Cairns District - best caravan park

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 11, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 141 Views:3969 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi the wife and i plan to visit queensland up the matilda highway from melbourne to karumba and then to cairns . Need advise on best caravan parks we are both in our 60s - the wife just almost.
Heard that north of cairns a place called wonga beach is great and also coconut beach plan to spend seven days and your help would be most appreciated . have put back departure till may 1st because of present weather regards peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John- Thursday, Mar 15, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Mar 15, 2001 at 01:00
Peter
I am a Police Inspector living and stationed in Cairns. The best Caravan Park in Cairns itself is the Cairns Coconut Caravan Resort at the corner of Bruce Highway and Anderson Rd. (About 5 kms South of the C.B.D.) I believe that this park has (again) won the National award for the best Caravan Resort recently. This park is of a tremendous standard, containing all possible facilities, including provisions for caravans, motorhomes (all sizes), Camping, terrific facilities, etc. There are a large number of Caravan Parks around Cairns. Most are of a very good standard. If you would like any further assistance when you get here, e-mail me prior to your arrival and I will provide you with contact phone numbers. Re your inquiry about Wonga Beach....A lovely place, approximately 90 kms North of Cairns, up past Port Douglas and Mossman. Dont worry about not being able to find a beautiful place to stay for a while in a good standard, well-equipped Caravan Park. If you havent been up this way before, make sure that you allow PLENTY of time for your stay. I have been here for 2.5 years and I reckon by the time I retire in about 3 years, I will have seen SOME of the things deserving of visiting in this area. The Atherton Tableland alone is worth a couple of weeks.Cairns is worth about the same time as an absolute minimum (to see the Reef, etc.) I know I sound like a travel agent for Cairns but I am sure you will agree when you get here. If you need a hand at all when you get here, let me know!!!!
AnswerID: 271

Reply By: peter white - Friday, Mar 16, 2001 at 01:00

Friday, Mar 16, 2001 at 01:00
Gday John Thanks very much for your help and offer - Do not have your email address but mine is pw@alphalink.com.au . promis not to be a bother but would be most gratefull for any advise . Am member vks737 on hf call sign victor 4868 cell call 4868 . Are you on HF also regards peter
AnswerID: 272

Reply By: Rob- Friday, Mar 16, 2001 at 01:00

Friday, Mar 16, 2001 at 01:00
Hi Peter, There are many good caravan parks in the Cairns area but I agree with John, Coconut Village would be the pick of them. Make sure you drop in and say hello on your way through. We Cairns ppl like nothing better than showing off our wonderful area.
Cheers Rob.
Cairns OffRoad Training & Tours
AnswerID: 273

Reply By: Narelle - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:00
Hi Peter (and Mrs Peter) - I havent been lucky enough to visit it myself, but some friends have just returned from Cairns and raved about the Cairns Coconut Resort. Their website is www.cairnscaravanresort.com.au - just thought Id would pass it on to you in case you dont have it. Save travels.
AnswerID: 290

Reply By: Brett - Saturday, Mar 24, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Mar 24, 2001 at 01:00
Coconut Village was much more expensive than most of the other parks in Cairns. Mid December 2000 they asked us for $28.00 per night for a Camper trailer and 2 adults. The facilities did look good but generally not worth the extra for a couple of adults
AnswerID: 302

Reply By: Darrin - Thursday, Apr 12, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 12, 2001 at 00:00
Peter, We travelled a route very similar to yours last year. We spent a coupla of days in cairns at the Sunland which wasnt the best. We then went on to the Daintree and returned to Cairns this time staying at Wintersun,Trinity Beach. This park is just north of Cairns, away from the real tourist area but within very easy porximity to Cairns itself. We found staying in Cairns proper to be full of to many backpackers. Hopefully this helps. Best of luck with the trip.
AnswerID: 348

Sponsored Links