Leaf spring front eye bush removal

Submitted: Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 09:49
ThreadID: 14113 Views:7011 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

I am currently putting OME greasable shackles on my 97 Rodeo.

Although this probably relates to all Jap utes if not all leaf sprung vehicles.

I decided against a lift but while I was checking all the suspension bits and pieces discovered that the rubber bushes on the shackles were stuffed. I have replaced these once before so I thought this time I will give the greasable ones a go.

My trouble is that I can't get the bushes or the metal lining out of the front spring eye. I have tried everything short of a press of some kind (don't have one). I was thinking of drilling the rubber out to get some room in there to relieve pressures and then it should all just fall out.

The other thing is that these bushes look fine. When I replaced all the rubber shackle bushes last time I didn't replace these ones as they were fine and they still are.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get these bushes out or alternatively would I be better off leaving them in there? They do not appear to have any wear. I would think all the wearing would be on the bolt and the metal lining tube but they look fine too

Stumped.

Utemad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: biscuits - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 11:24

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 11:24
If the bushes are okay then i'd leave them. I'm about to do the same thing with my patrol - my shackle bushes are rooted, but hopefully the metal and rubber bush at the other end of the leaf is fine - so im going to try and just replace my shackle bushes front and rear.

If you do want/need to remove them, I would say they will probably need to be pressed out. I'd jack the front of the car up, pull both the leaves out, take them down to your local mechanics, pay them $10 and get them to pop the old metal bush out and put the new one in. Stick back in the car then repeat for rear leaves.

Dave.
AnswerID: 65018

Follow Up By: Utemad - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 11:32

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 11:32
Thanks for the reply. However I only have half the work to do as you. I am only doing the rear leaves. Front is torsion bar. Should probably check it out though........

I am certainly bending towards leaving the front eye bushes in place. Seems pointless to go to all the trouble to replace them when there is nothing wrong with them.

Utemad
FollowupID: 326011

Reply By: Utemad - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 12:32

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 12:32
Wierd answering my own question like this but for the benefit of all, here goes.

I just spoke to ARB and they said that the bushes do need to be pressed out however this can be done at home with a vice.

They also said that they ask the customer if they even want these 'eye' bushes replaced as they very rarely wear out. Save on labour cost.

So I know that mine are not worn so they are not being replaced.

Utemad
AnswerID: 65033

Reply By: ptcrowe - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 19:24

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 19:24
Ute mad make sure you keep your old nongreaseable shackles pins as a spare. I installed the greasable type and I snapped one of the pins at the thread where the grease line is drilled. It saved me a lot of hassles when i was able to just change out the broken one with one of my old ones.
AnswerID: 65105

Sponsored Links