Rudall River / Karlamilyi

Submitted: Friday, Dec 18, 2020 at 19:37
ThreadID: 140879 Views:6866 Replies:2 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Will be in RR /Karlamilyi in mid Jun. Approaching from Newman. Would prefer to approach from the west via Balfour Downs Stn (currently up for sale?) --> private track NNE --> Christie Crossing --> Hanging Rock etc. Anyone done this recently & condition of track & any access problems???? Seems a nicer way than coming in from the sth via Talawana Track.

Also, anyone have the coordinates for Trotmans cave (which I'm assuming is Jinawanura Cave nr Christmas Pool?). Apparently the tourist operators know all these interesting places but it is not published on ExplorO
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Dec 18, 2020 at 21:28

Friday, Dec 18, 2020 at 21:28
Mick O is the full bottle on all things Karlamilyi.

We exited the Park the way you are intending to enter, in June '18. "Track" is an apt description for the way in, past Hanging Rock. Another group had travelled that way previously, so we more or less followed their tracks. It's a good drive, the jewel being Hanging Rock, but some of journey on Balfour is close to spectacular.

We weren't in a hurry, but took about 1.5 days from Desert Queen Baths out to Christie's Crossing.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634470

Follow Up By: Member - Drew T (Melbourne) - Friday, Dec 18, 2020 at 21:52

Friday, Dec 18, 2020 at 21:52
Thanks Bob. I'm thinking that from Christie Crossing you headed NW to Nullagine. I'm particularly interested in the track sth from Christie Crossing down to Balfour Downs
FollowupID: 911685

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Dec 18, 2020 at 23:57

Friday, Dec 18, 2020 at 23:57
Correct, Drew. Followed Skull Springs Road, fuelled up at Nullagine & camped on way to Newman.

Can’t help with that road south to Balfour, but we encountered a newish road that crossed the old road a couple of times, north from Christie’s, roughly paralleling it. Wondered if it was a newer alignment back to Balfour?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911686

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Dec 19, 2020 at 07:49

Saturday, Dec 19, 2020 at 07:49
Cant help with the specific question, but jus comment that the track in from the north (through the Telfer mine) is far more interesting than the southern access via the Talawana west Track.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 911688

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 19, 2020 at 11:36

Saturday, Dec 19, 2020 at 11:36
In 2018 the southern access track via White Gums Bore had the most horrendous corrugations I've ever seen for its full length from the bore north, caused, IIRC, by traffic off the CSR diverted because of floods between Well 24 and 33.

I don't know if it ever gets graded. If it doesn't it won't be any better.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911692

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Dec 19, 2020 at 13:12

Saturday, Dec 19, 2020 at 13:12
Yes they were a tad rough then Frank.
We had camped alongside an elderly couple at Jarra Pool, who had an immaculately restored 40 series troopy with the skinniest leaf springs I can recall ever seeing . When we left to take that southern track we took it very slow but neverthless caught up with the couple just as they arrived at White Gums bore even though they had left at least two hours ahead of us. They had had enough for the day & were going to overnight at the bore. We did at least have a close encounter with a dingo as we we were crossing the river.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 911695

Reply By: maurice b - Sunday, Dec 20, 2020 at 11:19

Sunday, Dec 20, 2020 at 11:19
I don't know about current permissions but in 2018 and with @Bob Y we had planned to exit south from Cristie's Crossing , however Balfours Downs did not allow us as they were in process of there annual mustering . We exited towards the north west and then found that a new graded road on the southern end was actually a short and quicker way to the north . This track was not show on any maps .
AnswerID: 634476

Follow Up By: Member - Drew T (Melbourne) - Sunday, Dec 20, 2020 at 17:28

Sunday, Dec 20, 2020 at 17:28
Thanks for that info Maurice. Yes the routeNewman to Balfours Downs - Christie - Hanging Rock etc would be my preferred route but coming in from the NW is one alternative. I will check with Balfour Downs closer to the time.
Strange but not many folks seem to have been through Karlamilyi in 2019
FollowupID: 911703

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Monday, Dec 21, 2020 at 16:46

Monday, Dec 21, 2020 at 16:46
G'day Adventurers

As Maurice B ~ says the track he and his crew exited on in 2018 was not shown on current maps, most of the new or newer tracks throughout the western desert region in the East Pilbara are there due to the exploration/resources sector many of these tracks end up at an abandoned work camp area and even more end up at a drill site, so it is very prudent to manage fuel usage estimates as there can be a fair deal of retracing your already traveled tracks.

Hopefully this does not come across as being boastful ~ but I was into and through the Rudall River N/P three times during 2019 and I was back there again in April of this year, I usually don't bother to highlight my journeys simply because, there's no point really, but if someone want's to know, I've just today returned to Newman after a 3150 kilometre round trip mixing it with the lunatic fringe who wander the major highway systems in Western Australia ~ I am possibly a loony too because I had my caravan in tow for the most part.

Safe travels : Joe F

FollowupID: 911715

Follow Up By: Member - Drew T (Melbourne) - Monday, Dec 21, 2020 at 22:06

Monday, Dec 21, 2020 at 22:06
Thanks Joe, that's good info. Impressed that your caravan has held together on some of those corrugated tracks!!

Perhaps closer to my departure I could pm you with any final questions I have.
Cheers .. Drew
FollowupID: 911716

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Monday, Dec 21, 2020 at 22:35

Monday, Dec 21, 2020 at 22:35
G'day Drew T

Sorry mate, I may have unwittingly lead you up a corrugated bush track by posting my images which have absolutely nothing to do with my Rudall River N/P wanderings, all of my R R n/p trips were solo vehicle trips and to places well away from the heavily flogged waterholes that are targeted by most people who venture into the region, though I have towed my trailer into many of the waterholes in the park, back when I was doing tag along tours for a living.

My posted images are of my most recent long haul road trip, mostly on tar seal but with plenty of off road side trips.

No worries with any final question pm's ~ if I can help I will.

FollowupID: 911717

Follow Up By: Member - Drew T (Melbourne) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2020 at 08:21

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2020 at 08:21
Actually JoeF .. one initial question per my original post .. do you have the coordinates of Trotmans cave (which I'm assuming is Jinawanura Cave nr Christmas Pool?).
I can't see how to personal message (pm) you via this forum, so perhaps you could reply via email to me & then I'll have your email for any further questions.

drew323241@gmail.com

Cheers .. Drew
FollowupID: 911720

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2020 at 12:09

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2020 at 12:09
G'day Drew
I will have to dig through my journals to get the position fix for Trotmans Cave as my first visit there was back in the late 1990's, I did take the Long/Lat fix then and only then.

If you prefer I will email you and open a dialog if you don't wish to have a Forum exposure regarding travel plans etc, I don't particularly mind the open Forum as very knowledgeable blokes like Maurice B and Bob Y are then able to offer their genuine advice which I consider to be expert because I know they have actually been there and I know both these genuine desert adventurers personally.

I having said that, all the very best MB and BY ~ safe travels and a safe and peaceful 2021

FollowupID: 911722

Follow Up By: Member - Drew T (Melbourne) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2020 at 23:25

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2020 at 23:25
Hey Joe. More than happy to communicate via the forum .. I was only thinking that no one had answered my original question re Trotmans Cave etc because there was a reluctance to make the info public!
Cheers .. Drew
FollowupID: 911725

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2020 at 00:12

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2020 at 00:12
G'day Drew

An interesting point about not making the location of Trotmans Cave public ~ are people worried a mob like Rio Tinto might just blow it of the face of the earth ~ as if something like that could ever happen and in the Pilbara of all places ~ just saying!

FollowupID: 911726

Sponsored Links