E10 in steel tank

Submitted: Friday, Dec 25, 2020 at 06:45
ThreadID: 140896 Views:6509 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello I have just installed a brown Davis long range tank in my v6 hilux .I have only ever used e10 however I have heard that ethanol attracts moisture therefore could corrode the tank over time.Should I be worried or is the 10% ethanol too small an amount to do any damage?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Dec 25, 2020 at 07:44

Friday, Dec 25, 2020 at 07:44
Hi Johnny,

I wouldn’t worry too much, Petrol can also attract moisture in the form of condensation.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634510

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Dec 27, 2020 at 07:59

Sunday, Dec 27, 2020 at 07:59
As a follow up to my original response, as someone else has pointed out, Ethanol being an alcohol is “miscible” in water, and will allow the water to pass through into the engine with little if any detrimental affect.

I for one am sceptical that the ethanol based fuels are really doing anything for the environment. They are not an efficient fuel compared to straight petrol, (less kms. per Litre), so you use more fuel to get where you are going. Not knowing the chemical composition of the exhaust gasses of ethanol based fuel as compared to straight petrol, I am not sure how much difference 10% ethanol actually makes in greenhouse gas emissions. In low volume sites, the ethanol can settle out into a layer, so you really do not know if you are getting 10%, 20% or straight petrol.

May be 35 years in the Oil Industry has given me a biased view, however any of the “bio” fuels come with other issues.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 911761

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Dec 27, 2020 at 13:12

Sunday, Dec 27, 2020 at 13:12
I agree Macca. It's a "FeelGood" fuel.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 911768

Reply By: Members - North200 - Friday, Dec 25, 2020 at 08:28

Friday, Dec 25, 2020 at 08:28
All I know is that E10 in a boat fuel tank is a major disaster. A fuel tank full of water is not good.
AnswerID: 634512

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Dec 25, 2020 at 11:28

Friday, Dec 25, 2020 at 11:28
Johnny,

Ethanol doesn't actually "attract" water. But, as an alcohol, it will happily mix with water. Look at how much water gets into a glass of whisky!

But if you have been using E10 in the past without incident I doubt you will have a problem with your new tank. As to rust, read the extract from Brown Davis website below........

"Brown Davis Aluminised Steel long range fuel tanks are constructed from 2mm aluminium coated cold rolled steel, to ensure maximum strength and durability. This gauge of steel is sufficiently resistant to impact damage that additional tank guards are not necessary. The aluminium coating on the specific steel used by Brown Davis, offers the best of both worlds with the strength of steel and the anti corrosion properties of aluminium."
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634513

Follow Up By: Zippo - Friday, Dec 25, 2020 at 13:15

Friday, Dec 25, 2020 at 13:15
As Allan said, alcohol (ethanol) is miscible with water in all proportions. Petrol is NOT, and at best any low levels of water in petrol will remain as globules which cause issues with fuel filters.

Adding alcohol to a petrol tank containing any water in fact absorbs the water and the combination then readily mixes with the petrol, allowing the water content to pass through fuel filters.

Back in the olden days if we ever saw signs of water in our filters (remember the glass bowl on the fuel pump of early Holdens etc?) we would add a bottle of meths (96% ethanol) to the tank. The only discernible side-effects were minor ignition ones - a reduction in octane rating but cooler burning - depending on the actual alcohol/petrol proportions.
FollowupID: 911745

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Sunday, Dec 27, 2020 at 12:01

Sunday, Dec 27, 2020 at 12:01
Yep, when I first started reading I thought why would ethanol cause a problem, it was common practice in the past to add a bottle of metho to a tank of fuel to dissolve the water so it could pass into the engine and be burnt.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 911767

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Saturday, Dec 26, 2020 at 14:35

Saturday, Dec 26, 2020 at 14:35
I just wanted to say, old servos have steel tanks. The e10 cleans their surfaces and you buy the rust cleaned off. It is more that issue, than your installed tank rusting. If you can afford 95 as opposed to 94 e10, thats a better fuel, but 10 cents a litre is excessive to minimise the potential for buying rust, maybe 95 in old servos and 94 in newer ones....
AnswerID: 634522

Sponsored Links