ExploreOz gets a good review

Good points include comprehensive and up to date POI data base, map detail, great feedback and response.

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2021 at 17:00

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2021 at 17:00
An excellent review, IMHO.

One point, though. Stephan says once you drop a pin and make a POI (Place in EO terms) you can't edit its position, eg if you do an approximate one on the fly.

If it's an identifiable feature on the map, you can.

1 When you create the POI/Place, save it as Private (or in the latest V5.0.7, Personal)
2 At your leisure, maybe in camp, go back to the Place you created, zoom right in for max detail, scroll the map until the crosshairs are accurately placed on the feature and drop a temporary pin (but don't save it). Note the coordinates.
3 Go back to the Place you created, open it for editing, edit the coordinates and save again.

Done.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634962

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2021 at 22:12

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2021 at 22:12
Frank, wouldn't it be better if you could just pull the pin out and shove it back in a new spot?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 912399

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2021 at 23:19

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2021 at 23:19
For sure, Allan. There is a very neat tool for Place Administrators to move inaccurately placed Icons but it's only available on the website, not in the app and only for Admins. It allows a poorly located Place to be dragged and dropped to the correct location, if we can identify that.

Perhaps it can be built into the app for Personal Places, perhaps not - that would be up to D&M, who I'm sure are watching.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912400

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 17:40

Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 17:40
I agree with you Frank and final inclusion/editing/placing should be left to Place Administrators to maintain accuracy. I took ages to submit a change to admin for a 'dump point' at Bathurst, just down the road from me, because I wasn't fluent with the system.

If anyone could do it from Traveller it would end up a mess. I also have an iPad that we can use with or without the internet and it's very useful, actually I thought it would keep Fiona entertained for longer but she got jack of it after about 150km.

The wrap EOT got is well deserved because we have been in quite a few 'odd semi-remote' areas and it works great. I do not contribute here too often, maybe this will kick some life into me.

Regards Paul H

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912417

Reply By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 12:23

Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 12:23
Great review. There is so much to this app that many do not realise. It just takes time to fully learn its capabilities. There is not much it cannot do.
Maybe in the future road conditions, fuel prices and fuel use info can be added - as the website is set up with these facilities already

He did not mention how far advanced EOTraveller is with regard to users ability to update and add places etc. Being a totally interactive app it is constantly capable of being updated and its accuracy improved and users can submit unmarked tracks and trails to the datbase. That is huge - basically a learning mapping application .

Well done Michelle and David!!
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 634964

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 14:08

Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 14:08
As a Hema HX1 user for several years now, I am leaning more & more to replacing it with Exploroz Traveller when it dies. I currently have Traveller as a back up on ipad & iphone, but what I really would like to see is Exploroz provide a hardware/sofware, dash mountable dedicated GPS navigator (off road & turn by turn) to directly compete with the HX1. No doubt in my mind that Traveller is better than Hema's offering, but Hema isn't bad except in my experience the HX1 is let down by the quality/reliability of it's hardware. If Exploroz could put Traveller together with reliable dedicated hardware my choice would be a no brainer.

I don't have dash/cab space for a full size tablet, or to have separate turn by turn navigator & an off road navigator.

Am also looking forward to the 18k off grid maps.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 634965

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 14:35

Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 14:35
You can buy "refurbished" iPad minis, or iPhones, at reasonable prices. We bought a "refurbished" iPhone and it hasn't missed a beat.
You will need it to be a +Cellular model so it can work anywhere.
I think I would find the phone screen a bit too small. The iPad is great if you can fit it in ........there are floor mounted iPad holders available as well.
We love using the exploroz program and maps, and only have Hema as a backup. Good luck !!

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 912409

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 15:22

Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 15:22
Thanks Jim, no space for floor mounted without becoming too cluttered, nor in the dash itself. Agree a phone is too small. Only acceptable location is where the HX1 currently sits on top of the dash. Not sure how the size of an ipad mini compares to an HX1, (which is a good size for me - a balance between being able to see the screen contents clearly, & not obscuring my driving vision too much). If a similar size I guess a refurbished ipad mini might be ok. It may also be the best option, as I doubt I'll buy a 3rd HX1. I'd be interested in how the ipad mini handles the windscreen heat up on the dash. Previously I've had an Ipad (an older ipad3) spit the dummy & close down due to heat on only a 30 degree day & not in the windscreen, nor in direct sun. Even my wife's current model ipad seems to run very hot in the car if being used with a navigator - on her lap/out of direct sun.

I still think a purpose built (designed to handle rough roads & windscreen heat) Traveller based navigator unit would be very desirable.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 912410

Follow Up By: Rob A2 - Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 15:48

Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 15:48
We've been using an iPad mini 2 for around the last 6 years with the Hema map sets and now with the addition of the EO map sets. It is contained within a ruggedised case and grips to the windscreen using a RAM mounting system. Nothing has fallen off or failed despite around 2000,000km of outback travel and over almost every track apart from the Canning.

We custom built, out of cardboard, a panel to act as a shield between the windscreen and back of the iPad due to it throwing overheating warnings which has fixed the problem

The latest upgrade of EO with the new mapping combined with the opposition increasing costs and lowering the mapping quality have convinced me to make EO the go to map set for both planning and touring

Rob
Rob Ackland

FollowupID: 912412

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 16:00

Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 16:00
"I still think a purpose built (designed to handle rough roads & windscreen heat) Traveller based navigator unit would be very desirable."

Desirable, but I would think totally out of the question for any concern less than an international electronic giant. Their phones and tablets cover most bases, and are mostly very reliable.
With more research you may be able to find something workable.
Good luck.
Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912414

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 16:01

Thursday, Feb 04, 2021 at 16:01
Thanks Rob, that is about as good a recommendation as it's possible to get. (Even if you have an inadvertant extra zero on your mileage ;) ) I think I now know which direction I'll be going - pun intended :) - when our Hema gives up the ghost. We also have a home made heat shield between the windscreen & our HX1.

Sadly Jim I think you are probably right, however Hema are not an international electronics giant & have their HX1's made offshore in batches I believe. This I imagine may be responsible for the irritating hardware reliability issues I have experienced with ours.

FollowupID: 912415

Follow Up By: Rob A2 - Saturday, Feb 06, 2021 at 14:35

Saturday, Feb 06, 2021 at 14:35
Cuppa the iPad offers up considerably more functionality compared to a simple mapping display. As the iPads are solid state and built to be as close to child proof as possible for school use they are at least equally as robust as any pure mapping display I have pulled down and I have owned 3 of the HEMA product all of which were pensioned off very quickly compared to our iPad mini. So I have to say from our experience there is no question of how robust these things are when compared to a simple map display and processor.

The additional benefits from a tablet are: you can use it for emails and pretty much all the normal internet stuff you do at home as well as checking your mapping and probably Wiki Camps and the like whilst on the move. As long as you have one with a SIM card. You can either hotspot off your mobile phone (coverage dependent of course) or just use a PAYG SIM

All the best with the search

Rob
Rob Ackland

FollowupID: 912433

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Feb 06, 2021 at 14:58

Saturday, Feb 06, 2021 at 14:58
Thanks again Rob. I think the need for any more searching is no longer required. Just a matter of how long our HX1 lasts for. Really thought it had karked it last Monday when it would not switch on. I suspect we'll stick with it (in conjunction with Exploroz Traveller as back up) whilst it's still useable & then change to your set up.
Do you know if all ipad mini models are the same size? And if so what the model of RAM mount is that you have. A windscreen mount which remains on the windscreen on rough roads is worth it's weight in gold!

FollowupID: 912434

Follow Up By: Rob A2 - Saturday, Feb 06, 2021 at 16:31

Saturday, Feb 06, 2021 at 16:31
The RAM mount we have is one I designed for use with underground vehicles so it's almost bulletproof and almost overkill but the proof of it is the fact that it hasn't fallen off over some really bad corrugations, GCR, Tanami, and everywhere else in between. I will try and find the part numbers and post a couple of photos when I get a spare moment. I'm in the middle of helping a bloke in WA get a camper and LC200 from Adelaide to Perth which has to be on a ship in the next few days

Rob
Rob Ackland

FollowupID: 912435

Follow Up By: Gramps - Saturday, Feb 06, 2021 at 17:03

Saturday, Feb 06, 2021 at 17:03
Try a search for "windscreen mounts" like this one. Mount survived GCR, Tanami, CSR etc etc without a problem. Resellers will advise what mount suits what device.

No problems with vision front or side. As for those worried by the Police, let me know the next time you encounter Mr Plod on one of those tracks and he questions the legality or whatever of the mount.

Regards
FollowupID: 912436

Follow Up By: Rob A2 - Sunday, Feb 07, 2021 at 19:17

Sunday, Feb 07, 2021 at 19:17
Cuppa a photo of our RAM mount for the iPad as promised

Rob Ackland

FollowupID: 912445

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Feb 07, 2021 at 21:08

Sunday, Feb 07, 2021 at 21:08
Thanks again Rob, looks like a real beast of a thing!

FollowupID: 912446

Follow Up By: djm67 - Thursday, Feb 11, 2021 at 21:27

Thursday, Feb 11, 2021 at 21:27
Totally agree with the comment in regard to map detail, 144k maps are no good for me planning club days in forestry areas with dozens of roads and tracks.

I am told the 2021 map pack will be better, but that will be another purchase, wish I had of read some of the comments about it before I purchased it a couple of weeks ago, I really should of held off buying until the new maps dropped.
FollowupID: 912494

Follow Up By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Friday, Feb 12, 2021 at 08:17

Friday, Feb 12, 2021 at 08:17
I would have liked to be told of an updated version was coming out as I don't need mine 'till May/June, I have downloaded it but have not opened it at all since as I have no need for it yet.....
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

FollowupID: 912497

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Monday, Feb 08, 2021 at 15:20

Monday, Feb 08, 2021 at 15:20
Hello, after reading the reviews on this, I have just purchased traveller, now I cant find "eo topo" in my google store, only "explor oz tracker" are they the same? tia

AnswerID: 635004

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Feb 08, 2021 at 16:50

Monday, Feb 08, 2021 at 16:50
Hi aussiedingo

You can buy the EOTopo maps from the Exploroz website. Just look at Products, EOTOPO, and then search down the page to How to buy EOTopo.
Ask Michelle and David ( Help Desk) if in doubt about which version to buy.

Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912451

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Feb 08, 2021 at 22:01

Monday, Feb 08, 2021 at 22:01
The app is called Exploroz Traveller.EoTopo is the mapset.

Cheers Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 912453

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2021 at 06:58

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2021 at 06:58
Hi Aussiedingo

Im wondering if you are referring to the EO topo (app version) offline map pack which is purchased separately, if so you you download them from the app itself in data manager.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 912473

Follow Up By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2021 at 08:42

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2021 at 08:42
Thanks everyone, all done now! just have to learn how to work it

FollowupID: 912475