Location services

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 16:15
ThreadID: 140974 Views:6207 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Any one else experiencing the ‘location services window’ popping up all the time on their iPad whilst you are just wanting to scroll around the map for a look around? I can understand it popping up once just as a reminder but every time you move the map or do anything else it just keeps annoying you, I don’t have location services on all the time for privacy reasons & wondering if this can be minimised some how or a fix for the program.

Cheers,
Pete.
Work to live don’t live to work

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 18:14

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2021 at 18:14
Yep , and it is a bloody nuisance! I don’t want to have my location services turned on either when I don’t need it.
What developers could do is have another window pop up and say :
“Don’t show this again” by ticking a box.
AnswerID: 634759

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 08:08

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 08:08
On my Iphone SE and Ipad , if you go into Settings then down to the app involved, you can choose to set location services as all the time or while using the app only.
if you choose while using the app only then it will not come on.
BTW you have to do that with all apps that use location services.
FollowupID: 912140

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 09:40

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 09:40
You’re missing the point phil, we want to use it simply to browse with location services turned off. I use several other mapping apps and this is the only one that doesn’t cooperate with location off , all the others, no problem.
FollowupID: 912141

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:53

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:53
Well perhaps you should have indicated that it is app specific.

Which app is it? Maybe someone can help you find the problem if you tell them which app is involved.

There may be a hidden menu or something.

In general what I have said is correct for Ipad and Iphone.
FollowupID: 912147

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:19

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:19
FSH & Wicket,

Personally I don't know why you have concerns with location services being on all the time, although I understand you have your reasons.

What I do is leave location services on , I have each app set with either, never use, ask permission, or while using the app.

With Traveller it is set to always on. If your not tracking it is not sending your info anywhere. If you don't have the lock on in the map screen its not showing your location.

Regards

TrevorDavid

dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912149

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 16:28

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 16:28
You can do it like this:

Accept the permission needed by the app which is "Use Location Services - Always" but then go into your Apple device settings and turn off Location Services.

That will stop the pop-up message the iOS system is delivering to you.
You have full control of turning off your Location services to your device so do it that way.

PS: the use of location services in the Traveller app is so that the app can RECEIVE your location to display where you are on the map. It is not SENDING your location anywhere. The Apple approval process is especially stringent on checking how apps use your Privacy and as of December 2020 no app could be approved without passing their new Privacy checks. V5.0.7 - the latest version of Traveller was released in January 2021 so you can be confident that ExplorOz Traveller has passed.

There is an option for Members to use the Tracker - when this is enabled, you authorize the syncing of your tracking to leave your device and be sent to your online account. The purpose of this feature is to backup your data in case your device is damaged and/or to allow you to save your tracking and keep a reference of past trips - saving creates Track Logs. There are plenty of privacy defaults and options for you to manage all this if you have concerns. .....

By default your home address is setup as a Geofence which puts up a privacy perimeter around your home - you can adjust this to offset it, increase/decrease and you can create as many Geofences as you require for other sensitive areas.

Also by default, the Tracker is set to Private, which means no one but you has access to view the Active Tracking as it syncs to your account. If it's Private, you can still send a link to family/friends with a password to let them view it which will require they enter a Security Key password to open it.

After your trip has completed you have the option to clear the active tracking and save it or delete it. If you save, you then have the option of what to do with the tracking data.
Status options are : Locked, Shareable, or Open. Only Open status Track Logs can be viewed on the website yet they retain the privacy of Geofences so that is shown is a line drawn on the map along the course of the road/track you travelled. You can also edit the route line - by trimming the start/end if you wish to cut out parts etc.

Furthermore - the Tracking doesn't identify you - the tracking only shows the name you have assigned to your device - by default this says the name of the app (Traveller or Tracker) and the platform (i.e Android or iOS or SPOT etc) and then in fine print it gives the name of the user - this shows your ExplorOz screen name (ie. for you it shows FSH00).

This is very high level of privacy and gives you total control the whole way through.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634780

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 16:56

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 16:56
"Location services" is found in "Privacy" ....

Took me a while to find it . :)

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912167

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 18:35

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 18:35
“”You can do it like this:

Accept the permission needed by the app which is "Use Location Services - Always" but then go into your Apple device settings and turn off Location Services.

That will stop the pop-up message the iOS system is delivering to you.
You have full control of turning off your Location services to your device so do it that way.””

Sorry Michelle but that doesn’t work, the pop-up always appears , one can’t even move the map without it appearing, it’s a PITA.
FollowupID: 912172

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 18:47

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 18:47
Hang on, how could the app be telling you to accept a permission that you've already accepted?
Did you really setup "Use Location Always"? If that is on, you will not get the message from your device warning you to turn it on. The Help Desk should be used now please - then we can figure out which part you're not doing right. How about you go take some screen shots to send to me via the HD and make sure before you do, that you've closed the app (force close), powered off/on your device etc - all the usual basic troubleshooting steps because the problem you're now describing is not possible if you've done as instructed sorry.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912173

Reply By: Member - FSH00 - Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 19:15

Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 at 19:15
Sent info via help desk.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 634781

Reply By: Member - FSH00 - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2021 at 22:12

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2021 at 22:12
Just updated the the app & it is now working fine with location services off, thank you for the fix.
Pete.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 634844

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2021 at 10:16

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2021 at 10:16
Well done Michelle :)
FollowupID: 912262

Sponsored Links