Who to insure with?

Submitted: Friday, Nov 20, 2020 at 08:29
ThreadID: 140759 Views:8154 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, who to insure with? for my "new to me" rig, thanks
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, Nov 20, 2020 at 08:50

Friday, Nov 20, 2020 at 08:50
By the look of the rig it will be used on highways, not rough tracks. There should be many options for you.
Generally the better known ASX listed companies will not let you down. eg the NRMA, RACQ, Suncorp, GIO etc.
Good luck, and I hope you don't need to lodge a claim !!!

"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634156

Reply By: Slopokin - Friday, Nov 20, 2020 at 08:54

Friday, Nov 20, 2020 at 08:54
Nice looking Rig Norm

I have found Shannons to be good to deal with and the most competitive pricing.
AnswerID: 634158

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Friday, Nov 20, 2020 at 10:53

Friday, Nov 20, 2020 at 10:53
Hi Norm.

Have a look at this website. Well worth joining their club.


They use Ken Tame and Associates who we have found to be very competitive.


AnswerID: 634159

Reply By: PeterInSa - Friday, Nov 20, 2020 at 14:17

Friday, Nov 20, 2020 at 14:17
We are in the CMCA and have insured our Long Wheel Base High Rood Sprinter Campervan with Ken Tame, KTI also covers $1000 of breakdown cover a year if needed.

Would also look at NRMA and CIL.

AnswerID: 634163

Reply By: Keith B2 - Saturday, Nov 21, 2020 at 11:46

Saturday, Nov 21, 2020 at 11:46
I have a home built caravan which may have made things more complicated. It's independently valued at $140K. I got quotes from CIL, Ken Tame and Club 4x4 (who I have my car with).
Club 4x4 was through the roof and CIL was cheaper than Ken Tame with what seems to be similar cover.
AnswerID: 634187

Reply By: Kenell - Saturday, Nov 21, 2020 at 12:08

Saturday, Nov 21, 2020 at 12:08
The advice you have already received is sound. I will preface my response by saying I have no connection with any insurers although I spent 45 years in the industry.

Suncorp has numerous brands. ie CIL, Shannons, AAMI, GIO etc. Last time I checked there are 2 exclusions that are common to all their brands that concern me. One relates to "actions of trees" and the other excludes any cover whilst the vehicle is being transported ie following a breakdown. Depending who you speak to you may find the trees exclusion is only intended to prevent damage caused by roots in an onsite type arrangement or sap damaging the paint. To satisfy myself I asked for a written assurance (and got it) to say that damage by falling trees or branches etc is still covered. Unfortunately not all staff are sufficiently versed in the intention of this exclusion.

The transportation exclusion really bugs me. It is there because the insurer apparently thinks the transporter will cover it . That is just not good enough imho. Such policies are restricted and you have no visibility of what is and isnt covered.

The Ken Tame arrangement either via CMCA or presumably directly with him is underwritten by Allianz and they are reputable in my experience but I havent done any recent analysis on their RV type product. The only advice I will offer is don't let cost be your main consideration.

Good luck with your research.
AnswerID: 634188

Sponsored Links