mike - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Here,Here! Many thanks to the ExplorOz team, for your replies above. I like many others do not apprciate the boorish ramblings of these ficticious people, whose only desire is to bag some other type of vehicle, as I have stated before. If you guys don't like it, please, please go some where else. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 4619

Reply By: Andrew - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

I would like to add my support for the Exploroz team. The forum is for exchange of information and views. The problem arises when you get either a) idiots trying to cause flames on the forum or b)people who are emotive about a particular subject.
The forum is a place where emotions need to be put aside and facts put forward. Your personal knowledge facts. Not what someone told you. The guy with the dungery LandRover may simply not had it serviced regularly. We dont know what the truth behind his story is.
As for Disco's, there have been a lot sold, we do not see them all laying on the side of the road broken. There are good and bad vehicles..all makes and models.
So, lets get the emotion and the idiots out of the discussion and get back to informative facts.
I would support regulation of the forum if intentionally disruptive posts kept occuring.

PS..my Yahoo address is temporary till I move back to Aus and get a 'proper' account :)
AnswerID: 4628

Reply By: Old Soldier - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

My views are entirely on side with the Exploroz team and the other intelligent members of this forum who support them. I think we have all have enough of this fictitious garbage. To David and the Exploroz team - keep up the good work, I for one will be one of the first ones to register as a member of this forum if that is what it will take to keep out the garbage. I would also suggest that you make it an entry requirement to submit a VALID email address - not a web based one like hotmail, lycos etc. I will be happy to supply mine.
AnswerID: 4630

Reply By: Colins - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Great ! Silence the ones that criticise vehicles . Let's talk about fridges and compressors instead . Shame on this bloke for expressing his view .
Does any of this guys above own a Landrover by any chance ?
AnswerID: 4631

Follow Up By: Bob - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Here we go again. Are we going to meet another six or so of your split personalities Goran? You really must keep taking your medicine even when you feel OK.
FollowupID: 1976

Reply By: Brian - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

My God , how many Landrover owners with hurt feelings at one place . Is this the Landrover club forum ?
AnswerID: 4632

Reply By: jono - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Michelle & David,
i would be very careful about blocking people with web based email addresses. if you limit the forum to people with "propper" ISP provided email addresses then i think you could risk loosing quite a number of users. I do support some form of blocking for people who start flames but i'm not sure restricting web based email is the go. Not everyone who uses the internet has an ISP email address.

By the way, i do have a "propper" .......@iinet.net.au email address.

PS cant wait to read up on your trip, damn you for being able to go!
AnswerID: 4638

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - David - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Jono,Thanks for your input, I am not going to restrict the system to ISP only emails. This was someone else input, I will be however writing a screen to capture your name, email, screennames and password then sending an email which will contain a link, click the link and you will be registered. You will then logon with your screenname and password (I think). I have not done it yet as the bloody accounting is still happening.We are never able to just go as business and income are always calling you back however we now just go whenever we can. Not enough in our opions buy some more stuff will ya all.Thanks David
FollowupID: 1980

Reply By: Savvas - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Hi guys .... So what's been happening around here? ; - )

AnswerID: 4640

Reply By: Old Soldier - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Here we go again. the same split personality Land Rover hating poster with numerous identities. Last time he [she, or it] was easily picked up by his lousy English grammar, punctuation and syntax. This time he is making new dumb errors. Have a look at the posts of Max, Greg, Colins and Brian - all anti Land Rover posts. Have a look at the way this (these?) cretin(s) does his periods. A space after the sentence, the period, and then another space. Funny that, all other members of the forum seem to their periods the normal way :) :) :) This also applies to an exclamation mark in one of his posts. Oh, and by the way Colins, Brian or whoever the hell you are this hour, if you knew anything about this and other similar forums, you would be aware that at least 2 of the people who are supporting the Exploroz team in this matter are Jackaroo drivers and NOT all Land Rover drivers as you intimated. Why don't you go and watch Playschool you child?
AnswerID: 4645

Reply By: Rob - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

The more comments, received back will only serve as gratification for the person (s) who started the initial thread. Don't reply to them, break the cycle, the intended result will not be gained. Notice no reply from the original poster( s), just like a fire bug light the match, stand back and watch.
Rob
AnswerID: 4647

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00
Good point Rob. Any parent knows the way you get the rug rats to stop pestering you is to ignore thier outbursts.
FollowupID: 1987

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00

Yes, I take your point as well Rob - a good one. I sat back during the last little round of these "discussions" and did not comment. however I was bloody annoyed it had surfaced again, and made comment this time. I have now had my say and will make no further comment. I suppose whoever this strange person is they must be working on the "action provokes reaction" principle. It is certainly working :) :) I agree - lets ignore them.
FollowupID: 1988

Follow Up By: Alredytaken69 - Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00

yes ur right. sometimes I'm so weak. but no man is an island.........
FollowupID: 1995

Reply By: Ed - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00
Don't know about discoveries but my TD5 defender has been the most reliable performer. My wife and I are teachers in the Remote Teaching Service of WA and have driven the great central road, the gunbarrel and many other roads between the aboriginal communities that we have taught in and visited. Through mud and corrugations that go forever our car has been great.
AnswerID: 4753

Reply By: Alan H. - Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 14, 2002 at 00:00
Good one Ed, nice to hear something positive for a change. I run a 1996 Discovery 300 TDi and,yes, I've changed a few oil seals and the cam belt, plus the normal maintenance one would, or should, do on any vehicle.
I've never had a breakdown but I've certainly had some heartstopping moment from a few other drivers to whom a Landrover pulling a caravan, or even without the van, is like a red rag to a bull!
They are best described as "Pigs, not Kings, on or off the road" and that doesn't only apply to the drivers of vehicles promoted by the advertisement with similiar wording.
I believe a moderator would be an improvement, as others running forums such as the ABC have found it necessary due to the inflammatory language used by some subscribers.
While moderating the language, possibly they could correct their spelling as well, it's atroshus!
AnswerID: 4846

Sponsored Links