El Questro Camping

Submitted: Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 16:22
ThreadID: 140779 Views:9184 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Ok Guys need help on Booking a Camp Spot at El Questro , going there for the first time so would like it to be a great Location (spot),Like Wow this is Awesome kinda spot.cheers GD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 16:58

Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 16:58
Hi Greendog,

Here is the link to El Questro's camping.
Their website states that they are re-opening on the 1st April 2021. (Not sure if that is a joke or not)
But, yes, we found it a good place to visit despite some knockers.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634226

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 17:12

Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 17:12
Also make sure you do all their four wheel drive tracks......there are some great views to be had
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 911345

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 17:52

Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 17:52
Thanks Allan ,we have looked at the Camp Map of El Questro ,just need to do more research. Thanks
FollowupID: 911349

Follow Up By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2020 at 07:52

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2020 at 07:52
We As Alan found it a good place to visit despite some knockers & I actually had my birthday there (May last year) & the bar with its live music & fire pit was great place to meet/mix with others, the music was not loud so you could still have a conversation & could be hardly herd if at all from the camp site, prices were reasonable, there’s plenty to see & do, & don’t forget to say hello to donkey (forgot its name for the moment) but is usually standing in the way on the way in, & if you’re going to the hot springs check the time you’re going as now its closed I think it’s in the Morning for the VIP guests who are staying out at the exclusive accommodation but us bottom dwellers just camped in main camp site but as you can see on your map you can get your own private camp site, I’ve always stayed a few nights there & enjoyed it & it does have some of the nicest swimming holes
FollowupID: 911360

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 18:32

Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 18:32
But not the hole with Eric the giant salty LOL
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 911392

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 17:03

Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 17:03
Hi Greendog

Do you mean a particular campsite .... eg a particular number ??

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634227

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2020 at 16:40

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2020 at 16:40
I have stayed there a few times in Black Cockatoo.
We could not get a private campsite.
We managed to get the site by the river both times.
However these sites are right next to the fence which delineates the bus camping area and the general camping area and we had a person with suspected Alzheimer's set up his bus tent within 1 metre of our camper trailer on the other side of the fence.
However the spot was otherwise good and a short walk to the swimming hole near the units.

Some people bought police tape with them to stake out an area! as there are no pegged sites so there is a possibility of border disputes or notional site encroachment.
It's been a few years since i have been there so it may have changed but it looks like the prices have certainly changed if the $80 for 2 in an unpowered site is correct.
The amenities were also pretty stretched when we were there when the buses came in as they are "donga" style.
There are several good walks up gorges and the electric boat hire to Chamberlain Gorge is worthwhile as is the trip over the road toEmma gorge.

AnswerID: 634231

Reply By: Pepper - Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 16:32

Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 16:32
Was about $84 / night to camp there about 18 months ago for two people .

Yes campers are mooved on from various attractions to accomodate higher paying guests.
AnswerID: 634251

Reply By: Alan H11 - Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 08:31

Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 08:31
We've camped at a couple of sites:

- a site in the main public area, which was fine and convenient for the bar, cafe, etc., it was (last year) AUD44 per night including the pass. There were lots of sites - the area was very busy (late June) and the sites were a good size (perhaps tight if two vehicles are sharing a single site).

- We've also stayed at a private "riverside site" - AUD60, a shared ecotoilet and nothing else; it was on the river bank however there was no view of the river since it was surrounded by vegetation. If you go for a private site I suggest checking this.

Overall El Questro is very busy, however has a lot to do and some great places to visit: Zebedee Springs (hot springs), Moonrise Gorge, El Questro Gorge, Branco’s lookout. We did an organised "Bird outing" to the end of of the runway and then the Chamberlain river; the birds were there although the "guide" had limited ability.

The access road is (or was last year) heavily corrugated.

We've made no bookings - just showed up.
AnswerID: 634272

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 15:14

Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 15:14
Been a few years now but we stayed in one of the private campsites No. 28 named Kite.
Away from most and quiet which suited us. I would recommend it but horses for courses.
Sitting around the fire at night you could hear the dingo's howling as they approached our camp.
All very interesting until they sounded like they were standing behind us. We squibbed it and went and sat in the van until we could hear them again in the distance.
We booked in when we arrived but think we might have jagged it.
AnswerID: 634277

Sponsored Links